Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #22,861 of 40,723
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #22,863 of 40,723
Upgrading to the W9’s doesn’t mean it would tame the bass, if that’s what is being suggested
I’m sure they will introduce the LX with the new DDs, and I’m sure the LX will continue to have the same levels of slam as it has today (just “better”). Wouldn’t make sense, in my humble opinion, to tune the LX differently...otherwise why would it need to exist?

I love my custom LX, but it wasn't until I owned them that I could listen to them for an extended period of time, and what I found is that the woofers move so much air that my ears ache. With the silver cable, I can listen louder and longer. Makes the highs more pleasing as well. I would upgrade the woofers simply to have their very best drivers.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #22,864 of 40,723
I love my custom LX, but it wasn't until I owned them that I could listen to them for an extended period of time, and what I found is that the woofers move so much air that my ears ache. With the silver cable, I can listen louder and longer. Makes the highs more pleasing as well. I would upgrade the woofers simply to have their very best drivers.
It pairs really well with EA Eros II as well. That's my go to pair for the LX. Matched the Ares II from LX with the A12t, another great match.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #22,865 of 40,723
So just to shed a little light as someone who knows an independent custom cable manufacturer... a small roll of about 100 feet of the Level 4 SPC litz cable retails to him for around $1,200. A 4 foot cable requires 4-4 foot strands equaling 16 feet. After the cost for buying the connectors and other material and using the whole roll to make various cables he nets about $500 profit. When you factor in the time it takes for him to make each one, mail it out, etc.. $500 isn’t much in actual time spent aka labor and logistics. The stuff isn’t cheap anyway you slice it. Now just imagine that on a larger scale... you have to charge enough to maintain production and pay your people.

Edit... To be clear, do I think it's bull? Absolutely. Being bull however doesn't make it any less reasonable. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #22,866 of 40,723
So just to shed a little light as someone who knows an independent custom cable manufacturer... a small roll of about 100 feet of the Level 4 SPC litz cable retails to him for around $1,200. A 4 foot cable requires 4-4 foot strands equaling 16 feet. After the cost for buying the connectors and other material and using the whole roll to make various cables he nets about $500 profit. When you factor in the time it takes for him to make each one, mail it out, etc.. $500 isn’t much in actual time spent aka labor and logistics. The stuff isn’t cheap anyway you slice it. Now just imagine that on a larger scale... you have to charge enough to maintain production and pay your people.

Edit... To be clear, do I think it's bull? Absolutely. Being bull however doesn't make it any less reasonable. It is what it is.
Local cable guy, many on here have bought from him, the cardas clear, it a very tidiest and time consuming work to made the 1960 cable, once comple and ship out he probably make less than 150 on each cable, for him it not how much he make but it the passion and the joy he get out of it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #22,867 of 40,723
Local cable guy, many on here have bought from him, the cardas clear, it a very tidiest and time consuming work to made the 1960 cable, once comple and ship out he probably make less than 150 on each cable, for him it not how much he make but it the passion and the joy he get out of it.
That's what I tell my clients too.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #22,868 of 40,723
@Jack Vang
interested to know how is the valky different to valky 2?

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #22,869 of 40,723
Amazing review as usual!
I've always admired your reviews, and since I agree with your reviews on the Wraith and the LX. I trust your input more. And I'm really excited to get the chance to hear the Odin soon!

Twister6 would be in the Hall of Fame of ToTL reviewers, if there was one. :) We need a thread to review the reviewers.

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #22,871 of 40,723
I like his reviews , even tho I think he might be shilling a little too much. I would rather trust Crin for a more honest opinion.

Well, this is head-fi, so I guess I should take it as a complement? :p

I get it, people no longer want neutral reviews, they want personal opinions with a reviewer preference. Ironically, I offered my personal critical opinion in both Legend X and Wraith reviews, even suggested EQ setting to "correct" the sound to my personal preference. The reaction was "well, maybe you don't like that much bass, but we do" and "well, too bad you are listening to regular daps and don't use more powerful sources".

Thus, I personally choose not to offer my opinion of what I like or don't like in the reviews. And you will never find in my reviews "omg, this is the best thing ever, you have to buy it!" never encouraging a blind buy. And you will never see "awards" in my reviews. I try to be informative, detailed, write something that is fun to read and easy to follow, and describe the sound as I hear it. Then, let you guys read and decide if this is the sound you want, if it appeals to you and your wallet.

I actually talked to Crin a few days ago. And I do like to read his articles as well. And I think it is great that we have different reviews and opinions from a different perspective on audio gear. As I mentioned before, in order to paint the full review picture, you need as many data points as you can get to connect all the dots!

Peace and love guys/gals and enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #22,872 of 40,723
I like his reviews , even tho I think he might be shilling a little too much. I would rather trust Crin for a more honest opinion.
Just to add to what Alex said himself. I have gotten to know him quite well over the past couple of years and the way I know him he does his reviewing simply because he loves this hobby, is genuinely interested in products and enjoys sharing his thoughts. I initially did not even know he has a demanding full time job, a family to take care of and only does the reviewing on the side. I am honestly amazed at the sheer amount of work he gets done for Tw6 and the care and attention he puts into it.

Of course you could argue that I am hopelessly biased, but there is a reason why I enjoy contributing to Tw6 and that has primarily to do with his down to earth personality.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #22,874 of 40,723
I dont think I ever seen an iem with an recessed uppermidrange....everyone is boosting that region for some reason.
Zeus XRA has recessed upper midrange :) but is a bit bright nevertheless.
https://crinacle.com/2019/12/06/torankus-thoughts-massdrop-zeus/
My apollo 10BA is more "audeze".

LCD-i4 has too, as well as other in ear audeze, see https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/audeze-lcd-i4/ and others.
Stax SR-001 and 002 too, https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/stax-sr-001-mk1/ etc.
We could probably find many else. Example? Jerry Harvey Layla 2...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #22,875 of 40,723
Zeus XRA has recessed upper midrange :) but is a bit bright nevertheless.
https://crinacle.com/2019/12/06/torankus-thoughts-massdrop-zeus/
My apollo 10BA is more "audeze".

LCD-i4 has too, as well as other in ear audeze, see https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/audeze-lcd-i4/ and others.
Stax SR-001 and 002 too, https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/stax-sr-001-mk1/ etc.
We could probably find many else. Example? Jerry Harvey Layla 2...
What do your ears tell you? Might be best to ask the folks that own it, and get an opinion. Graphs can't show tone, timbre and certainly not emotions. Listen to music, that is what brought us all here in the first place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back