Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 9, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #21,586 of 40,723
Okay these sound freaking amazing. I know its honeymoon period and way too early to make any proper judgement, but this is the best "out of the box" sounding IEM I've ever heard.

Initial impression is that they sound noticeably more balanced than the OG LX. The gripe I've had with the OG is that the bass can sound a little bit disjointed from the rest of the music, and the treble sounds a bit recessed. Wide bore tips certainly helped, but it still hasn't got the balance of the IER-Z1R or Solaris 2020. However the SE immediately sounds more cohesive. I don't feel like I'm missing anything in the treble region. It actually sounds quite airy. But then it still has that epic bass. Mids are pushed forward so there's a slightly better sense of clarity and detail in that region. Maybe a slight reduction in mid bass, but it certainly in no way sounds lacking. It's still an LX lol...

Anyway, will keep listening throughout this week and share a bit more of a comparison once the dust has settled :)
Was i right about SE vs LX? Balanced is the keyword that first jumped at me but still fun

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #21,587 of 40,723
Was i right about SE vs LX? Balanced is the keyword that first jumped at me but still fun

You were right, 100%

I've listened to them all day and they are exactly as you say, balanced and fun :) brilliant IEM. Absolutely loving it

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #21,588 of 40,723
It will feature more tech than the Wraith. It will come equipped with a higher end cable than the Wraith. It will cost us more to manufacture than the Wraith. It will be less expensive than the Wraith :)

This ^^
The Nemesis and Phantom have been almost life-changing for me; taking the music I love to whole new levels and opening my mind to sound signatures previously undreamed-of.
I still plan to get the Legend X and I sure as heck want this Odin too lol.

Love you guys, love what you've achieved and how you STILL keep pushing the bar higher and higher. Huge respect to Jack, Dean and the team :heart_eyes:
I pledge my allegiance to the Empire :ksc75smile:

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #21,589 of 40,723
It will feature more tech than the Wraith. It will come equipped with a higher end cable than the Wraith. It will cost us more to manufacture than the Wraith. It will be less expensive than the Wraith :)
Insert: *eyes shining emoji* 🤩

You guys are amaizing. Looking forward for my next CIEM!

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #21,590 of 40,723
I must have missed the X SE. what changes?

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #21,591 of 40,723
I must have missed the X SE. what changes?
It was a limited edition produced for EE's HK distributor. All internal wiring done by Effect Audio, which obviously has an impact on the sound sig. Otherwise internally the same. Different faceplate as you can see by @Damz87 pic.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #21,592 of 40,723
Is that the new plan now? If things have calmed down and/or the vaccine is out, you bet. I still have a job (distance learning teaching for now and we'll see when the fall semester starts how CA handles things) so the sky is the limit. Maybe you can get me to upgrade or supplement my Zeus, but I'm not so sure. With the PWAudio 1960, it's even more impressive. Something to be said for an IEM that lasts three years and is still so impressive. Not a great business model for you, though. :)

That's the plan or at least i've heard. Is it still December 12-13th @AxelCloris? As far as Zeus goes we don't mind one bit :)

Love my Bravado customs!
Wasn't impressed by Valkyrie myself, don't remember what "offended me"... I will definitely spend some time with LX next CanJam - maybe they will become my new favorites? :wink:

Valkyrie is probably our most "exciting" sounding IEM in the top end. Not particularly popular in the west but works well in countries like Japan. Personally I do think it can be taken down a tad but that's my personal preference.

zeus XR with 1960s 2w is a total winner, i agree 100%

and it plays well with each genre i listen to (and i listen to a lot of genres - rock , pop , ambient , prog house , funk, disco), so i just have this one and i am good to go , no need for specific genres-only iems

I love the 1960s 2 wire. Mids and bass is :clap:

Okay these sound freaking amazing. I know its honeymoon period and way too early to make any proper judgement, but this is the best "out of the box" sounding IEM I've ever heard.

Initial impression is that they sound noticeably more balanced than the OG LX. The gripe I've had with the OG is that the bass can sound a little bit disjointed from the rest of the music, and the treble sounds a bit recessed. Wide bore tips certainly helped, but it still hasn't got the balance of the IER-Z1R or Solaris 2020. However the SE immediately sounds more cohesive. I don't feel like I'm missing anything in the treble region. It actually sounds quite airy. But then it still has that epic bass. Mids are pushed forward so there's a slightly better sense of clarity and detail in that region. Maybe a slight reduction in mid bass, but it certainly in no way sounds lacking. It's still an LX lol...

Anyway, will keep listening throughout this week and share a bit more of a comparison once the dust has settled :)

Congrats! These are rather hard to come by!

This ^^
The Nemesis and Phantom have been almost life-changing for me; taking the music I love to whole new levels and opening my mind to sound signatures previously undreamed-of.
I still plan to get the Legend X and I sure as heck want this Odin too lol.

Love you guys, love what you've achieved and how you STILL keep pushing the bar higher and higher. Huge respect to Jack, Dean and the team :heart_eyes:
I pledge my allegiance to the Empire :ksc75smile:

Many thanks for the kind words @Layman1! Really glad you're enjoying the Nemesis and Phantom, both overlooked often especially the Nemesis.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #21,593 of 40,723
Using little adapters, I put the EA Virtuoso cable from my Solaris on my LX, and I really like how it reins in the bass a bit (I immediately noticed I could listen at higher volume and for longer before that dull aching from so much air pressure on the eardrums kicks in.) The Virtuoso cable is SPC, and I'd like to get an EA Premium Series silver cable with the proper connectors. My goal is to tone down and tighten up the bass and make the high end more open and spacious like the Solaris. Eros II is often mentioned as a great cable for the LX, but what about going all silver with the Thor Silver II? How would Eros II compare with Thor Silver II in terms of sound?

I have a Thor Silver II 8-wire with my LX - since last year. I have experienced a genuine improvement across the spectrum. The Thor II has tangibly tamed/tightened the bass, while opened up the mids and uppers. Across many genres of music, it performs really well for me. Feel like I’ve found my endgame cable match for the LX now. My next purchase will likely be a pair of Vision Ears Elysium; as for this sound profile, the LX with Thor II 8-wire is as good as I can reasonably expect: GREAT pairing!

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #21,595 of 40,723
Valkyrie is probably our most "exciting" sounding IEM in the top end.
That was probably the reason I was not excited :wink:
For me - the bass need to be exciting. NOT the treble...

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #21,596 of 40,723
I think the thing that turned me off the Valks were the non-existent lower mids. Everything else seemed ok, though it did sound a tad metallic, might be the uppermids/treble. omega boost. Preferred LX by a long shot.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #21,597 of 40,723
Odin hype is back on track! Hoping to A/B it with Sultan at Headfoneshop.

I do hope it's the one that captures me. Currently I'm still a bigger fan of the Olympus series, having owned 3 models from that (Spartan,Athena, Zeus) and 1 from the X and EP series respectively (Phantom and Valkyrie). Admittedly the X and EP is pushing the envelope compared to the Olympus line, it's just not my cup of tea (Yet?)

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #21,598 of 40,723
Odin hype is back on track! Hoping to A/B it with Sultan at Headfoneshop.

I do hope it's the one that captures me. Currently I'm still a bigger fan of the Olympus series, having owned 3 models from that (Spartan,Athena, Zeus) and 1 from the X and EP series respectively (Phantom and Valkyrie). Admittedly the X and EP is pushing the envelope compared to the Olympus line, it's just not my cup of tea (Yet?)
+1 Headfoneshop

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #21,600 of 40,723
That was probably the reason I was not excited :wink:
For me - the bass need to be exciting. NOT the treble...

Same goes for me. In my case, my high frequency hearing is very sensitive, and the Valks were uncomfortably bright. Not sibilant or otherwise crappy... just too much energy in those frequencies. But, today my Thor Silver II showed up, and my custom LX's sound spectacular. I'm basically done here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back