Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 28, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #17,776 of 40,675
You got a LX hooked up to 1950s AND a Layla II, you don't need a Zeus..... Pssssht I was joking. Get a Phantom too

I've fulfilled my goal of owning a JH monitor, but now it's time to try some other goodies :)

May 28, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #17,777 of 40,675
I've fulfilled my goal of owning a JH monitor, but now it's time to try some other goodies :)
Owning a JH monitor will always be a dream for me. That tunable bass pot just isnt my cup of tea. And then again I have a Zeus and Phantom, JH Who?

Now that I have a WM1A in hand the next decisions begins: do I get the 1960 for Zeus or do I get LX and 1950

May 28, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #17,778 of 40,675
Owning a JH monitor will always be a dream for me. That tunable bass pot just isnt my cup of tea. And then again I have a Zeus and Phantom, JH Who?

Now that I have a WM1A in hand the next decisions begins: do I get the 1960 for Zeus or do I get LX and 1950
Get it ALL, so you dont have to make decisions

May 28, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #17,779 of 40,675
The Zeus are back up on Drop... Someone buy my K10's please
Thanks for posting. My spam box has been showing me "Drop," didn't realize the name had changed. I just snapped up a pair for backup for my Zeus XR. I listen almost exclusively to the lV side anyway, so this should be nice. And I have no desire for any other iems. Zeus are it for me.

May 28, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #17,781 of 40,675
You got a LX hooked up to 1950s AND a Layla II, you don't need a Zeus..... Pssssht I was joking. Get a Phantom too

Get it ALL, so you dont have to make decisions

Thanks for posting. My spam box has been showing me "Drop," didn't realize the name had changed. I just snapped up a pair for backup for my Zeus XR. I listen almost exclusively to the lV side anyway, so this should be nice. And I have no desire for any other iems. Zeus are it for me.

I pulled the trigger on the Zeus's as well :)

Time to put the 1960's on the Zeus, and for now a Black Dragon on the Layla's :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #17,782 of 40,675
Is it identical to the $2000 zeus XIV?
Not quite, see the chart from massdrop
SmartSelect_20190528-164624_Chrome.jpg

May 28, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #17,784 of 40,675
Jack told me it was the same but I assume the different materials in the shells and the tubes will affect things. Should be a nice ride. I'll need a balanced cable for it (baby's gotta have new clothes) but I'll hold off until it arrives and I can burn it in some and then listen to the stock SE. My XR took about 30-40 hours to get really good and then it just kept getting better.

May 29, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #17,785 of 40,675
Jack told me it was the same but I assume the different materials in the shells and the tubes will affect things. Should be a nice ride. I'll need a balanced cable for it (baby's gotta have new clothes) but I'll hold off until it arrives and I can burn it in some and then listen to the stock SE. My XR took about 30-40 hours to get really good and then it just kept getting better.

if you come across a used/mint Lionheart go for it - i also have aresii (8 wire) and i am not using it after getting LH , it is a muchmuch better cable the sound is more balanced and not boomy like it is with ares ii 8w

keep it in the back of your head in case you come across one , great cable and you won't break the bank getting one

May 29, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #17,786 of 40,675
Boomy? Not with my Astell SP000 SS. Your WMA is a much warmer DAP. No boom here. I AM thinking of going for a slightly warmer cable (probably not EA, as the Ares ll+ had a pronounced low end I didn't like). Something under $300 in copper, with a bit more timbre but not something that will lose the transparency and the upper end. Just for those albums mixed a little lean.

May 29, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #17,787 of 40,675
Boomy? Not with my Astell SP000 SS. Your WMA is a much warmer DAP. No boom here. I AM thinking of going for a slightly warmer cable (probably not EA, as the Ares ll+ had a pronounced low end I didn't like). Something under $300 in copper, with a bit more timbre but not something that will lose the transparency and the upper end. Just for those albums mixed a little lean.

Should have a Dunu Hulk cable arriving shortly I'm planning to hook up to my Zeus. 7N OCC copper and Dunu's new awesome plug style connector - will let you know if it's a good match for the king of Olympus (and slides in under $300 too).

May 29, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #17,788 of 40,675
Copper cables and the Zeus are hard to find a good pairing. I've tried a bunch and the 1960 2w ended being the only one I was satisified with it. I sold mine because of concerns about the durability of 2.5mm, and just looking at the price tag.

I've been trying to find a cable maker willing to entertain a bespoked request using 26 and 24 AWG copper wires per the 1960. I really want to see how much if that "US Sourced Copper" is worth the price tag. EA doesn't have 24 AWG copper though.

May 29, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #17,789 of 40,675
Has anyone tried LX with Moon Black Dragon V1 cable?

May 29, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #17,790 of 40,675

boomy is an exaggeration , i used a wrong desciption maybe i needed to say it's a better pairing with XR -i feel like ares makes the mids seem hollow with XR while the bass is tuned much more instead . also the timbre is better (less grainy) with LH , which is also another + in my ears

btw the bold part in your post is very clse to how LH pairs/sounds with XR (and wm1a which is not a warm DAP ,i hate warm iems/daps mind you)

anyway , maybe one day you can audition a LH and see the differences/improvements it brings next to aresii 8w (and both cables cost me around 250 euros so i find LH to be the better cable easily)

cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back