Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #17,671 of 40,587
I went from an Angie to a Zeus XR and the difference was immense. Same DAP for both (SPK SS). The Angie was really nice, I liked it a lot, but the level of clarity with the Zeus is something else entirely. I also have a UERM and the difference was not quite so immense, but so noticeable that I haven't used the UERM in much more than a year. As to bass, it really depends on the track and type of music. It doesn't add bass, but if it's there it can be almost too much sometimes. I just listened to the Eurythmics hits album and it sounds really warm. All depends on taste.

I wasn't happy with the Phantom, I found the vocals too thick, female and male. They certainly weren't too thin or weak. The Phantom is a bit laid back in the mids, though (especially compared to a Zeus or a UERM). And certainly not enough upper end for me. Just not my cup of tea.

May 11, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #17,672 of 40,587
Funny. I wouldn't agree with this at all....imo female vocals sound beautiful on the Phantom.
Subjective feelings are relative. :)
Well keep in mind I felt that off the stock Aries II. A switch to any silver cable fixed that instantly.

May 15, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #17,674 of 40,587
I like country, rock, pop, some bluegrass, and some jazz. Mostly country, rock and pop though.

I like ZMF headphone signature sounds.

I want to audition some IEMs and am thinking the Phantom and Legend X, but am wondering if it is worth adding the Zeus XIV too?

May 15, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #17,675 of 40,587
I like country, rock, pop, some bluegrass, and some jazz. Mostly country, rock and pop though.

I like ZMF headphone signature sounds.

I want to audition some IEMs and am thinking the Phantom and Legend X, but am wondering if it is worth adding the Zeus XIV too?
Definitely worth trying all three

May 15, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #17,676 of 40,587
if you're gonna shell 2K for XIV i suggests you add 300$ and get XR

the versatility of having 2 TOTL in one shell , is worth it

May 15, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #17,677 of 40,587
How does the XR go to XIV and back? Is it similar to JL Audio’s variable bass of which I am familiar?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #17,681 of 40,587
So many great comments comparing the three IEMs you are asking about. The only one I haven't owned is the Phantom.

X and Zeus come at it from different ends. The Zeus is one of the cleanest sounding IEMs I have heard. It is very difficult to beat it's clarity and transparency.

The X, out of the box, is deep, bassy and yet still able to extend in it's treble. With time, the X reveals it's full detail capabilities and becomes more balanced while retaining it's rich bass overtones. Both are technically some of the best available.

You need to decide what your preferred sound signature is.

May 16, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #17,682 of 40,587
So many great comments comparing the three IEMs you are asking about. The only one I haven't owned is the Phantom.

X and Zeus come at it from different ends. The Zeus is one of the cleanest sounding IEMs I have heard. It is very difficult to beat it's clarity and transparency.

The X, out of the box, is deep, bassy and yet still able to extend in it's treble. With time, the X reveals it's full detail capabilities and becomes more balanced while retaining it's rich bass overtones. Both are technically some of the best available.

You need to decide what your preferred sound signature is.

amen to that brother. :D

May 16, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #17,683 of 40,587
I plan to audition the following:

Empire Ears Legend X
Empire Ears Phantom
Empire Ears Zeus XR
64 Audio U12t
JH Audio Lola
JH Audio Roxanne.

I will have to do each company one at a time as I would not have the time to evaluate so many at once due to work and time constraints. If I could narrow it down some, I could do them all as close together as possible. There is enough on the credit card since I do not carry a balance on it.

As to my preferred sound, I like my JH Audio Angie and also my ZMF Auteur headphone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #17,684 of 40,587
I plan to audition the following:

Empire Ears Legend X
Empire Ears Phantom
Empire Ears Zeus XR
64 Audio U12t
JH Audio Lola
JH Audio Roxanne.

I will have to do each company one at a time as I would not have the time to evaluate so many at once due to work and time constraints. If I could narrow it down some, I could do them all as close together as possible. There is enough on the credit card since I do not carry a balance on it.

As to my preferred sound, I like my JH Audio Angie and also my ZMF Auteur headphone.

Thoughts?

Eliminating the Lola based on my research. That means only the U12t and Roxanne are not Empire Ears where three are on the list. I will reduce the number of IEMs based on customer service.

How is Empire’s customer service? My perception is that it is good. I will ask about the other two in their respective threads.

May 16, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #17,685 of 40,587
Eliminating the Lola based on my research. That means only the U12t and Roxanne are not Empire Ears where three are on the list. I will reduce the number of IEMs based on customer service.

How is Empire’s customer service? My perception is that it is good. I will ask about the other two in their respective threads.

It is absolutely brilliant, email them if you're unsure which is for you or if you're torn.

When they had the clearance sale for the previous series, I had to choose between the 6 driver Hermes or 8 driver Athena, being in Melbourne, I had no chance of trying out any EE IEMs. Gave them my sound preference, current headphones and what I want moving forward + improvements. And they recommended me the Hermes over the Athena based on that. Really helpful, and quick response as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back