Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 9, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #17,641 of 40,559
I feel ya, The Zeus would be a side step to the LX, complimentary, balanced haha. What DAP are you getting?

I'll just wait patiently for another XIV drop... I'm more interested in the XIV anyways.
WM1A. I previously considered that but skipped it due to having to convert about 10GB of tags and embedded album art. But after my hazardous experience and net loss with the SE100. I'll take it, also that battery life.

May 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #17,642 of 40,559
Amazingly, the Fedex truck managed to make it to the house yesterday by 6pm, so here's a first quick (and very personal) impression of the Bravado.

Beautiful, very comfortable, great balanced cable.

Bass: big, but very well defined, not overwhelming, doesn't intrude on the other frequencies. Fun!
Mids: contrary to what a lot of reviews have stated, I don't find the mids recessed at all. True, they don't take centerstage, but, in my opinion, they shouldn't anyway.
Treble: That was a big surprise, because for many years now, I've been mostly listening to dark headphones. The treble is sparkly, and makes everything lively. It's not spiky or harsh at all. It reminds me of the days where I was listening to music with Stax headphones on tube amps.

Soundstage is quite big, separation is great. Overall, I'm very happy.

Now I'm curious to hear other Empire IEMs. This might become my favorite brand.

I'll try to post more impressions after the balanced side of the ZX300 'burns in' (according to many), as the sound should keep improving.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5b5.jpg

May 9, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #17,643 of 40,559
Amazingly, the Fedex truck managed to make it to the house yesterday by 6pm, so here's a first quick (and very personal) impression of the Bravado.

Beautiful, very comfortable, great balanced cable.

Bass: big, but very well defined, not overwhelming, doesn't intrude on the other frequencies. Fun!
Mids: contrary to what a lot of reviews have stated, I don't find the mids recessed at all. True, they don't take centerstage, but, in my opinion, they shouldn't anyway.
Treble: That was a big surprise, because for many years now, I've been mostly listening to dark headphones. The treble is sparkly, and makes everything lively. It's not spiky or harsh at all. It reminds me of the days where I was listening to music with Stax headphones on tube amps.

Soundstage is quite big, separation is great. Overall, I'm very happy.

Now I'm curious to hear other Empire IEMs. This might become my favorite brand.

I'll try to post more impressions after the balanced side of the ZX300 'burns in' (according to many), as the sound should keep improving.

You seem to have pulled the trigger at the right time.

Mine are delayed for a week due to "a hiccup in case production".

I'll be a good boy 'till then.

May 9, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #17,645 of 40,559
Anyone know how the Phantom sounds compared to the 64 Audio A12t? How about build quality between the two?

May 10, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #17,646 of 40,559
Non V collar EE T-shirt spotted! :astonished: Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!! Need to get in touch to buy 3 bigboi sized for Canjam London :joy:

May 10, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #17,647 of 40,559
Anyone know how the Phantom sounds compared to the 64 Audio A12t? How about build quality between the two?
The Phantom have a more romantic sound, the overall feel is warmer and the timbre is (in my opinion) very accurate and instruments are full sounding. I only have the U12t, so not the CIEMs, and those are slightly more technical sounding. While I love both, I do prefer the Phantom because I like the colouration and find them more engaging, but that is really a personal preference.

May 10, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #17,648 of 40,559

Like @Wyville, I'm only able to compare the Phantom to the U12t. As he said, the Phantom is considerably warmer and fuller than the U12t. You'll hear tighter, more starkly defined instruments on the U12t, while the Phantom's emphasis on romanticism, body and tone will always come first. The U12t is quite a bit more neutral in tone. Its low-treble I believe is a hair bright. In the midrange, the U12t is the inverse of the Phantom. It has a laid-back, neutrally-positioned lower-midrange and a raised upper-midrange. So, instruments will sound livelier and will project with more force. The Phantom's lower-mid emphasis gives it that gorgeously euphonic timbre, but instruments project more calmly by comparison; more chestiness and less mouthiness.

In terms of build quality, the A12t will come with a 3D-printed shell. From experience, it looks like the 3D-printed shell is quite a bit thicker. That's the only thing I can go on, lest I attempt a drop test to see which breaks first. :D In terms of fit, it's worth noting that 64 Audio's fit is much tighter than Empire's. If you prefer a more relaxed fit, I'd suggest you notify 64 Audio beforehand.

May 10, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #17,649 of 40,559
Just bought the A&K SE100 to pair with my Hermes. One of the best combos I've heard (that fits my preference), thought the matchup was better sounding than Sony's offerings or the SP1000 series.

Next up, custom Phantoms!

May 10, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #17,650 of 40,559
The Phantom have a more romantic sound, the overall feel is warmer and the timbre is (in my opinion) very accurate and instruments are full sounding. I only have the U12t, so not the CIEMs, and those are slightly more technical sounding. While I love both, I do prefer the Phantom because I like the colouration and find them more engaging, but that is really a personal preference.

Like @Wyville, I'm only able to compare the Phantom to the U12t. As he said, the Phantom is considerably warmer and fuller than the U12t. You'll hear tighter, more starkly defined instruments on the U12t, while the Phantom's emphasis on romanticism, body and tone will always come first. The U12t is quite a bit more neutral in tone. Its low-treble I believe is a hair bright. In the midrange, the U12t is the inverse of the Phantom. It has a laid-back, neutrally-positioned lower-midrange and a raised upper-midrange. So, instruments will sound livelier and will project with more force. The Phantom's lower-mid emphasis gives it that gorgeously euphonic timbre, but instruments project more calmly by comparison; more chestiness and less mouthiness.

In terms of build quality, the A12t will come with a 3D-printed shell. From experience, it looks like the 3D-printed shell is quite a bit thicker. That's the only thing I can go on, lest I attempt a drop test to see which breaks first. :D In terms of fit, it's worth noting that 64 Audio's fit is much tighter than Empire's. If you prefer a more relaxed fit, I'd suggest you notify 64 Audio beforehand.

Thank you both! I like ZMF headphones, which are warmer, so I think the Phantom is better, but now it is between the Phantom and Legend X.

I wonder which is better for female vocals between Legend X and Phantom. I think they are both good for male vocals based on what I read.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #17,651 of 40,559
Just bought the A&K SE100 to pair with my Hermes. One of the best combos I've heard (that fits my preference), thought the matchup was better sounding than Sony's offerings or the SP1000 series.

Next up, custom Phantoms!
Don't drop that SE100 without bubble wrap around it, or intend to sell it and you'll be fine.

Thank you both! I like ZMF headphones, which are warmer, so I think the Phantom is better, but now it is between the Phantom and Legend X.

I wonder which is better for female vocals between Legend X and Phantom. I think they are both good for male vocals based on what I read.
I would say the LX based with the stock Aries on SE, Female vocals were very lacking and felt veiled on the Phantom, the No 5. on BAL improved it quite a quite a bit but still felt a bit veiled. I have a single crystal silver on it right now and it feels just right.

May 10, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #17,652 of 40,559
Non V collar EE T-shirt spotted! :astonished: Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!! Need to get in touch to buy 3 bigboi sized for Canjam London :joy:

We had to put up quite the fight to get those crew necks. haha

Quick tally, would you guys rock EE merch if we were to release something?
Is there anything you would want to see? :sunglasses:

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #17,654 of 40,559
We had to put up quite the fight to get those crew necks. haha

Quick tally, would you guys rock EE merch if we were to release something?
Is there anything you would want to see? :sunglasses:
New model IEM's? Just kidding!

.......kind of. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back