Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #15,766 of 40,587
BTW I may have some b-stock Legend X and Phantom UIEMs. PM me if interested =)
Still very interested in Legend X, but I am going to pretend I did not see this. You know, just to make sure my wife does not kill me. :D

anigif_enhanced-16629-1422929562-2.gif

(I will demo them at Rick's store in Amsterdam once we have moved back to the Netherlands. :wink: )

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #15,768 of 40,587
(I will demo them at Rick's store in Amsterdam once we have moved back to the Netherlands. :wink: )

like we said , only demo what you can afford - only thing that saved me after deoming wm1z , is that it's too expensive/not good bang for buck (wm1a is the bfb dap there) so i could not justify paying 2000 euros for it (peace of mind retained , for now)

in EE news , i switched from the eos to my pw no5 cable back into zeus , and i like how the sound seems to beef up (compared to the more lean Eos)

i may end up buying a good copper cable for zeus someway down the road , only upgrade i can justify

but zeus sounds great even with a 150$ cable , this is a great point of zeus

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #15,769 of 40,587
like we said , only demo what you can afford - only thing that saved me after deoming wm1z , is that it's too expensive/not good bang for buck (wm1a is the bfb dap there) so i could not justify paying 2000 euros for it (peace of mind retained , for now)

in EE news , i switched from the eos to my pw no5 cable back into zeus , and i like how the sound seems to beef up (compared to the more lean Eos)

i may end up buying a good copper cable for zeus someway down the road , only upgrade i can justify

Why not try the next step up, the PW saladin

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #15,770 of 40,587
Why not try the next step up, the PW saladin

i prefer to go for something like 2-3 steps up , eos/pw 5 are good for that 200$ level

the question is convincing myself to spend 500+ for a cable

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #15,771 of 40,587

I recommend the Penon CS819 if you're just looking for a different copper flavour for your Zeus (well, 8-braid copper and SPC hybrid, technically). Never tried the PW, but If be interested to know if it's better, worse or similar from someone who has tried both. Personally, for the money (about $55) it's the best bang for buck cable I've heard, and my current Zeus-XR cable.

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #15,772 of 40,587
I recommend the Penon CS819 if you're just looking for a different copper flavour for your Zeus (well, 8-braid copper and SPC hybrid, technically). Never tried the PW, but If be interested to know if it's better, worse or similar from someone who has tried both. Personally, for the money (about $55) it's the best bang for buck cable I've heard, and my current Zeus-XR cable.

i think i read a post from you about it yesterday that picked my interest - i remember thinking this seems interesting cable

care to elaborate more on the synery/pairing with Zeus XR ?

i found a buying link here

https://penon-official.com/product/penon-cs819/

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #15,773 of 40,587
i think i read a post from you about it yesterday that picked my interest - i remember thinking this seems interesting cable

care to elaborate more on the synery/pairing with Zeus XR ?

i found a buying link here

https://penon-official.com/product/penon-cs819/

That's the one.

I'm not listening to Zeus-XR much at the moment as I've got a ton of reviews I'm trying to finish, so take this with a grain of salt as its not "fresh", but to me, the CS819 adds a little dash of warmth and a little more emphasis on the bass. The cable gives a nice organic "tone" to the mids and highs (a little warmer than stock), and highs are smoothed slightly in presentation but don't lose detail.

As a caveat, these are all SMALL changes to the overall sound to my ears, but it does what a stereotypical good copper cable is supposed to and brings a little bit of body and warmth, but it doesn't cloud the upper frequencies, so all that good stuff in the Zeus treble is still there.

Will try and have a proper listen at some point this week and come back with some more in depth thoughts, but that's my initial takeaway.

Also, this is mainly out of ZX300 single ended output, with a brief session on the Mojo (a recent acquisition).

Hope that helps?

I'm actually tempted to try one of their other cables on my Athena at some point soon - love the ergonomics.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #15,774 of 40,587
A bit of advice please everyone.

I already have the Zeus-R CIEM and despite my best efforts to try a set out, I can't get a good deal for the Legend X in the EU. Import duties in the UK are a b1tch!!!!!

I'm more than happy with the Zeus' to be perfectly honest, but should I pay RRP on a set of LX's, or just be satisfied with what I have? Is the sound signature that different to warrant such an outlay?

I would trawl through pages and pages of this thread, but that could take an age, so I'm hoping for some kind folks with offer their 2p.

If anyone fancies a trade/loan/swap, see my thread in the Classifieds.

Thanks, Kev

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #15,775 of 40,587
i prefer to go for something like 2-3 steps up , eos/pw 5 are good for that 200$ level

Saladin plus for u then, @Deezel177 's impressions were good

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #15,776 of 40,587
Saladin plus for u then, @Deezel177 's impressions were good

i will read about it

i had eos so long , i had forgotten how much nicely zeus pairs with copper cables

the sound has filled nicely while keeping amazing clarity/transparency - and this is a a measly 150$ copper cable

i can not imagine how zeus sounds with somehting like say pw 1960s 2-wire (which is the first cable i buy if i inherit money from a rich uncle)

edit :i found this comment by @Deezel177 about saladin plus+ on the a18 thread - hey chief would it be a good upgrade for Zeus XR ?

Personally, for your needs (i.e. more detail and stage expansion), I’d recommend either the Lionheart or the PWAudio Saladin+. The latter resembles the No. 5 in tone, but vastly improves its treble extension, so you get a much larger and more stable stage with more headroom and thus an ease in rendering detail as well.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #15,777 of 40,587
A bit of advice please everyone.

I already have the Zeus-R CIEM and despite my best efforts to try a set out, I can't get a good deal for the Legend X in the EU. Import duties in the UK are a b1tch!!!!!

I'm more than happy with the Zeus' to be perfectly honest, but should I pay RRP on a set of LX's, or just be satisfied with what I have? Is the sound signature that different to warrant such an outlay?

I would trawl through pages and pages of this thread, but that could take an age, so I'm hoping for some kind folks with offer their 2p.

If anyone fancies a trade/loan/swap, see my thread in the Classifieds.

Thanks, Kev

The Legend X offers a very different signature by virtue of the bass alone. If you already find the Zeus-R's excellent for every genre you listen to, then the added bass and the more neutral, dynamic, contrast-y presentation that the LX offers may not necessarily offer as much as its RRP suggests. But, if you're a fan of electronic music and tons of slam - and considering you have a Zeus to go back to for other genres - then it's definitely worth a look. Try contacting @Devon Higgins and asking whether or not a demo unit of sorts could be arranged for you.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #15,779 of 40,587
So.. I'm hoping to take advantage of the EE sale today and am having trouble deciding.. Up until about 15 mins ago I was pretty set on the Bravado but now I'm thinking ESR..
I'm one of those 2 channel guys (though ex-2channel now and missing it) and my main musical preferences is the new classical/crossover type stuff such as Olafur Arnalds, Max Richter, Johan Johannsson...

Any advice..? thanks..

ESR ordered and now the wait begins... I am very much looking forward to these!!
Thanks for the advice!

If you like a proper 2-channel-esque reference sound (not really sure what that means) and your source and cables aren't too lean, then i think you're going to love the ESRs. Admittedly im only in the first flushes of a new relationship, but i'cant believe they dont get talked about more on here. Perhaps like me, many just shoot for the top of the range or for he obvious crowd pleasers. You can tell they're born from the same tiny toolset as the Phantoms, yes they're neutral but i wouldnt say they're bass shy, to my ears they just play what's there and very musically so at that.

I've rattled through all my current favourite test tunes and most of the albums that they can be found in (all 16/44 to 24/192 files), predominantly listening to WM1Z, via 1960s 2 wire alternating between spin fit and Earsonics double flange ear tips (prefer the spinfits, less bass but better everywhere else),

Hello Mr Magpie/ Radiohead
Burn the witch/ Radiohead
Aventime/ agnes obel
Downtown lights/ Blue Nile
Fotzepolitic High/ Cocteau twins
Walkin' with jesus / Spaceman 3
Green Gloves/ The National
When you sleep / My Bloody Valentine
The Ballad/ New Look
Your Silent Face / New Order
Energy Flash & The Scorpion/ Joey Beltram
Give it Up / LCD Soundsystem
If you know you know/ Pusha T
Silhouettes (I,II,III)/ Floating points
Rollin' & Scratchin' - Daft Punk

So far I'm struggling to find fault and i'm hunting out music i've not listened to in longtime which is always a good sign.

Its bit early to give a final verdict, but i've not been this happy listening to music since i had to part with my Phantoms, and there's zero fatigue for those of you out there with upper mid sensitive lugs like mine.

I wont mention the price i paid in the classifieds here, because that would be poor form :wink:, but if you come from 2-channel where there's a staple expectation that your kit should sound good with all types of music then i think you might be very happy too.

happy enough to photograph them in a tree, well thats up to you :wink:

EE ESR IEM.jpg

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #15,780 of 40,587

You do not need to spend $500+ for a copper cable and just spend a bespoke EA Ares II 8 wire for only $350 including express shipping which is the best and affordable one IMO.
You can also ask Oldude about the review of both Zeus and Ares II 8wire combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back