Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #12,916 of 40,606
I agree with all of D's comments above. I've owned all three and the LX is the only one I've kept. The LX definitely delivers oodles of bass, but I find it to be far more articulate and textured than, for example, the CA Vega. It performs stunningly with electronic music (to which I dedicate a good chunk of my daily listening time), but is nonetheless an incredibly versatile IEM. I find it to be just as engaging with vocals and instrumentals - more so, in fact, than the Phantom - though it is highly sensitive to the quality of the source you are using.

I just tried both and I got a lot of driver flex from the legend x.

A Zeus XR demo universal set came up and I’m wondering how it compares to the phantom. Not sure if I should try the zeus

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #12,917 of 40,606
what's this driver flex thing i see mentioned lately ?

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #12,919 of 40,606
Did a quick demo using my iPad with FiiO Q5, on track lithium, by nirvana, the demo set sounds like plastic breaking on some notes

Not sure if it’s intended.

Anyone have any comments on Zeus XIV vs phantom? Am currently seeking alternative to my kaiser encore

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #12,920 of 40,606
Bass for daze.

If anybody is looking for me, I'll be in the bathroom with the Bravado. And some tissues.

DSC_0089[1].jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #12,921 of 40,606
Now I can’t decide between kaiser encore and phantom.

Encore have better clarity and separation while phantom have better bass and sounds more rich

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #12,922 of 40,606
Guys, I’m surprised the EVR are not widely discussed here.

Went to demo the entire series again today with a Friend. And the EVR is hands down the model that blew us over. For the price and the sound quality, I am shocked that the EVR are not as popular as the other models.

In fact I am really confident the EVR is able to compete with other totl models if your into forward mids and a heavily vocally centric sound signature.

EVR, is tube sounding and warm. However it’s airy enough to invoke a sense of freedom. The vocals are very forward making the signature so wonderfully energetic and fun.

The bass even though is lacking is still impactful enough to announce its presence.

Very very impressed with this hidden gem.

I think I’m getting this to complement my Zeus!!!

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #12,923 of 40,606
We also don’t hear a lot about the nemesis...anyone have one?

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #12,924 of 40,606
we need to get those EE tours rolling

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #12,925 of 40,606
Guys, I’m surprised the EVR are not widely discussed here.

Went to demo the entire series again today with a Friend. And the EVR is hands down the model that blew us over. For the price and the sound quality, I am shocked that the EVR are not as popular as the other models.

In fact I am really confident the EVR is able to compete with other totl models if your into forward mids and a heavily vocally centric sound signature.

EVR, is tube sounding and warm. However it’s airy enough to invoke a sense of freedom. The vocals are very forward making the signature so wonderfully energetic and fun.

The bass even though is lacking is still impactful enough to announce its presence.

Very very impressed with this hidden gem.

I think I’m getting this to complement my Zeus!!!

Was looking forward to trying this out, prolly gonna put some time down, isit more geared towards male or female vocals in your opinion sir.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #12,926 of 40,606
I just tried both and I got a lot of driver flex from the legend x.

A Zeus XR demo universal set came up and I’m wondering how it compares to the phantom. Not sure if I should try the zeus

Did you hear it while the music was playing? I’ve only ever heard it when inserting the IEM.

what's this driver flex thing i see mentioned lately ?

It’s a plasticky sound that the dynamic driver makes when inserting the IEM into the ear due to a shift in pressure, I assume. It happens with almost all DDs

Did a quick demo using my iPad with FiiO Q5, on track lithium, by nirvana, the demo set sounds like plastic breaking on some notes

Not sure if it’s intended.

Anyone have any comments on Zeus XIV vs phantom? Am currently seeking alternative to my kaiser encore

Nic compared the two somewhat in his Phantom review on THL. As someone who’s owned both, the Zeus is less natural in tone, with a neutral touch in the treble due to an upper-treble peak. In that sense, it’s more like the Kaiser Encore, though not as bright or energetic. The Phantom has a far superior bass in extension and impact. The Zeus is much lighter down low. Vocal presentation between the two is similar, though the Zeus has a chestier lower-midrange that can sound nasal-y with the wrong track.

Bass for daze.

If anybody is looking for me, I'll be in the bathroom with the Bravado. And some tissues.

Beautiful pics, man! I was on edge regarding the design, but the pics this time have truly done them justice. :wink:

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #12,927 of 40,606
Was looking forward to trying this out, prolly gonna put some time down, isit more geared towards male or female vocals in your opinion sir.

I would say the EVR can be considered an all rounder. I however tried it mostly with females vocalist. However, it took all types of genres that I threw at it with such grace.

Pop/rock/vocals/country. Everything sounded so good with it.

My Friend probably tried it with male vocals and both of us agree the EVR is really good... and that’s coming from 2 guys that owns and love Zeus a lot.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #12,928 of 40,606
Did you hear it while the music was playing? I’ve only ever heard it when inserting the IEM.

It’s a plasticky sound that the dynamic driver makes when inserting the IEM into the ear due to a shift in pressure, I assume. It happens with almost all DDs

Nic compared the two somewhat in his Phantom review on THL. As someone who’s owned both, the Zeus is less natural in tone, with a neutral touch in the treble due to an upper-treble peak. In that sense, it’s more like the Kaiser Encore, though not as bright or energetic. The Phantom has a far superior bass in extension and impact. The Zeus is much lighter down low. Vocal presentation between the two is similar, though the Zeus has a chestier lower-midrange that can sound nasal-y with the wrong track.

Beautiful pics, man! I was on edge regarding the design, but the pics this time have truly done them justice. :wink:

I got the flex while music was playing. Probably about 3 times during the track.

Any commends about kaiser encore vs phantoms? seems like you have experience with both.

I'm currently on the fence, not sure if i should get the phantom since i already have the Kaiser Encores. But then again i love a warm and intimate signature, as evident by my desktop pairing of lcd2 and a tube amp

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #12,929 of 40,606
I got the flex while music was playing. Probably about 3 times during the track.

Any commends about kaiser encore vs phantoms? seems like you have experience with both.

I'm currently on the fence, not sure if i should get the phantom since i already have the Kaiser Encores. But then again i love a warm and intimate signature, as evident by my desktop pairing of lcd2 and a tube amp

Well, the Phantom and the Kaiser Encore are wildly different IEMs, so they’d definitely complement each other quite well. Unfortunately, aside from the impressions I provided earlier, I can’t add much between the two because I haven’t heard the Encore in a while. When I get another chance to listen to it, I’ll let you know. :D

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #12,930 of 40,606

My personal preference would be the Phantom over the Encore. I found the Encore a little too bright for my taste. Bass is also more present in the Phantom. Overall, I would say the Phantom present a more coherent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back