Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #12,931 of 40,559
Well, the Phantom and the Kaiser Encore are wildly different IEMs, so they’d definitely complement each other quite well. Unfortunately, aside from the impressions I provided earlier, I can’t add much between the two because I haven’t heard the Encore in a while. When I get another chance to listen to it, I’ll let you know. :D

I love the bass on the phantom and the richer sound. Everything is more organic and natural as compared to Kaiser Encore. The encores sounds more hmm, clean and mechanical to a point? But when i get the cymbals from kaiser i'm thinking, damn thats crisp!

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #12,932 of 40,559
I had another listen to the Phantom today. Love the accuracy and clarity but I found the upper mids to have a little too much bite for my personal preference. I thought the same when I listened to it at CanJam but today I was able to hear it properly in a quiet and less hectic environment. I could live with it but I think some of the other models might suit me better. I want to go back and check out the ESR again as I enjoyed that quite a lot.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #12,933 of 40,559
I own Nobles, but like the EE's better personally. What folks don't think about when reading these incredible reviews etc...from the reviewers like Nic, Daniel, Pinky Twister and the rest (sorry, with MS I can't remember tons at once) is that when they say something has more sparkle on top, that DOESN'T mean that a Phantoms isn't AS extended. The others tip the treble, which when you go to listen to any live performance, isn't real. To me and many others who use them for say mixing or producing, they are using the Phantom's for a reason. It's the most accurate presentation they can get in a CIEM right now. Takes NOTHING away from great IEM's like the 64's or Nobles or CA's or......I promise you that for albums I listen to and have been at teh concerts, teh Phantom's do a GREAT job at portraying what I remember hearing. The highs have great extension and air when I hear triangles or cymbals or piano. In fact, the piano on Phantoms have percussion and sharpness that comes with a great piano recording. I get the BITE of sax too and when playing organ music, the sub bass is going into the 20's, or at least it seems to. BA bass is just different than dynamic bass in quantity, but it's got a ton of quantity when it's in the recording.

I know many want exaggerated highs or bass. It's fun at times for all of us and that's why so many of you own more than one IEM. To me I wanted a true reference for my first CIEM. I do love the Phantom. Do I feel it can be bettered? Oh you bet it can and it will eventually. I'm sure Dean is working on something to make it even better eventually. So are others and that's the fun part of this hobby, right?

All you reviewers I'd love to heard your thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong. I love to learn and bet shown I'm wrong :wink:. thanks guys.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #12,934 of 40,559
I love the bass on the phantom and the richer sound. Everything is more organic and natural as compared to Kaiser Encore. The encores sounds more hmm, clean and mechanical to a point? But when i get the cymbals from kaiser i'm thinking, damn thats crisp!

Yeah, that’s the Phantom’s most apparent con in my eyes: A lack of crispness and transient attack. This is why I have IEMs like the Lime Ears Model X or the Custom Art FIBAE 3 when crispness becomes a priority. But, more often than not, I come back to the Phantkm; what a home-y and natural sound. :)

I had another listen to the Phantom today. Love the accuracy and clarity but I found the upper mids to have a little too much bite for my personal preference. I thought the same when I listened to it at CanJam but today I was able to hear it properly in a quiet and less hectic environment. I could live with it but I think some of the other models might suit me better. I want to go back and check out the ESR again as I enjoyed that quite a lot.

Yeah, that upper-midrange peak is very interesting. It’s extremely track/volume/cable/DAP/burn-in-dependent, but it’s essential for articulation and clarity. I can personally tolerate it at its worst, but this is always the warning I throw out whenever anyone considers getting the Phantom. :D

I own Nobles, but like the EE's better personally. What folks don't think about when reading these incredible reviews etc...from the reviewers like Nic, Daniel, Pinky Twister and the rest (sorry, with MS I can't remember tons at once) is that when they say something has more sparkle on top, that DOESN'T mean that a Phantoms isn't AS extended. The others tip the treble, which when you go to listen to any live performance, isn't real. To me and many others who use them for say mixing or producing, they are using the Phantom's for a reason. It's the most accurate presentation they can get in a CIEM right now. Takes NOTHING away from great IEM's like the 64's or Nobles or CA's or......I promise you that for albums I listen to and have been at teh concerts, teh Phantom's do a GREAT job at portraying what I remember hearing. The highs have great extension and air when I hear triangles or cymbals or piano. In fact, the piano on Phantoms have percussion and sharpness that comes with a great piano recording. I get the BITE of sax too and when playing organ music, the sub bass is going into the 20's, or at least it seems to. BA bass is just different than dynamic bass in quantity, but it's got a ton of quantity when it's in the recording.

I know many want exaggerated highs or bass. It's fun at times for all of us and that's why so many of you own more than one IEM. To me I wanted a true reference for my first CIEM. I do love the Phantom. Do I feel it can be bettered? Oh you bet it can and it will eventually. I'm sure Dean is working on something to make it even better eventually. So are others and that's the fun part of this hobby, right?

All you reviewers I'd love to heard your thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong. I love to learn and bet shown I'm wrong :wink:. thanks guys.

To me, there’s as much value in v-shaped or energetic frequency responses as long as they’re executed well; otherwise, why’d I review anything else? :D But, I’m sure that’s not what you’re saying at all. The Phantom is a great representation of correctness and track transparency, and I’m glad everyone’s enjoying it as much as you are. :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #12,935 of 40,559

I have the Encore (which I really like,but like you said is quite bright and can add some fatigue in long sessions), I would suggest the Phantom and the EA Leonidas cable, that is going to add great resolution and transparency to the earphone.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #12,936 of 40,559
I have the Encore (which I really like,but like you said is quite bright and can add some fatigue in long sessions), I would suggest the Phantom and the EA Leonidas cable, that is going to add great resolution and transparency to the earphone.
Interesting enough I do have a pair of Leonidas. Sounds like I should try it out

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #12,937 of 40,559
So far have yet to see anyone prefer the Kaiser Encore over the Phantoms. Anyone have a differing opinion?

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #12,938 of 40,559
AR-M200 + Bravado + Anathema's "Deep" from their Universal (Fan's Edition) 2CD Live album. I kid you not; it feels as though the walls of my house are shaking. This is like a CIEM version of the CA Cascade.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #12,939 of 40,559
Here is my impression of the EE Xseries:
Bravado: Warm forward sound. Fun engaging sound with a viseral bass that rumbles like HIFi subwoofer. The highs has a nice sparkle. Soundstage feels like you are in a room but not congested. Definitely suits modern pop sound. Should be wonderful to use it for watching movies too.

Vantage: Warm, laid-back sound. It makes you feel like you are listening to an orchestra in a concert hall. Lush textured bass which give off the feeling that you are listening to concert bass drum instead of the usually fast impactful snares. Really different from the Bravado. Notes are abit fuller since low end bleeds abit into the mid.

Nemesis: Balance sound with an fast impactful low end. Widest soundstage between the 3. Feel like listening to a live concert in a stadium. Accurate bass that does not bleed into the mid-range unlike the Vantage. Would love the Nemesis if bass is slightly more impactful but not to level of the Bravado.

Went back home... While I like all 3 IEMs...however the viseral bass of the Bravado kept coming back to me. Maybe I am too used to my SVS subwoofer sound. The Nemesis sounds great throughout but it did not excite me. Vantage is pretty unique probably worth a second listen especially with jazz music that highlights double bass.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #12,942 of 40,559
I love the Bravado and end up listening to it more than the Spartan.

The descriptions of the Vantage are intriguing. I hope that the tour has several options that may include the Vantage and Nemesis.
You don’t need to wait for the tour, whatever IEM you would like to try, contact Ethan, just let him know what IEM you like to try put down a deposit for those IEM pay shipping and he send you the IEM to try, once return the IEM the deposit is back to you

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #12,943 of 40,559
Hi all.. I recently brought Phantom and thinking of getting the AK SP1000. Can someone recommend me to get the Cu or the SS best to pair up with my phantom? Or maybe the less expansive 2nd ak380

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #12,945 of 40,559

Users who are viewing this thread

Back