Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #12,886 of 40,559
Have you tried EQing down a bit of those frequencies? It may not be the sound signature you want and totally understand that sentiment if true. It may help alleviate some of what is triggered, maybe worth a try?

I agree, if EQ is an option, and if you have access to Parametric EQ, reduce 3 or 4 dB at 6200 Hz. It works for me.

thank you for the suggestions and its definitely a thought. i dont have an eq at the moment on any of listening set ups, accept for the Dx200 but i'll have try. To be honest i really want something that does the job for both work and the luxury time in the evening, which i get less and less of, listening to the music server via my hugo2. Hopefully EE might have some suggestions otherwise i'll try and cut my losses because i think i dont think the eq solution will be suitable for enough of my listening situations.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #12,888 of 40,559
Have you tried fiddling with the filters on H2? Trying to think of alternatives rather than selling and losing $$.

yes and sadly no joy and i really need them to work across my set ups, but thank you for the suggestion its much appreciated and yes it look like i'll probably have to take the hit, which is a bit of shocker on both levels losing the money and a sound i love. I believe worse things happen at sea :wink:

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #12,889 of 40,559
so sorry to hear. I know how you feel when there is something you love, but there is just one thing that won't work out. Hope they can figure it out for you. Keep us posted.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #12,890 of 40,559
thank you for the suggestions and its definitely a thought. i dont have an eq at the moment on any of listening set ups, accept for the Dx200 but i'll have try. To be honest i really want something that does the job for both work and the luxury time in the evening, which i get less and less of, listening to the music server via my hugo2. Hopefully EE might have some suggestions otherwise i'll try and cut my losses because i think i dont think the eq solution will be suitable for enough of my listening situations.
Try USB Audio Player Pro for the DX200. It can play bit perfect, has a built in parametric EQ, and can connect to Tidal and music servers.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #12,891 of 40,559
Try USB Audio Player Pro for the DX200. It can play bit perfect, has a built in parametric EQ, and can connect to Tidal and music servers.
Sounds better than Tidal offline too! Even with my gfs crappy earbuds she could easily hear the difference! Was that sexist?? Hope not. Gotta be so careful these days lol. K now wait, was that sexist?? Anyway, they could call me a sexist, charge me $100 for their app and I'd still gladly pay them with a smile on my face.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #12,893 of 40,559
Sounds better than Tidal offline too! Even with my gfs crappy earbuds she could easily hear the difference! Was that sexist?? Hope not. Gotta be so careful these days lol. K now wait, was that sexist?? Anyway, they could call me a sexist, charge me $100 and I'd still pay them with a smile on my face.

Off topic lol. How to use UAPP on DX200 ah? As in how to use it to connect to the HD tidal songs? Is it able to play the master quality files or only the normal 16bit flacs?

I’m playing around with Spotify/Apple music and the normal tidal app in DX200 with my Zeus but won’t mind trying the UAPP if I can get tidal master quality hahahah.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #12,895 of 40,559
how does the DX with amp 4 sound compared to my AK380cu?

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #12,896 of 40,559
how does the DX with amp 4 sound compared to my AK380cu?

Never tried ak380cu before. But I did try the normal 380.

Ak380 has a way blacker and cleaner background then the DX200 with amp4s. Soundstage wise I would say DX200 has a slight edge with the width and the height yet ak380 has a greater dept.

In terms of vocals both are very very good.

Bass however I will say DX200 has a slight edge as amp4s gives the sub bass a slight boost making the whole sound very meaty and fun.

As for treble AK380 will have the edge as it’s a tad smoother and effortless. DX200 is little peaky and aggressive at times. But I love this extra push in the treble as it lifts the female vocals to another level.

And DX200+Zeus+ amp4s+ares2+ is the combo to die for if your like me a female vocals lover hahaha.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,897 of 40,559
Back to actual topic. After using SpinFits on my Phantom for a few days, I switched back to Spiral Dots. The Spins are a bit warmer, but they also kind of clog up the soundstage. The Spirals have less overall warmth but have a much more defined soundstage and bass is still very good. At first they seemed dry, but now, in comparison they deliver much more information in the soundstage. It sounds a bit wider as well. Still a ton of timber, not even close to the delicacy and transparency of a Zeus. But it now seems clearer, instruments are more defined across the soundstage.

As to music, I'm finding that anything I have with strings/brass sounds great with the Phantom. Anything orchestral, wonderful. Lots of horns, wonderful. It's when I switch to 60's and 70's rock that the Phantom can become too warm and I'm back to the Zeus. Rock with horns and strings usually works fine with the Phantom. For instance, the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album. Box Scaggs' Moments album, at least the parts with more than just guitars, bass and drums, is fantastic. Just FYI.

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #12,899 of 40,559
Other oldguy, I too just listened to that BST album. Totally agree that it was special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back