Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #12,166 of 40,594
After just 10 minutes of listen to both, I have decided to sell both and will get custom fit for both, I had said that the word endgame doesn’t exist in this hobby but lx and phantom come very close to that word:smile_phones:

Agreed. Custom made IEMs perfectly fit your ears. That is why I did to my Spartan and will hopefully do the same to the Phantom by the end of this year.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #12,167 of 40,594
A bit late in this case, but for anyone on the fence I believe they have a program to demo before making a full purchase. You just cover shipping and make a refundable deposit for the price of the IEM.
Can you share more info of where that program and what kind of IEM they carry thanks

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #12,169 of 40,594
Can you share more info of where that program and what kind of IEM they carry thanks
I wouldn’t be the one to ask, try PMing@Ethan Groover as he’s the one that told me about this program when I was considering a universal Phantom. I didn’t want to wait though so I directly ordered a custom Phantom.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #12,170 of 40,594
I wouldn’t be the one to ask, try PMing@Ethan Groover as he’s the one that told me about this program when I was considering a universal Phantom. I didn’t want to wait though so I directly ordered a custom Phantom.

Agreed. Ethan took care of my order smoothly without any problems. @bvng3540 you should ask him to help! :smile_phones:

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #12,171 of 40,594
After just 10 minutes of listen to both, I have decided to sell both and will get custom fit for both, I had said that the word endgame doesn’t exist in this hobby but lx and phantom come very close to that word:smile_phones:

just remember that EE does not reshell their CIEMs anymore so if you decide to sell your customs i think there'll be a problem selling them easily as they won't be able to send them to EE for original reshelling

i have decided to stay put into purchasing Phantom until a solution comes to this matter

still waiting for @Jack Vang to chime in why this sudden and , most importantly, un-announced change of policy

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #12,172 of 40,594
Good day friends and readers. As promised earlier today, my impressions of the Legend X. Listening impressions were made after 200 hours of burn in. Stock Ares II cable used, source is my K-modded Sony WM1A, which has a meatier, more detailed, spacious and slightly warmer sound signature compared to stock WM1A.

So far I've listened to Hell Freezes Over, Macklemore's the Heist, MJ's greatest hits collection, and the XX's debut. Mainly because I'm familiar with certain passages of songs where serious bass kicks in.

Just a slight note on burn-in. I used MJ's Beat It to compare OOTB, and at 50-hour intervals of burning in. At the end of burn in the bass tightens up and the stage opens up marginally. Nice, since OOTB the bass was too flabby for my tastes.

IMG_20180320_164054.jpg

So let's start with the obvious. How's the bass? It's thunderous and impactful and well-rounded and reverbs with the skill of a well-tuned speaker system. The dynamic drivers are large and in charge. There isn't an overflow of subbass so you don't feel giddy or have bass headaches, but they move so much air the bass atmosphere shapes the tracks, lending a omimous/grandiose tone to them, and the bass air helps spaciousness by not congesting the soundstage. It's at times trippy, at times tricky, but most times fun.

The midbass and upper bass and unabashedly elevated. They raise the pulse and make you fist pump, being superbly energetic and engaging, and yet magnificently detailed. The bass body is superb, although the notes are well-rounded the note texture is still there to be heard. I'm hearing all my pop and rock and hip-hop albums with this, bcos it's so damn fun. When the bass hits in Hotel California, in Billie Jean, the Macklemore track Can't Hold Us, it's visceral and gut-punching, a tour-de-force of power and showmanship. I can finally enjoy modern tracks without worrying about IEMs being clinical all the time. Flamenco, Gemini, SE5U... They have different qualities but all lack the reach and utter power of the Legend's bass. So is the bass everything I dreamed of it to be? Yes and more.

The bass lays the foundation for the mids to flesh out. They have a 2-3KHz region bump for a nice presence, but that's just the start. The notes are rooted in organicity, they have a somewhat realistic analog sound following the DD characteristic, but at the same time it has layers upon layers of detail waiting to be heard. It's not apparent as the digital detail-extractor IEMs, but once your attention shifts from the bass, all the details are there.

Male vocals carry superb authority and heft, pianos sound weighted and guitar riffs have a delightful crunch. Lower to middle mids are done so well. The upper mids are smooth and controlled, nothing peaky and over-accentuated, with a good dose of realism and some excitement. Female vocals are euphonic and trumpets avoid any harshness. Note weight is impressive, makes every note stand up and be counted. Attack and decay is not hurried and the organic signature makes up most of the meat of the music. There is a real sense of being there with the musicians as they perform around you. Class.

Treble is neutrally tuned, again no harsh peaks or sudden dips. Notes are lighter and airier and have a nice sheen and shimmer to it. I would have liked more excitement and sparkle but what that might throw the signature off to a V-shape. Nothing harsh, just pure enjoyment. Notes are well-rounded and full of detail. Best part is it plays nice with the mids and bass too. The image formed as a whole is realistic and gives off a live music feel, like attending an outdoor festival, with a friendly and fun atmosphere.

The soundstage complements the signature as a whole. With such a big bold bodied bass, it needs a big playground to show off in. And the stage width is really wide, as wide as my W900. Where it surpasses it is in stage depth. It's generously deep. Layers are better defined and organised despite the ample bass weight, you hear a lot of things going on around you. The Legend does not have the airiest stage or the most obvious dynamics. But the natural stage dimensions put you at the heart of the music, with its ever-present bass as the pulse. It's a lot of fun, and also a lot to take in.

The only con I can think of is, you can't ignore the bass. While there is no bass bleed I can hear, the bass air permeates throughout the signature, even in passages where you don't think there's a lot of bass. It's part of Legend's DNA, for better or worse.

TLDR BASSSSSS. Glorious magnanimous bass.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #12,173 of 40,594
@ezekiel77 Thanks for those detailed and insightful impressions / mini review. My concerns are lifted as for the upper mids and treble :)

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #12,177 of 40,594
@ezekiel77: thanks for the impressions! Since you have them both, what are your thoughts on how legend x compares to w900? Many thanks :)
I'll be preparing a full review soon. A comparison with W900 will certainly be covered.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #12,178 of 40,594
I tried it in Euphoria store after this event. It has nice treble feeling :)

Nothing special as both are universal, as for sound I’m loving the LX BASSSSSSS

Wait til you hear a broken in pair if you haven’t. So coherent that it’s scary. The bass is plentiful folks. Just listened to some organ music I have and it’s a great representation of what bass can be. Powerful and tuneful. That’s hard to pull off Dean. You are awesome. Thanks man.

This is me. No kidding. Just blessed. Not a pro wrestler - I wrestle collegiate, Greco-Roman and Freestyle (GR and F are Olympic styles).

Bless you, @ctsooner22 . With regards to your MS and mobility, I will be continuing to pray for you.

Miss you too, my friend! God willing, I'll see you in NYC next year!

Happy with the recovery, but I'm still healing. Ecstatic to be out on the mat, these days.

I feel you! What's helped me was to take it easy and not to over-exert myself. Add just a bit more intensity each week or so until you can climb up stairs pretty quickly.

PMing you as I am on my way to the hospital (my mother is there due to breathing problems), more explained in the MoeDawg is the hospital thread, here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moe...nd-needs-our-help.862713/page-5#post-14133122.

Looking forward to seeing those who can make it to this year's CanJam SoCal!
Thanks. Got it. On way to moms funeral and thankful I have the phantoms. It was her time so it’s all good. I went to OU and got to know many wrestlers. I only asked about Pro as I’m friendly with an announcer named Jim Ross. Push on brother. NYC next year lol

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #12,179 of 40,594
Wait til you hear a broken in pair if you haven’t. So coherent that it’s scary. The bass is plentiful folks. Just listened to some organ music I have and it’s a great representation of what bass can be. Powerful and tuneful. That’s hard to pull off Dean. You are awesome. Thanks man.

Thanks. Got it. On way to moms funeral and thankful I have the phantoms. It was her time so it’s all good. I went to OU and got to know many wrestlers. I only asked about Pro as I’m friendly with an announcer named Jim Ross. Push on brother. NYC next year lol
My sincere condolences with regards to your mother, my friend. I understand about your experience. I was actually relieved when my grandmother passed away so she wouldn’t have to suffer anymore.

I’ll keep on pushing, and God willing, I’ll meet you next year in NYC!

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #12,180 of 40,594
My sincere condolences with regards to your mother, my friend. I understand about your experience. I was actually relieved when my grandmother passed away so she wouldn’t have to suffer anymore.

I’ll keep on pushing, and God willing, I’ll meet you next year in NYC!

Thanks and done. Yes the pain isn’t gone.

Listening to Hendrix Watchtower. Smoothest guitar snarl I’ve heard in a while lol. Oh forget how great the Phantom is. This song just f,&#*g ROCKS. In a plane so who cares about critical anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back