Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #7,411 of 40,629
Just got back from the Axpona show in Chicago a few days ago and MAN the turnout was awesome! Zeus-XR/XR ADEL received a ton of praise and seemed to be the show favorite alongside the Spartan IV. Here's a few pics from the show

YES!! I see myself and @korotnam

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #7,413 of 40,629
Yesterday I called my local Specsavers to get a quote for silicon ear impressions, I spoke to a girl who says they dont do ear impressions for custom earphones but they do them for hearing aids lol! So i explained its same procedure and after some back and forth questions she told me the audiologist would call me back
tomorrow when he's not busy.

Today I got a call back and they qouted me £168 for a pair!! ($216 for my fellow Americans) I told them its a lot more than I expected and im not happy about paying that much.

My problem is now I expected them to be around £60-70 from what i have read on here, my last concern, when the ear moulds are done, how long do they stay "good/usable" for?

Thanks fellas.

That is way to much, $35-$70 is more accurate. These people are not even familiar with doing them for CIEMs. Go to someone who has done them for CIEMs, speak to the manufacturer and see if they can recommend someone in the area around you. See if the manufacturer wants you to use a biteblock-with empire it's a 1-2" biteblock, I use a 1.5". Make sure they use high viscosity material and get beyond the second bend in the canal, which will be a bit painful as they've got to push that tiny cotton stopper with the string on it all the way in the back up against your ear drum. Make sure they capture the entire outside of your ear, especially the folds and crevices in the outside ear. Look at the impression and compare to pics of correct impressions from the EE site. If it isn't right request a redo.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #7,414 of 40,629
Just got back from the Axpona show in Chicago a few days ago and MAN the turnout was awesome! Zeus-XR/XR ADEL received a ton of praise and seemed to be the show favorite alongside the Spartan IV. Here's a few pics from the show

Hi to Steve! Happy to see things are looking up Jack, after the airline lost your gear!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #7,415 of 40,629
Finally managed to figure out how to navigate this newly redone layout.... sort of. This will take some getting used to for sure.

Anyway, it's been mentioned already, but in case you haven't seen it - check out my Zeus XR ADEL review at InnerFidelity. Amazing CIEM!

edit - in case it isn't obvious on your monitor (it isn't on mine....), you can click the InnerFidelity word above.

Great review. Very detailed, I liked the comparison between ADEL and on ADEL and the XIV vs R parts.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #7,417 of 40,629
I really like my AKG612, its extends very well at both ends, airy smooth treble and deep controlled bass. its pretty flat signature overall and quite fast for a dynamic.

would the supra 2 adel surpass or at least match its technicalitys?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #7,418 of 40,629
ill keep looking, theres barely anything around where i live.

The next best thing you can do is to print out the instructions for the impression process from EE website or some other site and go over them with the audiologist beforehand. Make sure they know what you want, everything. I've found there are two type of people in the world when it detailed work; people who say "yea I got it" and then proceed to do a crap job and people who are genuinely interested in doing it right for you. You should be able to tell pretty quick from the audiologists' demeanor when you show him your instructions and explain what you want. Remember not to move, even a hair while they are drying and examine them closely, comparing them to the printouts you brought of what a correct impression should look like. Don't be afraid to ask for a redo, you are paying for it afterall. I had to teach my audiologist everytime. The first 2 times I had guys who hurried me through the instructions and were like "yea I got it" kinda brushing my concerns to the side. Had many similar experiences with barbers who screwed up my hair. I told one guy a few months ago, I don't want anything off the top. Midway through he grabs the top of my head and starts cutting inches off, no joke. The last 2 times I had guys who were open to learning and nice and genuinely wanted to do it right, they read over the instructions and were even asking me questions. The last time the guy looked at them and said they didn't match the pic and he said he would redo them both. They all have the capability of doing it right but only some know how to listen.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #7,419 of 40,629
The next best thing you can do is to print out the instructions for the impression process from EE website or some other site and go over them with the audiologist beforehand. Make sure they know what you want, everything. I've found there are two type of people in the world when it detailed work; people who say "yea I got it" and then proceed to do a crap job and people who are genuinely interested in doing it right for you. You should be able to tell pretty quick from the audiologists' demeanor when you show him your instructions and explain what you want. Remember not to move, even a hair while they are drying and examine them closely, comparing them to the printouts you brought of what a correct impression should look like. Don't be afraid to ask for a redo, you are paying for it afterall. I had to teach my audiologist everytime. The first 2 times I had guys who hurried me through the instructions and were like "yea I got it" kinda brushing my concerns to the side. Had many similar experiences with barbers who screwed up my hair. I told one guy a few months ago, I don't want anything off the top. Midway through he grabs the top of my head and starts cutting inches off, no joke. The last 2 times I had guys who were open to learning and nice and genuinely wanted to do it right, they read over the instructions and were even asking me questions. The last time the guy looked at them and said they didn't match the pic and he said he would redo them both. They all have the capability of doing it right but only some know how to listen.

Thanks for the tips, i actually have the EE requirements printed out already.
Lol i wont be leaving anywhere until i think theyve done a good enough job.

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #7,420 of 40,629
I'll just add that in my experience, it is totally worth driving a decent amount if that means finding an audiologist with CIEM experience. Make a trip of it. Take a friend or spouse/etc and find a great eating spot, or shopping, whatever.

I'd rather drive an hour or even two, get proper impressions, and a great CIEM experience as a result... than use a local inexperienced person for impressions, then have to start all over when the CIEM doesn't fit properly.

Just food for thought.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #7,423 of 40,629
Agreed. New UI seems way too cramped. The whole site looks like an advertisement :triportsad:

Anyhow, I haven't heard much about the Hermes. Are there any direct comparisons between the Athena and the Hermes?
For me the Athena is like Hermes plus, in the sense that its more articulate, detailed and all around more balanced. Hermes is just a touch too bassy for my own taste, but may swoon others.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #7,424 of 40,629
For me the Athena is like Hermes plus, in the sense that its more articulate, detailed and all around more balanced. Hermes is just a touch too bassy for my own taste, but may swoon others.

I actually owned the Athena ADEL (and adored it!) but I felt it didn't have enough warmth for my tastes. Currently deciding between the U12 and the Hermes. Im just curious if the Hermes lacks in the detail and mids department.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #7,425 of 40,629
Finally managed to figure out how to navigate this newly redone layout.... sort of. This will take some getting used to for sure.

Anyway, it's been mentioned already, but in case you haven't seen it - check out my Zeus XR ADEL review at InnerFidelity. Amazing CIEM!

edit - in case it isn't obvious on your monitor (it isn't on mine....), you can click the InnerFidelity word above.
Something with so many options is real difficult to review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back