Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 17, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #7,261 of 40,678

No disagreements with that argument. Cheers 
biggrin.gif
 (FYI, if you're looking for a bass heavy IEM, try the Westone W50) 

Greetings

With all honesty, I think what they should have done is add a bass dial on the Zeus something like what JH Audio are doing, otherwise this Zeus with all honesty I see it only fitting people who like classical music or those who dislike bass. 

I know my impressions will upset many here, so maybe its my Swedish ways of expressing things non diplomatically. 

I honestly can not recommend this iem at all to anyone who wants to hear an iem with a good low end.

Cheers

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #7,262 of 40,678
Yeah I've had mixed feelings about it, some songs the bass actually comes through nicely, but I listened to Waves by Kanye and it just didn't sound right, and I do all my comparisons against my very flat measuring speaker system.

For anyone else here, is the Zeus-R bass much lighter than the Zeus-XIV? or is it the slightest of increases in the XIV and in that case I can go ahead and skip on trying the Zeus XIV as well.

I doubt if even the XIV would quench your bass needs. Unless you are used to neutral bass of a BA IEM, it can seem soft/inadequate.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #7,263 of 40,678
I doubt if even the XIV would quench your bass needs. Unless you are used to neutral bass of a BA IEM, it can seem soft/inadequate.

Yeah i've struggled to find the right fit, the 1964 V8 and K10s were too dark for my tastes. And I love the mids/treble/details of the Zeus-R but find the bass is too light now. My Aether I found switch down extension wasn't all the way there and switch up too much mid bass and loss of detail.

I always end up just listening to my speakers a lot and then get used to the sound just not being what I like on the go lol.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #7,264 of 40,678

Yeah I've had mixed feelings about it, some songs the bass actually comes through nicely, but I listened to Waves by Kanye and it just didn't sound right, and I do all my comparisons against my very flat measuring speaker system.

For anyone else here, is the Zeus-R bass much lighter than the Zeus-XIV? or is it the slightest of increases in the XIV and in that case I can go ahead and skip on trying the Zeus XIV as well.

What I wrote above, was the impressions using a Zeus XIV, you can choose to not consider my impressions and get yourself the XIV. 

I honestly think the Zeus in general is for people who have a certain taste in flat neutral signatures with no bass impact what so ever

Cheers

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #7,265 of 40,678

Yeah i've struggled to find the right fit, the 1964 V8 and K10s were too dark for my tastes. And I love the mids/treble/details of the Zeus-R but find the bass is too light now. My Aether I found switch down extension wasn't all the way there and switch up too much mid bass and loss of detail.

I always end up just listening to my speakers a lot and then get used to the sound just not being what I like on the go lol.

To be honest my Sony Xba Z5 sound miles ahead than the XIV, it has amazing bass, huge sound stage and just is an iem that you always want to keep listening to music more and more, and its so cheap compared to Zeus

cheers

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #7,266 of 40,678

You may want to look into the AAW W900. From what I understand, the bass on the W900 is more authoritative than Zeus's bass and possesses some of the characteristics of DD's bass, while having very good treble extension (unless what you are actually referring to is sparkly treble, which is different from treble extension).

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #7,267 of 40,678

You may want to look into the AAW W900. From what I understand, the bass on the W900 is more authoritative than Zeus's bass and possesses some of the characteristics of DD's bass, while having very good treble extension (unless what you are actually referring to is sparkly treble, which is different from treble extension).

Yeah I like extended and a bit sparkly. Like the K10 is extended but definitely too laid back for my tastes. I actually quite enjoy the Zeus's treble. I'm hoping to get to demo the AAW W900 from the demo tour but I didn't make it on I think so hoping when the other guy in cali gets it he'll let me take a listen haha

Is the W900 a bit sparkly or more laid back? The Aether also had a great treble extension and sparkle but the details weren't there as much as the Zeus

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #7,268 of 40,678

Yeah I like extended and a bit sparkly. Like the K10 is extended but definitely too laid back for my tastes. I actually quite enjoy the Zeus's treble. I'm hoping to get to demo the AAW W900 from the demo tour but I didn't make it on I think so hoping when the other guy in cali gets it he'll let me take a listen haha

Is the W900 a bit sparkly or more laid back? The Aether also had a great treble extension and sparkle but the details weren't there as much as the Zeus

Cool, good luck! Hope you get a chance to try the W900. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #7,270 of 40,678
  Greetings

With all honesty, I think what they should have done is add a bass dial on the Zeus something like what JH Audio are doing, otherwise this Zeus with all honesty I see it only fitting people who like classical music or those who dislike bass. 

I know my impressions will upset many here, so maybe its my Swedish ways of expressing things non diplomatically. 

I honestly can not recommend this iem at all to anyone who wants to hear an iem with a good low end.

Cheers

JH Bass dial is patented. So we won't see them in any other brand.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #7,271 of 40,678
  Do they have a universal version, as buying a custom iem blindly is a risk that some might find difficult to go for

Cheers

They have a universal model but I do believe it can only be ordered via email / phone (i'm not sure if its offered on the web store). 

You can find any info on the W900 here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/827413/advanced-acousticwerkes-w900-hybrid-flagship-thread

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #7,272 of 40,678

What I wrote above, was the impressions using a Zeus XIV, you can choose to not consider my impressions and get yourself the XIV. 

I honestly think the Zeus in general is for people who have a certain taste in flat neutral signatures with no bass impact what so ever

Cheers

Like @EagleWings suggested, I think the AAW W900 would satiate your bass appetite more than the Zeus. It's definitely not as light and dry as the Zeus, and I found its midrange very emotive and engaging. The W900's bass is also not overpowering, despite its amazing impact and gorgeous texture. On the other hand, I'd also recommend IEMs like the Jomo Flamenco and the Dita Dream. Both have fuller signatures than the Zeus, but hold their own against it on a technical level. I'd say, the Dita Dream is drier and more neutral than the Jomo Flamenco (which is warmer and richer), but the dynamic driver in the Dream provides a more guttural and rumbly low end than that of the Flamenco. The Dream is also crisper and airier in the treble, which causes it to be more unforgiving than the Flamenco, but is not as lean as the Zeus.

Remember guys, although there's a case to be made about bad technical performance, I'd argue there's no such thing as a "bad signature"; only different ones, and ones someone is bound to dislike. As I've said hundreds of times throughout my time in audio, "Different strokes for different folks."

Edit: I forgot to mention that, based on a couple of my basshead friends' impressions, I think you'll really love Proto-H :wink:

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #7,273 of 40,678

In all honesty, the Zeus R destroys the SE846 in all contests apart from bass quantity and rumble. Detail retrieval, clarity, spatiality, imaging, tonal accuracy, speed... you name it, the Zeus-R will have it over the SE846 *in spades*. I'm not saying the SE846 is a bad monitor at all, but considering its age and the price difference between it and the Zeus-R, it's left in the dust when all is said and done. To be fair, it is a different signature, but even comparing the SE846 to the Zeus-XIV (the richer and more musical Zeus), everything said still applies.

I haven't had enough time with the Cerberus to speak confidently about it, but what from what I recall, the Cerberus is a rich and balanced IEM with a slight emphasis on bass. It's warm and almost resembles a junior Athena; thick, mid/mid-bass forward, and textured and rumbly in the bottom end, though with sparkle and clarity as well. Personally, I'd say if you like the SE846 signature, you might wanna get the non-ADEL version to preserve that bass bite. Though, at the end of the day, whether ADEL or non-ADEL, the perfect fit, customisability, and overall sound quality are all strong cases for the Cerberus-III over the SE846.

Thanks Deezel177 for your detailed feedback, will get my ear impression done and order the Cerberus in the next couple of days.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #7,274 of 40,678
Like @EagleWings
 suggested, I think the AAW W900 would satiate your bass appetite more than the Zeus. It's definitely not as light and dry as the Zeus, and I found its midrange very emotive and engaging. The W900's bass is also not overpowering, despite its amazing impact and gorgeous texture. On the other hand, I'd also recommend IEMs like the Jomo Flamenco and the Dita Dream. Both have fuller signatures than the Zeus, but hold their own against it on a technical level. I'd say, the Dita Dream is drier and more neutral than the Jomo Flamenco (which is warmer and richer), but the dynamic driver in the Dream provides a more guttural and rumbly low end than that of the Flamenco. The Dream is also crisper and airier in the treble, which causes it to be more unforgiving than the Flamenco, but is not as lean as the Zeus.

Remember guys, although there's a case to be made about bad technical performance, I'd argue there's no such thing as a "bad signature"; only different ones, and ones someone is bound to dislike. As I've said hundreds of times throughout my time in audio, "Different strokes for different folks."

Edit: I forgot to mention that, based on a couple of my basshead friends' impressions, I think you'll really love Proto-H :wink:

Super curious about the prototypes now for the multi month waiting game lol

Also of note I love the bass on Rhapsodio galaxy's but not the mids/treble so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back