Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #7,246 of 40,675
Congrats on your purchase. But before you sell it off (I saw your listing, good price), I sincerely hope you can give them more time.

I understand where you are coming from, as I have been there too. Similar to you, I came from IEMs with significantly more bass quantity - Westone UM3X, SE846, K10. They are all great, great IEMs and I really dig their sounds, especially their bass. And I listened to a wide variety of music, from western EDM to the oriental K-Pop, from Linkin Park and Muse's hysterical rock jams to the buttery smooth Chinese audiophile recordings. It was a leap of faith (or rather, an example of poor decision making) when I bought a second hand Zeus R universal. I didn't like the sound signature due to the lack of bass presence. As soon as I confirmed that the lack of bass is not due to eartip seal, I listed it on Headfi for sale.

However, as days went by, I found that where the bass quantity of Zeus was lacking, its bass details made up for it. It was something phenomenal for an ex "bass-quantity-head" like me. Hearing the nuances in the bass was a whole new level of enjoyment to me. It was not as significant an event as Columbus' discovery of the new world, but it was surely equally exciting to me. Maybe my taste changed, or call me fickle-minded, but I don't care, cuz whatever I was hearing, I loved it.

In the end, I sold the Zeus R universals anyway.

Because I ordered a custom pair.

Now 2 weeks into using the Zeus R as my daily driver (after extensive burning-in), I think that if Zeus' bass quantity was to be as high as that of, say, K10, it wouldn't fit so well into the overall transparent sound signature. Linkin Park's bass drum still blows with authority and slam. David Guetta's mixes still sound as lit as ever. Zeus R (non-adel) doesn't give me the closed-in, ultra-intense effect when I listen to EDM on Westone UM3X, but it definitely doesn't sound lean or open either. As I am writing this, I am listening to Secrets by Tiësto & KSHMR feat. Vassy directly from MacBook Pro. The synth leads and electronic snares sound sick AF and the house beats simply attacks my brain from all directions.

The Zeus R sound signature will slowly grow onto you. Trust me, or at least trust the effect of brain burn-in.

On a side-note, if you believe in cable rolling, try out the PlusSound Gold-plated-copper 4 braid. It increases the bass quantity by a significant margin. (Not my personal favourite though, as it smoothes out the sparkles of Zeus R.) Or perhaps the silver Agni cable made by Hans Sound (a Taiwanese company). It is a very warm silver cable that increases the midbass but slightly reduces instrument separation.

So the Bass has already grow on me actually, how I've been feeling 50% of the songs I listen to it's perfect and 50% of the them I crave more. I definitely wouldn't want it up to K10 bass, I used to have the K10 and didn't like it, too dark for my tastes. I want to try the Zeus-XIV and see, but regardless I'd sell the Zeus-R to go custom haha. It's possibly I try the XIV and want the R back and I'll pick them up custom :)

I'm also in no rush and may wait for these new prototypes to come out in a few months that I've been hearing about.

As an idea of the sound sig I really like my Hifiman HE-560 and HEX are two of my favorite headphones I've heard, although I've sold all my headphones and exclusively use either speakers or IEMs now.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #7,248 of 40,675
  Thanks for posting these reviews for me. Good reviews with some details. I do understand what you're saying I need listen both by my own ears. The thing is currently I stay in Vegas now and there is no dealers or anyone I know who have those two can let me try. But the Eric of Effect Audio who is trying to help me hook up with Jack of EE to send me a demo of Athena. I appreciate if he can make that happen. On the other hand, Lime Eras is in Poland then there is tiny chance to have a demo. Then now I am trying to read as much as more online reviews and wait to see if I can get a demo from Jack. After all of these, I'll make the decision and get one as fast as I can.

Hey @Hangyu Xu, I was at the local dealer earlier and compared the Athena and the Aether. To be very honest with you, my impressions are very similar to @Deezel177's impressions on them and if I were to describe and compare the sound, it would only be reiterating @Deezel177's impressions.

Since Eric is helping you to get a demo of the Athena and you might have a chance on the Aether tour, it would be better as you would be able to hear them and compare them yourself.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #7,249 of 40,675

I've the DP-X1, AK-JR and AK-100ii and pair them with 64Audio U4SE, Campfire Audio Jupiter & EE Supra II ADEL. All universal IEMs so far. How about yours?

The balanced on DP-X1 with Campfire Audio Jupiter is awesome. Just pure black background and Jupiter brings out the details with good soundstage to make it an absorbing experience.

The EE Supra II ADEL is no such either. Even with 2 drivers it is very good, almost neutral and enjoyable. Makes me wonder how the Spartan or Athena would do given the way Supra II ADEL is performing. May be time to try a CIEM with Athena.

My daily IEMs are all custom. I just can't resist the perfect fit, isolation, and the opportunity to go absolutely ham on the cosmetic customisations! The Spartan, I'd say, is somewhat of an upgrade to the Supra II. I remember it having a smoother treble than the Supra II, and a more neutral signature. The Athena is a departure from the Supra/Spartan signature, with a more musical, rich, thick, and euphonic sound. If you're thinking about a companion IEM to your Supra with more bass, a more engaging and detailed midrange, a smooth, silky treble, and lots of space in the soundstage, you might want to give the Athena a try!

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #7,250 of 40,675
Hi all, 

My Sennheiser IE8 has finally broken on me after four years of use and I am in the market for a new set of headphones.

I've set my budget at around the $750 mark and after doing some research have narrowed it down to the Empire Ears Cerberus III with Adel. However I recently found out that in Hong Kong (where I am currently based) I can get the Shure SE856 for around the same price. Therefore I wanted to know whether any of you guys can give me an idea of how these two compare? Note that if I was to get the SE846 I would eventually fork out for custom sleeves.

I've searched around the forums and have found that the SE846 tends to get compared to the Zeus R, does this mean that the SE846 would sit above the Cerberus in terms of sounds quality or are these comparisons made purely because these headphone are the TOTL offering for each company?

Many thanks.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #7,251 of 40,675
  Hi all, 

My Sennheiser IE8 has finally broken on me after four years of use and I am in the market for a new set of headphones.

I've set my budget at around the $750 mark and after doing some research have narrowed it down to the Empire Ears Cerberus III with Adel. However I recently found out that in Hong Kong (where I am currently based) I can get the Shure SE856 for around the same price. Therefore I wanted to know whether any of you guys can give me an idea of how these two compare? Note that if I was to get the SE846 I would eventually fork out for custom sleeves.

I've searched around the forums and have found that the SE846 tends to get compared to the Zeus R, does this mean that the SE846 would sit above the Cerberus in terms of sounds quality or are these comparisons made purely because these headphone are the TOTL offering for each company?

Many thanks.

In all honesty, the Zeus R destroys the SE846 in all contests apart from bass quantity and rumble. Detail retrieval, clarity, spatiality, imaging, tonal accuracy, speed... you name it, the Zeus-R will have it over the SE846 *in spades*. I'm not saying the SE846 is a bad monitor at all, but considering its age and the price difference between it and the Zeus-R, it's left in the dust when all is said and done. To be fair, it is a different signature, but even comparing the SE846 to the Zeus-XIV (the richer and more musical Zeus), everything said still applies.

I haven't had enough time with the Cerberus to speak confidently about it, but what from what I recall, the Cerberus is a rich and balanced IEM with a slight emphasis on bass. It's warm and almost resembles a junior Athena; thick, mid/mid-bass forward, and textured and rumbly in the bottom end, though with sparkle and clarity as well. Personally, I'd say if you like the SE846 signature, you might wanna get the non-ADEL version to preserve that bass bite. Though, at the end of the day, whether ADEL or non-ADEL, the perfect fit, customisability, and overall sound quality are all strong cases for the Cerberus-III over the SE846.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #7,252 of 40,675
Hi all, 

Many thanks.

Look into ibasso it03. You might save yourself a while bunch of money.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #7,255 of 40,675
Any metalheads out there serious about hearing all that is recorded on dense, extreme metal tracks should serious consider Zeus. Zeus'ability to resolve density, complexity and to lay plain an absolutely insane level of clarity and transparency really come to fruition with heavy, very distorted and layered metal. Layer upon layer in complex black and death especially are so easy to see "inside" of with Zeus. What was previous a wall of sound on some tracks that would take many, many repeat listens to unfold is nearly crystal clear on first listen with Zeus. I cannot recommend Zeus any more highly for fellow metal freaks.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #7,256 of 40,675

No ADEL. W/ Universal I find that the pressure doesn't seem to build up as bad as the customs (I use comply tips) so didn't feel need for ADEL. and the bass is already light enough w/o ADEL for my tastes (slight V or L sig) so I'm thinking I wouldn't like that version. I'm hoping one of these new EE prototypes is like a Zeus with more bass haha

Greetings

So I am not the only one to find the Zeus sounding bass less, and that is with the non adel version. I was watching this thread for a long time, but only yesterday was I able to demo the Zeus XIV non adel. I thought there must be something wrong, as to me it sounded bass less and to be honest in a blind test, I would think I am listening to a cheap iem from China that costs not more than 20 USD. No impact at all, life less and emotion less. I was so surprised as when I was watching this thread, I was literally dreaming to hear a Zeus.

I am so surprised as comparing what I heard in real life with what gets posted here. Honestly this is the worst signature I ever heard from an iem that is above 300 USD. I thank god I had the chance to audition it, as I was always thinking to buy it without listening from the hailed reviews I read here. I am sorry for sharing this feedback, but honestly I think that the tuning is done by someone who just hates bass. Also I did not find its sound stage wide as people describe it all, and sounds kind of artificial in the mids. I am truly sorry but this tuning is bad.

Cheers

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #7,257 of 40,675
  Greetings

So I am not the only one to find the Zeus sounding bass less, and that is with the non adel version. I was watching this thread for a long time, but only yesterday was I able to demo the Zeus XIV non adel. I thought there must be something wrong, as to me it sounded bass less and to be honest in a blind test, I would think I am listening to a cheap iem from China that costs not more than 20 USD. No impact at all, life less and emotion less. I was so surprised as when I was watching this thread, I was literally dreaming to hear a Zeus.

I am so surprised as comparing what I heard in real life with what gets posted here. Honestly this is the worst signature I ever heard from an iem that is above 300 USD. I thank god I had the chance to audition it, as I was always thinking to buy it without listening from the hailed reviews I read here. I am sorry for sharing this feedback, but honestly I think that the tuning is done by someone who just hates bass. Also I did not find its sound stage wide as people describe it all, and sounds kind of artificial in the mids. I am truly sorry but this tuning is bad.

Cheers

While everyone's opinion is valid, i'm definitely not a fan of yours (no hard feelings
beerchug.gif
). However, I do believe its unfair to label an IEMs tuning "the worst signature I ever heard from an IEM that is above 300 USD" just because it doesn't suit your preference. And doesn't comparing the Zeus to a cheap Chinese IEM seem kind of a stretch? If you're looking for an IEM that revolves solely around bass, evidently the Zeus could not be further from that option. 

On the plus side, this is a prime example of the why auditioning an IEM is vital. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #7,258 of 40,675

While everyone's opinion is valid, i'm definitely not a fan of yours (no hard feelings
beerchug.gif
). However, I do believe its unfair to label an IEMs tuning "the worst signature I ever heard from an IEM that is above 300 USD" just because it doesn't suit your preference. And doesn't comparing the Zeus to a cheap Chinese IEM seem kind of a stretch? If you're looking for an IEM that revolves solely around bass, evidently the Zeus could not be further from that option. 

On the plus side, this is a prime example of the why auditioning an IEM is vital. 

Greetings

Say what you like, I also saw the disappointment on my friend's face and he as well said that the tuning is bad and lifeless and that is why he asked me to try it. He bought it used but still paid a lot of money for it. He asked me to try it, and I told him frankly its lifeless and has no bass what so ever. If you think the tuning is great, then good for you and everyone else who likes it. But to me and my friend, we are shocked by the description of what gets posted here compared to real life hands on. I feel sorry for my friend that he now has to look his most expensive iem and always remember that he spent so much for something he will not use

Cheers

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #7,259 of 40,675
  Greetings

Say what you like, I also saw the disappointment on my friend's face and he as well said that the tuning is bad and lifeless and that is why he asked me to try it. He bought it used but still paid a lot of money for it. He asked me to try it, and I told him frankly its lifeless and has no bass what so ever. If you think the tuning is great, then good for you and everyone else who likes it. But to me and my friend, we are shocked by the description of what gets posted here compared to real life hands on. I feel sorry for my friend that he now has to look his most expensive iem and always remember that he spent so much for something he will not use

Cheers

No disagreements with that argument. Cheers 
biggrin.gif
 (FYI, if you're looking for a bass heavy IEM, try the Westone W50) 

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #7,260 of 40,675
  Greetings

Cheers

Yeah I've had mixed feelings about it, some songs the bass actually comes through nicely, but I listened to Waves by Kanye and it just didn't sound right, and I do all my comparisons against my very flat measuring speaker system.

For anyone else here, is the Zeus-R bass much lighter than the Zeus-XIV? or is it the slightest of increases in the XIV and in that case I can go ahead and skip on trying the Zeus XIV as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back