Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #7,232 of 40,587
  Cool. Good to know I can send my cable back to Effect Audio for revising.  I understand hiss is unavoidable for most IEMS to detect but my old SE846 really does a great job no matter connect to mojo  or WM1A. The hiss can be noticed but it is extremely weak. I just returned my Andromeda today and I'm seeking same around $1K IEMS. As so far, only EE Athena and Lime ears Aether in my eyes. EE Athena has universal version but Aether only has CIEM version. Actually I went to Canjam L.A last Sunday but it's regretful EE can't make it because flight cancel. It's like EE and LE both attended Singapore Canjam but absent together  at L.A
confused_face.gif
 . Since Athena and Aether are  8 drivers and 5 drivers, It's hard to find head to head comparison. I can only try to dig out more review and information online now. 

there are 2 aether reviews here , but unless you hear for yourself you will only go by guess

http://theheadphonelist.com/lime-ears-aether/

http://www.headfonia.com/review-lime-ears-aether-the-special-one/

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,233 of 40,587

Cool. Good to know I can send my cable back to Effect Audio for revising.  I understand hiss is unavoidable for most IEMS to detect but my old SE846 really does a great job no matter connect to mojo  or WM1A. The hiss can be noticed but it is extremely weak. I just returned my Andromeda today and I'm seeking same around $1K IEMS. As so far, only EE Athena and Lime ears Aether in my eyes. EE Athena has universal version but Aether only has CIEM version. Actually I went to Canjam L.A last Sunday but it's regretful EE can't make it because flight cancel. It's like EE and LE both attended Singapore Canjam but absent together  at L.A
confused_face.gif
 . Since Athena and Aether are  8 drivers and 5 drivers, It's hard to find head to head comparison. I can only try to dig out more review and information online now. 

there are 2 aether reviews here , but unless you hear for yourself you will only go by guess

http://theheadphonelist.com/lime-ears-aether/

http://www.headfonia.com/review-lime-ears-aether-the-special-one/

Thanks for posting these reviews for me. Good reviews with some details. I do understand what you're saying I need listen both by my own ears. The thing is currently I stay in Vegas now and there is no dealers or anyone I know who have those two can let me try. But the Eric of Effect Audio who is trying to help me hook up with Jack of EE to send me a demo of Athena. I appreciate if he can make that happen. On the other hand, Lime Eras is in Poland then there is tiny chance to have a demo. Then now I am trying to read as much as more online reviews and wait to see if I can get a demo from Jack. After all of these, I'll make the decision and get one as fast as I can.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #7,235 of 40,587
Thanks for posting these reviews for me. Good reviews with some details. I do understand what you're saying I need listen both by my own ears. The thing is currently I stay in Vegas now and there is no dealers or anyone I know who have those two can let me try. But the Eric of Effect Audio who is trying to help me hook up with Jack of EE to send me a demo of Athena. I appreciate if he can make that happen. On the other hand, Lime Eras is in Poland then there is tiny chance to have a demo. Then now I am trying to read as much as more online reviews and wait to see if I can get a demo from Jack. After all of these, I'll make the decision and get one as fast as I can.
Barra's made an US review tour of the LE Aether here on headfi. He now created another one for the Tzar18 and Tia Forte. I'd pm him if I were you, might still get a chance to join on the Aether tour.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #7,236 of 40,587
Currently rocking...

AK70 or DP-X1 -> Effect Audio Thor Silver II or Effect Audio Ares II+ or Plussound Exo Tri-Metal -> EE Athena-ADEL or Lime Ears Aether or CustomArt Harmony 8.2

...as my daily portable rig, with an EE Zeus-XR very soon to arrive
wink.gif

I've the DP-X1, AK-JR and AK-100ii and pair them with 64Audio U4SE, Campfire Audio Jupiter & EE Supra II ADEL. All universal IEMs so far. How about yours?

The balanced on DP-X1 with Campfire Audio Jupiter is awesome. Just pure black background and Jupiter brings out the details with good soundstage to make it an absorbing experience.

The EE Supra II ADEL is no such either. Even with 2 drivers it is very good, almost neutral and enjoyable. Makes me wonder how the Spartan or Athena would do given the way Supra II ADEL is performing. May be time to try a CIEM with Athena.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #7,237 of 40,587

Barra's made an US review tour of the LE Aether here on headfi. He now created another one for the Tzar18 and Tia Forte. I'd pm him if I were you, might still get a chance to join on the Aether tour.

Thanks again for letting me know the tour. Just found that post and left message to Barra.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #7,238 of 40,587
Just got the Zeus-R universal 
ksc75smile.gif

Quite an amazing IEM, best mids/treble i've heard in an IEM. I only wish there was more bass presence and these would be perfect for me. Bass quality is great though

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #7,239 of 40,587
  Just got the Zeus-R universal 
ksc75smile.gif

Quite an amazing IEM, best mids/treble i've heard in an IEM. I only wish there was more bass presence and these would be perfect for me. Bass quality is great though

Congrats on the purchase.
With or without ADEL by the way?

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #7,241 of 40,587

Congrats on the purchase.
With or without ADEL by the way?

No ADEL. W/ Universal I find that the pressure doesn't seem to build up as bad as the customs (I use comply tips) so didn't feel need for ADEL. and the bass is already light enough w/o ADEL for my tastes (slight V or L sig) so I'm thinking I wouldn't like that version. I'm hoping one of these new EE prototypes is like a Zeus with more bass haha

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #7,242 of 40,587
Whst does this Ares II do as far as sound to XR? (non adel). And how much for the cable?

Retails $149.90 from the Effect Audio website. I read it increases note richness, but can't really comment as I haven't heard it. Good price tho.

No ADEL. W/ Universal I find that the pressure doesn't seem to build up as bad as the customs (I use comply tips) so didn't feel need for ADEL. and the bass is already light enough w/o ADEL for my tastes (slight V or L sig) so I'm thinking I wouldn't like that version. I'm hoping one of these new EE prototypes is like a Zeus with more bass haha

I think that's what we're all anticipating haha.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #7,244 of 40,587

Congrats on your purchase. But before you sell it off (I saw your listing, good price), I sincerely hope you can give them more time.

I understand where you are coming from, as I have been there too. Similar to you, I came from IEMs with significantly more bass quantity - Westone UM3X, SE846, K10. They are all great, great IEMs and I really dig their sounds, especially their bass. And I listened to a wide variety of music, from western EDM to the oriental K-Pop, from Linkin Park and Muse's hysterical rock jams to the buttery smooth Chinese audiophile recordings. It was a leap of faith (or rather, an example of poor decision making) when I bought a second hand Zeus R universal. I didn't like the sound signature due to the lack of bass presence. As soon as I confirmed that the lack of bass is not due to eartip seal, I listed it on Headfi for sale.

However, as days went by, I found that where the bass quantity of Zeus was lacking, its bass details made up for it. It was something phenomenal for an ex "bass-quantity-head" like me. Hearing the nuances in the bass was a whole new level of enjoyment to me. It was not as significant an event as Columbus' discovery of the new world, but it was surely equally exciting to me. Maybe my taste changed, or call me fickle-minded, but I don't care, cuz whatever I was hearing, I loved it.

In the end, I sold the Zeus R universals anyway.

Because I ordered a custom pair.

Now 2 weeks into using the Zeus R as my daily driver (after extensive burning-in), I think that if Zeus' bass quantity was to be as high as that of, say, K10, it wouldn't fit so well into the overall transparent sound signature. Linkin Park's bass drum still blows with authority and slam. David Guetta's mixes still sound as lit as ever. Zeus R (non-adel) doesn't give me the closed-in, ultra-intense effect when I listen to EDM on Westone UM3X, but it definitely doesn't sound lean or open either. As I am writing this, I am listening to Secrets by Tiësto & KSHMR feat. Vassy directly from MacBook Pro. The synth leads and electronic snares sound sick AF and the house beats simply attacks my brain from all directions.

The Zeus R sound signature will slowly grow onto you. Trust me, or at least trust the effect of brain burn-in.

On a side-note, if you believe in cable rolling, try out the PlusSound Gold-plated-copper 4 braid. It increases the bass quantity by a significant margin. (Not my personal favourite though, as it smoothes out the sparkles of Zeus R.) Or perhaps the silver Agni cable made by Hans Sound (a Taiwanese company). It is a very warm silver cable that increases the midbass but slightly reduces instrument separation.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #7,245 of 40,587

Have you considered trying/getting the Zeus-XIV, which is significantly fuller and (mid-)bassier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back