Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 9, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #6,676 of 40,671
Mar 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #6,677 of 40,671
Empire IEMs are generally very easy to drive, which is why the hiss is pretty bad on lower-end players. But nice to see that you are enjoying them!
I'd say go with what your sound signature preferences are, but for absolute bang-for-buck to performance ratio, I would give my vote to the Spartans!

True, but I am using the ak380+ amp which I would not call a lower end player. I can confirm that there is no hiss with the 380 by itself and it sounds great with Zues XRA, very airy with a wide stage, but less depth. With the amp using my 3 upgrade cables there is some hiss but there is awesome note weight and bass authority. The hiss is not noticable when the music is playing and the amp is certainly better than the 380 alone. Strangely (and it's pretty cool), the CPS Whiplash Empire cable does not have hiss with the amp (as opposed to the others) - it is actually a very nice sounding cable.

I just spent a bit more time comparing my cables with the Zeus XRA and the PW Audio 1960's is significantly better sounding than the others (but that was also the case with the my Katana and K10). No more cable rolling for me.

I have found so far that JVC Spiral Dot tips are the best.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #6,678 of 40,671
  True, but I am using the ak380+ amp which I would not call a lower end player. I can confirm that there is no hiss with the 380 by itself and it sounds great with Zues XRA, very airy with a wide stage, but less depth. With the amp using my 3 upgrade cables there is some hiss but there is awesome note weight and bass authority. The hiss is not noticable when the music is playing and the amp is certainly better than the 380 alone. Strangely (and it's pretty cool), the CPS Whiplash Empire cable does not have hiss with the amp (as opposed to the others) - it is actually a very nice sounding cable.

I just spent a bit more time comparing my cables with the Zeus XRA and the PW Audio 1960's is significantly better sounding than the others (but that was also the case with the my Katana and K10). No more cable rolling for me.

I have found so far that JVC Spiral Dot tips are the best.

Nice, glad to hear you hear a difference with the switch, I suspect I will too as I have very revealing sources as well. Mojo + CDM.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #6,679 of 40,671
How would you compare the ak380 + amp with the QP1R alone paired with the Zeus XRA? I like to keep things simple. Is there really a huge jump in SQ? There is hiss with the QP1R with no music playing but not audible even with very quiet music interludes and not an issue for me. Just wondering if the cable and dap upgrade is really more than 5% improvement for most recordings or will simply make me feel that I have the best portable combination for the XRA.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #6,680 of 40,671
To clean out wax/debris from sound tube openings is it safe to rig up flat tipped needles to a car vac? I don't know if a large amount of vacuum could damage the internal mechanics. Perhaps Jack could chime in here.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #6,681 of 40,671
To clean out wax/debris from sound tube openings is it safe to rig up flat tipped needles to a car vac? I don't know if a large amount of vacuum could damage the internal mechanics. Perhaps Jack could chime in here.

As a non-expert take my advice with a grain of salt.  I believe the CIEM/hearing aid vacuums operate at a much lower pull also they use very fine needles which I would guess would not allow the needled to seal in the canal meaning the pull on the drivers will be less while still allowing them to be cleaned.  Again, I am no expert.  Just my common sense observation.  I wouldn't do it.   One of the simple things you can do to care for your incredible Empire Ears IEMs is to put them in the food dehydrator every night on low.  I do this when I go to bed.  I don't use the portable dehumidifier packets because of this and I already had the food dehydrator so no extra money expended. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #6,682 of 40,671
How would you compare the ak380 + amp with the QP1R alone paired with the Zeus XRA? I like to keep things simple. Is there really a huge jump in SQ? There is hiss with the QP1R with no music playing but not audible even with very quiet music interludes and not an issue for me. Just wondering if the cable and dap upgrade is really more than 5% improvement for most recordings or will simply make me feel that I have the best portable combination for the XRA.

Both are top of the line players.  I have heard AK380 + amp and found it was very good, dynamic, warm and powerful.  I have not heard QP1R but trusted reviewers on head-fi seem to agree-it is quite a bit brighter and more analytical than AK380.  I suspect that it will come down to your sound preference given that Zeus is mostly neutral-ish, do you want to add more warmth and bass or make it brighter?  I will be reviewing the Linum Super Bax soon and I will let you know my thoughts on it, this is one of the TOTL cables our right now so that should inform you with regard to % SQ increase/signature change from good cables.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #6,683 of 40,671
Nice, glad to hear you hear a difference with the switch, I suspect I will too as I have very revealing sources as well. Mojo + CDM.

With the ak380 (with or without he 380amp) and Zeus XRA the difference for me with the switch between R and X is very noticeable. From what others had written I was a little worried that the extra $ for the switch might have been a waste but I love it. It really is like having two totl iem's in one.

I have had lots of universals and these could well be the comfiest.

Really enjoying these.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #6,684 of 40,671
With the ak380 (with or without he 380amp) and Zeus XRA the difference for me with the switch between R and X is very noticeable. From what others had written I was a little worried that the extra $ for the switch might have been a waste but I love it. It really is like having two totl iem's in one.

I have had lots of universals and these could well be the comfiest.

Really enjoying these.

I'll be going custom as always, expecting more bottom end from it.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #6,685 of 40,671

For me, the differences between the X and the R configurations are rather prominent. The moment you flip the switch from the X to the R, you'll suddenly feel as though the bass pulled a Houdini. 
wink.gif

Still, the Zeus R is a mighty fine IEM - I'm just a huge basshead, so I need those lows.

For those who aren't so inclined to heavier bass and thicker vocals, the R is definitely the better choice. Of course, you could always go for the XR and be done with it. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,690 of 40,671

For me, the differences between the X and the R configurations are rather prominent. The moment you flip the switch from the X to the R, you'll suddenly feel as though the bass pulled a Houdini. 
wink.gif

Still, the Zeus R is a mighty fine IEM - I'm just a huge basshead, so I need those lows.

For those who aren't so inclined to heavier bass and thicker vocals, the R is definitely the better choice. Of course, you could always go for the XR and be done with it. 
biggrin.gif

I am going XR, XRA that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back