Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 16, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #4,172 of 40,713
  well I went to the post office today first thing in the morning and picked the athena 
biggrin.gif

first impressions , great craftmanship these are very well made they scream quality from miles

will do some listening and post some initial impressions in the next days in the EE thread

i need to get my ears adjusted to the NT6 sound , and see how the cables i have change their sound

i started with the forza hybrid cable since the whiplash seems to beef up the lows a tad more and i want a more lean approach with them as they are not lean/thin sounding

nothing bad to say so far regarding build/fit issues

just put some ABBA , you need some nice vocals to get these babies on a good start 
tongue.gif

great job from jack, and stellar help in the financial department 
beerchug.gif

Congratulation :) I believe, you be happy as I´m. I found Athena very addictive.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #4,173 of 40,713
well I went to the post office today first thing in the morning and picked the athena 
biggrin.gif

first impressions , great craftmanship these are very well made they scream quality from miles

will do some listening and post some initial impressions in the next days in the EE thread

i need to get my ears adjusted to the NT6 sound , and see how the cables i have change their sound

i started with the forza hybrid cable since the whiplash seems to beef up the lows a tad more and i want a more lean approach with them as they are not lean/thin sounding

nothing bad to say so far regarding build/fit issues

just put some ABBA , you need some nice vocals to get these babies on a good start 
tongue.gif

great job from jack, and stellar help in the financial department :beerchug:

Congrats @proedros I'm certain that you'll enjoy your Athena as much as I do with my Hermes

Looking forward to your review especially in comparison to your NT6

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #4,174 of 40,713
proedros

Congratulations on your purchase, bro. The Athena is easily the most mid-centric IEM I've tried next to Zeus-R.

Cheers~

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,175 of 40,713
  My short impression on Zeus-XR ADEL + G1 + Heracles.

Zeus XIV ADEL --> More engaging, more fun, less clarity, front row sound.
Zeus R ADEL --> Less engaging, less fun, more clarity (Best I've heard so far), a bit laid back.

Somehow, I think R sounds very relaxing comparing to XIV. I could listen to R all day and fall asleep.
But, I prefer XIV when I need to stay awake or workout.

This pretty much confirms my belief that the XIV ADEL is what I'd ultimately choose. I'm no clarity-head.. a thoroughly engaging, mid-centric sound is all I really want. While the XR sounds like a good option, I've never once used my Zeus XIV and thought that I'm actually missing out on something. A big credit to Jack and team for crafting the best IEM I've heard so far. 
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #4,176 of 40,713
Has anyone used their EE Adel tech equipped ear art on the move? First time I've used them out and about today eight the MAM open halfway and I initially though the drivers were knocking about inside the shell until I realised it actually made gut be the ADEL unit. There's a sound like a baby's heartbeat on an ultrasound scan(not that I know from experience!) this actually goes away for the most part after a short while so it is most likely some kind of pressure equalising. Maybe @canyonrunner can clarify as I'm only assuming. Also, being open, there is definitely more ambient noise, a bit like having open backed headphones but strangely not intrusive even on the metro. Closest to a open back headphone from an iem I've heard so far!

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,177 of 40,713
Has anyone used their EE Adel tech equipped ear art on the move? First time I've used them out and about today eight the MAM open halfway and I initially though the drivers were knocking about inside the shell until I realised it actually made gut be the ADEL unit. There's a sound like a baby's heartbeat on an ultrasound scan(not that I know from experience!) this actually goes away for the most part after a short while so it is most likely some kind of pressure equalising. Maybe @canyonrunner can clarify as I'm only assuming. Also, being open, there is definitely more ambient noise, a bit like having open backed headphones but strangely not intrusive even on the metro. Closest to a open back headphone from an iem I've heard so far!

Half way open is when the membranes are their most floppy, the basket hasn't begun to tension the membrane yet. So in this setting, walking and half your jaw move in your head with your steps, the pressure fluctuates in your ear canal, pushing and pulling the membranes freely. Creating that floppy sound. This is by design because this is where you net the least amount of bass response, that setting is just irritating for walking.

If you like the sound signature of that setting, just roll the thumbscrews ever so slightly forward to where the basket starts to tension the membranes just enough to prevent the floppy sound. You'll find that with the MAMs, your heart rate and activity level will effect how they interact with your body, because your ear drums impedance changes. 

Personally, I don't really ever listen to the mams in the middle position because of the lack of bass, but when I do and I get that sound, just dial a pinch forward and it goes away. Most of the time my ear drum's impedance is somewhere near 3/4 open.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #4,178 of 40,713
Half way open is when the membranes are their most floppy, the basket hasn't begun to tension the membrane yet. So in this setting, walking and half your jaw move in your head with your steps, the pressure fluctuates in your ear canal, pushing and pulling the membranes freely. Creating that floppy sound. This is by design because this is where you net the least amount of bass response, that setting is just irritating for walking.

If you like the sound signature of that setting, just roll the thumbscrews ever so slightly forward to where the basket starts to tension the membranes just enough to prevent the floppy sound. You'll find that with the MAMs, your heart rate and activity level will effect how they interact with your body, because your ear drums impedance changes. 

Personally, I don't really ever listen to the mams in the middle position because of the lack of bass, but when I do and I get that sound, just dial a pinch forward and it goes away. Most of the time my ear drum's impedance is somewhere near 3/4 open.

It's a relief to know it's not my hearing! The sound actually went away after a while or was very minimal. As you've mentioned before, some bass does come back and it's sufficient for me on the move. Depends on how annoying other people around me are. Might still need to shut the outside world out.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #4,179 of 40,713
This pretty much confirms my belief that the XIV ADEL is what I'd ultimately choose. I'm no clarity-head.. a thoroughly engaging, mid-centric sound is all I really want. While the XR sounds like a good option, I've never once used my Zeus XIV and thought that I'm actually missing out on something. A big credit to Jack and team for crafting the best IEM I've heard so far. :smile:

What do you feel Zeus beats in full size hps?

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,181 of 40,713
I was wondering about the size of the zeus r regarding roxanes iem. Are the zeus r very big?

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,182 of 40,713
I was wondering about the size of the zeus r regarding roxanes iem. Are the zeus r very big?

I have the roxanne and plan on buying the Zeus R so i will let you know some time.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #4,183 of 40,713

Sorry for the poor photo quality, but I have fairly average sized ears, should at least help answer the size question. I had Roxannes for about a year, I'd say these are smaller. Certainly in the profile sake. I felt like the Roxannes stuck out like 5mm further or so, from my ear. They were pretty big...

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #4,184 of 40,713
I would love to hear the difference Adel tech makes on thr Zeus 14/R... I didn't like it's sound on thr 1964 audio line. But I also didn't like 1964 period (adel or not)

Can you compare original Zeus XIV/R (non adel) with adel versions? Have u heard?

Expect everything to sound more realistic natural(especially bass), fatigue to be non-existent and the soundstage to expand in all directions.  To me these are the general properties of most of the ADEL modules.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #4,185 of 40,713
  64 Ears in general have a sort of dark-sound signature which isn't everyone's cup of tea. It certainly isn't for me. Even though I find A12 and A3 to be okay sounding.

True that, 64 is very warm and dark and oddly their flagship prefers high output impedance sources while most audiophile grade sources are low. A real head scratcher that can cause a PITA when selecting sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back