Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 9, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #2,776 of 40,577
The only stumbling block for me not ordering immediately is the iPhone 7 that is coming out in a couple of weeks time. It's rumoured that Apple has removed the headphone jack from iPhone 7. If that is truth (we'll find out by 6pm today uk time), how can we use any current iem with the iPhone 7?

Until I get an answer soon, I wouldn't be buying at the moment as I'll use the iPhone 7 85% of the time as my main dac

I'd skip the i-phone 7. Check out the LG V20. That thing is going to be an absolute beast. The iPhone 7 is 7 levels of stupid for ditching the 3.5mm jack. It is just a craven attempt to get you to buy into their ecosystem.

If you must use the iPhone 7 there are several bluetooth cable options available out there. Westone has an aptX one that is about $150. Astell & Kern and Noble both have Bluetooth receiver dongles. Lear has a Bluetooth cable with balanced amplification for under $100. The iPhone 7 also has a wired adaptor, but it makes it so you can't charge the phone and listen which is a pile of stupid.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #2,777 of 40,577
As someone who has used an iPhone for years and is fully invested into Apple's ecosystem with a MacBook Pro and an iPad the advice to, and this is paraphrasing, "just go Android" doesn't really work. My company uses Apple for the corporate phones. For many Android isn't an option.

Chukwe, there are a few options available. As glassmonkey mentioned you can use a Bluetooth headphone cable or the included wired dongle. You also have the option of using an external DAC/amp like a Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2 or other similar device. There are adapters out there that will allow you to charge and listen at the same time but they're optional accessories and are not included in the box. Also keep in mind that just because the iPhone 7 came out it doesn't mean that the iPhone 6s will stop functioning. It's still a good phone and mine works as well as it did a year ago when I got it. And on top of that it's cheaper to buy now.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #2,778 of 40,577
Also there's a lightning to 3.5mm adapter included. So unless you're charging your phone, you can still use your current earphones. And I'm betting a y adapter pops up soon, to allow you to charge and listen at the same time.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #2,779 of 40,577
It seems that iP7 discussion creeps into a lot of threads :wink: I tried running apple-free household, being die-hard Sammy galaxy user for years, but losing this battle with my kids because iPod/iPhone is what all their friends are using... My prediction is that we're going to see a number of iPhone 7 battery cases with an added headphone jack. That's going to be one hot accessory considering the demand.

And back on topic, Zeus-R rules!!! :D

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,781 of 40,577
Well I have decided to start looking into this brand and would like some suggestions on which to consider. I am not liking for a flat reference iem. I want a fun iem with lots of deep bass and mids but also detailed highs. Highs can be slightly rolled off. I am sensitive to highs, but found my ue-11 pro to not do to well on the highs before i sold them. I felt the bass way overpowered the highs and they were just not detailed enough. Westone 4 sound great. Westone es5 were about spot on. My es60 will be here shortly and sure they will be about right as well but will oost thoughts.
My musical prefrances are varied. Female vocals, male vocals, blues, classical, nu-metal, and electronice, rap and hip hop, and more. I will probably demo a pair or two before purchase so think i need to choose what to focus on.

Make the drive down to Buford to audition as you're not too far away in Asheville. Jack will take care of you and get you set up with a ton of auditions. Buford is a bit outside Atlanta so you won't have to deal with any of the traffic or hassle of actually going into the city.

If you like the Westone 4, you'll probably like the original Zeus XIV. It's a bit more similar to the thickness in the mids that the Westone 4r has with MUCH better bass and treble extension without being fatiguing. Treble is detailed but smooth, and the amount of detail top-to-bottom makes the Westone 4 sound downright veiled.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,782 of 40,577
Just came back from Aid2hearing where I did my ear impressions. I've emailed pics to Jack for his approval, after I'll send them off.

I don't think I'm buying the iPhone 7 at the moment, sticking with my iPhone 6 which is jailbroken and loving it with an app called "EqualizerEverywhere". I'll stay on the iPhone 6 until a jailbrake for iPhone 7 is out then I'll definitely buy one

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #2,784 of 40,577
Does anyone know of a good clean dac amp that pairs good with the Spartan? Prefer around the $150 range.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,787 of 40,577

Opus#11 sounds pretty good.

I've been looking for a place to purchase the Opus#11 in the US, but can't find one. Even Opus's own website doesn't have it for sale yet. Could anyone share a link to a US based store?

Don't want to derail EE thread, so I posted a link to US distributor in Opus#11 thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/816199/audio-opus-opus-11/60#post_12851679

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,788 of 40,577
Was hoping my refit supra's would have made it back before the weekend.  Guess I'll have to wait until next week for them to turn up.  Oh well good things come to he who waits!

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,789 of 40,577
Just came back from Aid2hearing where I did my ear impressions. I've emailed pics to Jack for his approval, after I'll send them off.

I don't think I'm buying the iPhone 7 at the moment, sticking with my iPhone 6 which is jailbroken and loving it with an app called "EqualizerEverywhere". I'll stay on the iPhone 6 until a jailbrake for iPhone 7 is out then I'll definitely buy one

So you were the other EE customer to see her today :D

Gisele mentioned setting up a music 'lounge' in London on an occasional basis to let people try the iems she's helping distribute at the moment. Hopefully EE will join her repertoire too so it could be a nice few hours trial lint iems

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,790 of 40,577
How was the experience with Gisele? Did you get to and out more about the customisation process?

I was there for around 15 minutes at 15 Harley Street. She did 2 pairs of my ear impressions. We didn't discuss much about the impressions. Jack has confirmed that the impressions were excellent, so I'm sending a pair tomorrow to Jack

So you were the other EE customer to see her today
biggrin.gif

Gisele mentioned setting up a music 'lounge' in London on an occasional basis to let people try the iems she's helping distribute at the moment. Hopefully EE will join her repertoire too so it could be a nice few hours trial lint iems

Yes it was me, I was there for the 11am appointment. She did an excellent job with the impressions. I was a happy man. I wish she can setup a demo shop for many iems so that we can try before we buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back