Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,746 of 40,577
I've decided not to change phones exactly because they've done something stupid like this by removing the headphone jack. This actually prompted me to buy the questyle dap recently and, as others say, most daps will sound miles better than an iPhone. I also don't like carrying too many things around so even my mojo is only used at home.

As for having an adapter for the headphones, if it's like any other Apple cable it'll probably break quite quickly with the amount of use it gets and will probably cost £($)25 each time. If I wasn't so invested in Apple app and music wise I would have switched to android

Agree. I hate stacking too. My Mojo is entirely used at home only. The L5K is a very understated beginner's DAP and plays very well with the Zeus.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #2,747 of 40,577
I'll try jack again but already sent two messages through head fi and tried contacting on Skype. I'll have to wait for him to get in c0ntact as I might have certain requests that need discussing anyway even if demo units aren't available. Thanks for your advice :)

I think he's out of town. I imagine he'll be returning emails shortly.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,748 of 40,577

Agree. I hate stacking too. My Mojo is entirely used at home only. The L5K is a very understated beginner's DAP and plays very well with the Zeus.

I'll buy one of these probably next month. By then I should have my Zeus & iPhone 7 and see if the sound from the lightining port will improve over the old headphone jack

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,750 of 40,577
Most important

1. Extreme clarity
2. Forward energetic midrange

About to get a demo unit of the Zeus or Zeus r.

Based on the above 2 things.

Should I try Zeus 14 or Zeus R?

I've not heard the new R version yet but from what I've heard in the XIV and from reading this forum the original XIV is more in line with what you're looking for.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,751 of 40,577
Most important

1. Extreme clarity
2. Forward energetic midrange

About to get a demo unit of the Zeus or Zeus r.

Based on the above 2 things.

Should I try Zeus 14 or Zeus R?

Clarity I give the edge to the ZR. Forward energetic mid... the Z is more in comparison to me by memory, but the ZR is more than capable. As someone who likes a mid centric sound, I found the mids of the Z amazingly engageing, but I certainly wasn't disappointed going to the ZR.

Both are great at the end of the day.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,752 of 40,577
Clarity I give the edge to the ZR. Forward energetic mid... the Z is more in comparison to me by memory, but the ZR is more than capable. As someone who likes a mid centric sound, I found the mids of the Z amazingly engageing, but I certainly wasn't disappointed going to the ZR.

Both are great at the end of the day.

I'm. So torn between... I definitely need to be satisfied for next 5 years

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,753 of 40,577
I'm. So torn between... I definitely need to be satisfied for next 5 years

If it were me, I'd probably demo the Zeus. If for some bizzare reason, you wish there was more clarity and sense of space, go for the Zeus R. At the same time, if you feel like you'd be fine losing a bit of midrange forwardness for a bit more clarity, then make the move to the Zeus R. 

I think you'll be happy with the Zeus otherwise.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,754 of 40,577
If it were me, I'd probably demo the Zeus. If for some bizzare reason, you wish there was more clarity and sense of space, go for the Zeus R. At the same time, if you feel like you'd be fine losing a bit of midrange forwardness for a bit more clarity, then make the move to the Zeus R. 

I think you'll be happy with the Zeus otherwise.

Thank you all so much

That is what I'll. Do

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #2,755 of 40,577
  I've owned K10's ...to my ears w/my gear, the Zeus-R is the ace of spades in the IEM game. 

don't say that in the noble thread , the fanboys will CRUCIFY you 
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,757 of 40,577
I have to admit I have a guilty pleasure. I like going on websites and window shop custom in-ear monitors and fiddle with designs. I made this on the EE website

That is some straight up Captain America stuff right there! I know moedawg140 might like this design.

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,758 of 40,577
The Zeus reviewed.

Lots of questions answered in this write up:

https://twister6.com/2016/09/06/empire-ears-zeus-r/

Nice work Alex, enjoyed reading it.

ps. I know Zeus and hiss has become a whole thing, but I've just got to say I am not bothered at all by hiss.. even with the LPG. And that's with the more sensitive Zeus-XIV. I almost feel embarrassed saying this 
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,759 of 40,577
  Nice work Alex, enjoyed reading it.

ps. I know Zeus and hiss has become a whole thing, but I've just got to say I am not bothered at all by hiss.. even with the LPG. And that's with the more sensitive Zeus-XIV. I almost feel embarrassed saying this 
redface.gif

How bad is the hiss? I'm now having second thought of getting the Zeus.

Question. If you had a second chance and know what you now, will you buy the Zeus?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back