Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 23, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #13,681 of 40,604
They're back! :D

A Ghost.JPG

May 23, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #13,682 of 40,604
must be the mod thing - i get zero hiss with my Zeus XR/WM1A combo

It's also present on unmodded 1A's and 1Z's. I'm more sensitive to hiss than most people I meet, so I'm probably just more sensitive to hiss than you are.

May 23, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #13,683 of 40,604
May 23, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #13,684 of 40,604
May 23, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #13,685 of 40,604
Why are these DAPs superior to others even though they hiss?

Hiss is dependent on the IEM's sensitivity, so in my case, it's only present on EE's IEMs so far. The hiss itself is really minimal, so it's a non-issue for me. I personally love the 1A because of its mix of price, build, UI and sonic performance - especially once modded. The DAPs that @kubig123 mentioned are either too expensive (SP1000) or inferior in terms of UI and ergonomics (DX200). Also, I was very eager to adopt the 4.4mm architecture, so a K-modded, second-hand mint 1A was the clear bang-for-the-buck option. All in all, it's simply personal choices of mine.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #13,686 of 40,604
Hiss is dependent on the IEM's sensitivity, so in my case, it's only present on EE's IEMs so far. The hiss itself is really minimal, so it's a non-issue for me. I personally love the 1A because of its mix of price, build, UI and sonic performance - especially once modded. The DAPs that @kubig123 mentioned are either too expensive (SP1000) or inferior in terms of UI and ergonomics (DX200). It's simply a personal choice of mine.

D, my 1A is currently in transit back to me (hooray)

Can you tell me how I can go about trying to reproduce the hissing and I'll let you know if it's present with the newest mod.

S

May 23, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #13,687 of 40,604

Can you tell me how I can go about trying to reproduce the hissing and I'll let you know if it's present with the newest mod.

S

All you have to do is plug it in, man. :D To fully tell how loud the hiss is compared to dead silence, plug the IEMs in then turn on the DAP. I don't think it's the mod's problem, though; I've heard the same hiss on stock 1A's and 1Z's. The only thing the mod could do is potentially remove hiss. If so, I'd definitely sign up for that Premium Plus mod. :p

May 23, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #13,688 of 40,604
All you have to do is plug it in, man. :D To fully tell how loud the hiss is compared to dead silence, plug the IEMs in then turn on the DAP. I don't think it's the mod's problem, though; I've heard the same hiss on stock 1A's and 1Z's. The only thing the mod could do is potentially remove hiss. If so, I'd definitely sign up for that Premium Plus mod. :p

It's described by Calvin as having a "blacker background," which hopefully will mean no hiss. I'll let you know :)

May 23, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #13,689 of 40,604
It's described by Calvin as having a "blacker background," which hopefully will mean no hiss. I'll let you know :)

Well, sonically, a blacker background indicates greater dynamic range between silence in the track and transient response. Notes pop more and it creates a greater sense of headroom, dynamic energy and transparency. It doesn't really have anything to do with hiss if that is indeed what Calvin is talking about, but it's worth a shot nevertheless. :wink:

May 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #13,690 of 40,604
Yep, Daniel is spot on. Hiss is different from black background. Hiss is noise floor. Lower hiss helps the black background pop. But those 2 are mutually exclusive. For example, when you compare the Zeus between Mojo and LPG, LPG has a blacker background despite having more hiss. Mojo has less hiss, but the background isn't as black as the LPG.

May 23, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #13,691 of 40,604

S

S, typically using a cable with lower impedance results in increased hiss, as the overall conductance of the chain is increased, and the noise floor gets through easily. As the MS mod involves replacing the internal cables with the 1960 cables which are low impedance cables, the mod would only increase the hiss. But I don't think you would have to worry, because, from what I gather, Leg X is not a hissy IEM like the Zeus or Phantom.

May 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #13,692 of 40,604
Well, sonically, a blacker background indicates greater dynamic range between silence in the track and transient response. Notes pop more and it creates a greater sense of headroom, dynamic energy and transparency. It doesn't really have anything to do with hiss if that is indeed what Calvin is talking about, but it's worth a shot nevertheless. :wink:

Yep, Daniel is spot on. Hiss is different from black background. Hiss is noise floor. Lower hiss helps the black background pop. But those 2 are mutually exclusive. For example, when you compare the Zeus between Mojo and LPG, LPG has a blacker background despite having more hiss. Mojo has less hiss, but the background isn't as black as the LPG.

S, typically using a cable with lower impedance results in increased hiss, as the overall conductance of the chain is increased, and the noise floor gets through easily. As the MS mod involves replacing the internal cables with the 1960 cables which are low impedance cables, the mod would only increase the hiss. But I don't think you would have to worry, because, from what I gather, Leg X is not a hissy IEM like the Zeus or Phantom.

Got it!

May 23, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #13,694 of 40,604
My LX is on its way, can't wait, tho disappointed they shipped slow, i got spoilt with UM and others from Hong Kong, China to get it 2, 3 days max i guess, have to wait till Tuesday,, ah.. Hard life

May 23, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #13,695 of 40,604
My LX is on its way, can't wait, tho disappointed they shipped slow, i got spoilt with UM and others from Hong Kong, China to get it 2, 3 days max i guess, have to wait till Tuesday,, ah.. Hard life

Worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back