Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 20, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #13,576 of 40,587
So much for waiting for Canjam for the possible discount eh? :p
Courtesy of Ethan's magic trick :relieved:

I get to enjoy em two months in advance, and avoid a post show backlog :smiling_imp:

I think that with the universals it is very much down to biology how they will fit. I saw that Ethan's universals fit almost exactly like CIEMs, but for me they tend to protrude quite a bit. I still have to try out different tips a bit more, as it seems that with the Final tips I am not getting my usual fit, always slightly off. So I might switch to tips I got with my Custom Art Ei.3 universals, which sound slightly warmer than the Final tips, but the smaller size works well to get a deeper fit and a good seal. I tried finding Spiral Dots or Ortofon tips, but neither seem available in the UK.

Then again, if you are getting CIEMs it is all academic anyway (perhaps useful for other though).
worth a try to pm @Dopaminer , he might still be able to procure you with Ortofon and JVC Spiral Dots tips. Or Dimitry Trush of Musica Acoustics. Got mine from them

May 20, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #13,577 of 40,587
Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #13,578 of 40,587
That is also what I just did :grin:
Went with translucent royal purple shells with abalone. 2nd design I was considering to try was translucent royal purple on one side and translucent royal green on the other with Hulk swirl for both facelates. Nacre iridescence is beautiful in low light comditions too.

Are those uiems or ciems? I hope the Legend X doesn’t protrude more than my orig Zeus

Yep, universals as @Deezel177 mentioned. They do protrude a bit, but as I mentioned in my review they are fantastically comfortable despite the large size. I could wear these all day (and I do).

Thanks! Yes, the lionheart is too relaxed, which I don't mind normally but it does not have as much sub bass as the ares and that I can't live without :p It is great for vocals and taming the highs but for me the synergy is not there. .. It pairs really well with my imr r1 though. ..

The Norne might be too energetic for me though, maybe I should try the Thor II +. ..

The Thor II+ is pretty relaxed and smooth. If that's what you're after, it's a good choice. I personally prefer a bit more energy. Then again, I have 10+ pairs of IEMs and the Thor II+ is simply a better match for my Dita Dream so it lives there. So that makes the decision a bit easier. I could live with it on the Legend X, but it's a bit too smooth for me. I need just a tad more bite, which the Norne Silvergarde provides.

Hey Collin - How does it compare SQ wise to the Leo with Legend X and how does the feel differ?

Well, the Leo is much, much more comfortable. The cable is so soft and supple, you just forget it's there. That's worth its weight in gold (bad pun...the cable has gold in it right?), but the Silvergarde provides a more authoritative sound with stronger bass presence. Treble isn't too different, actually, but the Leo sound signature is brighter overall while the Silvergarde is just a tad more relaxed and musical. The bass is really where you'll hear the difference with the Silvergarde extending to sub-subterranean levels without stopping. It's really a sound to be heard.

Cheers,

-Collin-

May 20, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #13,580 of 40,587

Fantastic review as always. You’ve gotten me even more excited for my custom LX to arrive. This paragraph emulates my thoughts on the LX perfectly... “For my tastes, this is the single best all-arounder. In that it does everything exceptionally well, but almost nothing at the very top level. Which means, it sounds amazing with all sorts of music, but there are IEMs which do specific things better. Yet nothing I’ve heard so far covers as many aspects as well as LX.”

May 20, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #13,581 of 40,587
worth a try to pm @Dopaminer , he might still be able to procure you with Ortofon and JVC Spiral Dots tips. Or Dimitry Trush of Musica Acoustics. Got mine from them
Thanks for the tip, will give that a try!
Oh boy, another "Pinky Special" and one that I have been looking forward to very much! Time to put the kettle on! :nerd:

May 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #13,582 of 40,587
as I said on the other thread, great write up and thanks.

May 20, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #13,583 of 40,587
@PinkyPowers loved the review, thanks so much. I think you just cost me about $800. I had been thinking something along the lines of the 8 wire Thor Silver would be a perfect pairing. I even filled out the Bespoke form at EA's website.

Oh well, you only live once :) we will see if I can just live with the Norne for now, but I'm pretty sure I know how this story will end.

-Collin-

May 20, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #13,584 of 40,587
@PinkyPowers loved the review, thanks so much. I think you just cost me about $800. I had been thinking something along the lines of the 8 wire Thor Silver would be a perfect pairing. I even filled out the Bespoke form at EA's website.

Oh well, you only live once :) we will see if I can just live with the Norne for now, but I'm pretty sure I know how this story will end.

-Collin-

lol. So sorry. It really does amazing things to LX, though. :D

May 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #13,585 of 40,587
I think that with the universals it is very much down to biology how they will fit. I saw that Ethan's universals fit almost exactly like CIEMs, but for me they tend to protrude quite a bit. I still have to try out different tips a bit more, as it seems that with the Final tips I am not getting my usual fit, always slightly off. So I might switch to tips I got with my Custom Art Ei.3 universals, which sound slightly warmer than the Final tips, but the smaller size works well to get a deeper fit and a good seal. I tried finding Spiral Dots or Ortofon tips, but neither seem available in the UK.

Then again, if you are getting CIEMs it is all academic anyway (perhaps useful for other though).
I have the same thing with Bravado fit. They protrude, and are tip dependent. The driver flex is off the charts with all tips, final audio, spiral dots, RHA, symbio mandrin and spin fits. They do seal and when they do they are incredible not just for their price. I haven't had them but a few days but they are as enjoyable as Andromeda and fit is about the same as far as protruding goes. I don't think there is anything to be done about driver flex but I'm open to suggestions. Bottom line, incredible value.

May 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #13,586 of 40,587
May 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #13,588 of 40,587
Great review! Did you get 22 AWG or 26 AWG with the Thor Silver II (or is it II+)? How would you compare it to the Leo in terms of sound and fit for portable use and travel? Also, what kind of case do the bespoke cables come with?

It will be a long time before I feel certain how this cables compares to the others. I did a little of that in my LX review, but I don't want to make any grand statements until I've had plenty of time to absorb what I'm hearing.

It is the 26AWG version. Ergonomics are not far off from their 4-wire cables. Heavier, sure, but easy to use. I am genuinely impressed by that. I feared the worst. This particular Bespoke variant did not come with a carry case. But the box is crazy beautiful!

May 20, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #13,589 of 40,587
Great review! Did you get 22 AWG or 26 AWG with the Thor Silver II (or is it II+)? How would you compare it to the Leo in terms of sound and fit for portable use and travel? Also, what kind of case do the bespoke cables come with?

If you’ve seen my 8-wire Lionheart review, the box is essentially the same. The only differences are in the outer sleeving (it says “Bespoke” instead of “Lionheart”), the PSquared plug info card and the foam cut-out. The Lionheart box has a square cut-out for the leather pouch and the cable, while the Bespoke box has a circular cut-out for just the cables themselves.

May 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #13,590 of 40,587
So I spent the weekend with the universal ESR.

I wanted the bass performance of the Bravado with the layering of the Spartan (better layering if possible). The ESR is hands down the one for me. It has the bass extension, layering, holographic staging, smooth but technically brilliant sound signature I have been looking for. It does not slam like the Bravado, but the bass is brilliant on the ESR. It is the best all-around bass I have heard.

I am not sure how EE managed to make an IEM so revealing and yet lacking any harshness.

I will be going custom with the ESR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back