Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 21, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #13,606 of 40,559
This is really what i needed to hear Pinky, thanks, i got UM Mentor 3 as Uni and have not been disappointed, had others in the past too and most of my customs have not been that successful.
Mostly i needed the bass to be best, so would use JVC Spiral Dots, but main reason to go for another IEM and being broke is what it seems Empire have achieved in that department with the DDs
Can't wait now

I too have mentor v3 (on tour got About another week) I enjoy it a lot very easy listening, I love it, I find the dbgo thing is kind of a gimmick tho, only affects sub bass, not slam or impact which mostly mid bass is responsible for.
Clarity is also ok.
But the 2100 price is out of means. Not for that . Idk. 1k or 1.2 tops.
It doesn't sound 2.1k not to me, Throw a little more and get the Zeus., slightly more than that and get a u18, or kse1500

Anyways sound and fit alone the Mentor v3 is one of the best fitting universals I've ever felt. And the sound is stellar even out of a poor source like a phone, or playing YouTube mp3. Great for on the go. Would love it to be my gym bud. But whoa... 2.1k? Because of that you won't hear much about mentor v3 and units won't move much

May 21, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #13,607 of 40,559
I too have mentor v3 (on tour got About another week) I enjoy it a lot very easy listening, I love it, I find the dbgo thing is kind of a gimmick tho, only affects sub bass, not slam or impact which mostly mid bass is responsible for.
Clarity is also ok.
But the 2100 price is out of means. Not for that . Idk. 1k or 1.2 tops.
It doesn't sound 2.1k not to me, Throw a little more and get the Zeus., slightly more than that and get a u18, or kse1500

Anyways sound and fit alone the Mentor v3 is one of the best fitting universals I've ever felt. And the sound is stellar even out of a poor source like a phone, or playing YouTube mp3. Great for on the go. Would love it to be my gym bud. But whoa... 2.1k? Because of that you won't hear much about mentor v3 and units won't move much
I've listed mine a while back, then decided not to sell, but now again with Legend i would need to.
So, would you say the Empires would be more worth of the 2k crown then?
I agree prices have gone out of control and silly.and yes, fit on UM is fantastic also great isolation

May 21, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #13,608 of 40,559
I've listed mine a while back, then decided not to sell, but now again with Legend i would need to.
So, would you say the Empires would be more worth of the 2k crown then?
I agree prices have gone out of control and silly.and yes, fit on UM is fantastic also great isolation

I don't think any iem ever should be more than 500$,but its the world we live in now this is real life,
Every purchase is a vote and once we idiotphiles stop buying ridiculous prices iems/hps the market will still go on, as they will still make money,release a product renew it sell it again,, phone manufactures, beats hps for example have been making more money than anyone selling 300 garbage cans
Got carried away there, my apologies dear reader.

I believe based on reviews I've read and what I've heard and dealt with Empire Ears that their pricing is a good and accurate price/performance balance.

That is if you accept the real life where iems costs as much as some rich kids are willing to pay. I'm not a rich kid at all, but an idiotphile indeed

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #13,609 of 40,559
I don't think any iem ever should be more than 500$,but its the world we live in now this is real life,
Every purchase is a vote and once we idiotphiles stop buying ridiculous prices iems/hps the market will still go on, as they will still make money,release a product renew it sell it again,, phone manufactures, beats hps for example have been making more money than anyone selling 300 garbage cans
Got carried away there, my apologies dear reader.

I believe based on reviews I've read and what I've heard and dealt with Empire Ears that their pricing is a good and accurate price/performance balance.

That is if you accept the real life where iems costs as much as some rich kids are willing to pay. I'm not a rich kid at all, but an idiotphile indeed
Agree, i just wish i was a rich kid, not a desperate to hear every great audio thing out there muso guy
That's why meetings are great, interaction with kinder spirits haha

May 21, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #13,610 of 40,559
Definitely go custom. Better sq, fit and looks
Hey hey, easy with the unsupported blanket statements now : ) Don't want to confuse @soundblast75. The two sound different. I was going to link @flinkenick's review on the Phantoms where he explains the differences at least for that iem but I see he's now taken it down : ( Sure, a wonderful sounding iem for the crowd they were tuned for but they were a filthy purchase all the same. I just wish I was stronger so I could've walked out of the shop without them. There was NO way.

IIRC custom had slightly more lower-mids, maybe even into mid-bass too resulting in a touch more musical approach. I think the more accurate of the two in timbre as well? Where universals counter with a little more openness/spacious soundstage due to less body. Please correct me if I'm wrong Nick. Actually Nick was discussing this on his thread only a few days ago too. Can only be a few pages back in your interested.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #13,611 of 40,559
Definitely go custom. Better sq, fit and looks
True, until the next new best thing comes out and you end up almost giving them away, especially now with fewer reshell options. I don't want to hate on customs, I love the way they fit and look. It's just that I've never owned a pair of phones longer than a couple of years, no matter how much I liked them. Guess I like the changes of pace. I'm lucky universals generally fit me well.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #13,614 of 40,559
You not alone my friend, most of us here in the same boat as you:ksc75smile:
I well might be only guy in uk to own them??
Told my friends that know my hobby, they thought I've definitely flipped now

May 22, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #13,616 of 40,559
It may sound strange, but I couldn't really imaging buying customs unless I had enough money to afford both custom and universal of the same model :p
For me, it's just like what's the point if I can't share them with other people and let them experience it too? (especially non-audiophiles) :)

May 22, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #13,617 of 40,559
Listening to Mentor V3 today, really great but i need more bass for sure..

I'm listening to the Mason V3 today lol. I'm on the review tour.
Enjoyed your posts recently; I think you're going to have a blast with the LegendX!
I too travel on the London Underground often. I'll keep an eye out for someone wearing a pair of LegendX :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #13,619 of 40,559
It may sound strange, but I couldn't really imaging buying customs unless I had enough money to afford both custom and universal of the same model :p
For me, it's just like what's the point if I can't share them with other people and let them experience it too? (especially non-audiophiles) :)
So true. I remember feeling like a real a**hole with my only pair of customs :ksc75smile:

Nah, but I really wanted to share the experience and back then I didn't even know any other audiophiles. I woulda been blowing minds everywhere I went lol

May 22, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #13,620 of 40,559

Oddly, I've always preferred force-fitting other people's customs over auditioning universal demos. The latter is infinitely more convenient and easier to write about, but the former always provides a more accurate representation of the custom unit (even if finding a proper seal requires constant effort). Of course, in my case, the objective is to gauge what my theoretical custom would sound like. If the end goal is personal all-round enjoyment, then yes, the universal would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back