Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 12, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #13,397 of 40,613
May 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #13,398 of 40,613
Impressions listening to my new Bravados (Universals):

Form and Fit
- super comfy (the conch is designed for your ears)
- Ares cable is bling and attracts attention but is a little tangly
- beefy 3.5mm connector
- isolation is slightly above average (if ER4XR is 9/10, these are 8/10). I need to play around with the tips

Sound
- holy sub-bass! These babies pack a sizeable punch in the sub-bass when the song calls for it
- mid-bass is clear and does not leak into the sub-bass or mid. Strong, punchy and tight with quick decay. Uncongested.
- male vocals are clear and not drowned out by the bass. Almost as good as the ER4s
- female vocals slice through the bass and get lifted by the treble. Sound like lullabies being sung to you. Lovely
- treble has very, very good extension. Airy, clear, springy, fast decay and no sibilance.
- soundstage width is very wide due to extension on both ends (sub-bass and upper treble are both very well extended)
- soundstage depth is above average. Notes hit hard and go pretty deep
- I would say these have a balanced signature with a slight bias towards warmth. The sub-bass and bass definitely grab your attention, followed by the non-recessed and beautifully coherent vocals and then the pleasant sounding treble. None of them drown out each other. Must be the crossover technology they use

Conclusion
- worth every $599 I spent! Make my other IEMs sound like crap (ER4XR, Campfire Comets, iBasso IT01, GR07BE). Not the same price points obviously but you really get what you pay for these
- I wish the isolation was a bit better. Despite how deep I inserted the earbuds, I still heard sound coming in on the subway. Takes away from the bass. IT01 and ER4XR are superior in this regard (9/10 for isolation). These would be (8/10).

Future
- I demo'd a Chord Mojo with the Bravados and I really liked it. Adds sparkle to the treble and cleans up the mid-range a bit. Looks like my next purchase. I don't have $2300 for the Legend X.

Final Thoughts
- very glad Charles at Headfoneshop showed me these in-store when I asked if he had a IEM with good sub-bass :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #13,399 of 40,613
Impressions listening to my new Bravados (Universals):

Form and Fit
- super comfy (the conch is designed for your ears)
- Ares cable is bling and attracts attention but is a little tangly
- beefy 3.5mm connector
- isolation is slightly above average (if ER4XR is 9/10, these are 8/10). I need to play around with the tips

Sound
- holy sub-bass! These babies pack a sizeable punch in the sub-bass when the song calls for it
- mid-bass is clear and does not leak into the sub-bass or mid. Strong, punchy and tight with quick decay. Uncongested.
- male vocals are clear and not drowned out by the bass. Almost as good as the ER4s
- female vocals slice through the bass and get lifted by the treble. Sound like lullabies being sung to you. Lovely
- treble has very, very good extension. Airy, clear, springy, fast decay and no sibilance.
- soundstage width is very wide due to extension on both ends (sub-bass and upper treble are both very well extended)
- soundstage depth is above average. Notes hit hard and go pretty deep
- I would say these have a balanced signature with a slight bias towards warmth. The sub-bass and bass definitely grab your attention, followed by the non-recessed and beautifully coherent vocals and then the pleasant sounding treble. None of them drown out each other. Must be the crossover technology they use

Conclusion
- worth every $599 I spent! Make my other IEMs sound like crap (ER4XR, Campfire Comets, iBasso IT01, GR07BE). Not the same price points obviously but you really get what you pay for these
- I wish the isolation was a bit better. Despite how deep I inserted the earbuds, I still heard sound coming in on the subway. Takes away from the bass. IT01 and ER4XR are superior in this regard (9/10 for isolation). These would be (8/10).

Future
- I demo'd a Chord Mojo and I really liked it. Adds sparkle to the treble and cleans up the mid-range a bit. Looks like my next purchase. I don't have $2300 for the Legend X.

Final Thoughts
- very glad Charles at Headfoneshop showed me these when I asked if he had a IEM with good sub-bass :)

Great impressions, thanks for sharing!
When you said "I demo'd a Chord Mojo and I really liked it. Adds sparkle to the treble and cleans up the mid-range a bit", was this referring to pairing the Mojo with the Bravado specifically? Interested to hear about that combination :)

May 12, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #13,400 of 40,613
Thanks! Will check that out. I already ordered the Effect Audio ultrashort 2.5 to 3.5, price was a little steep for an adapter tbh but didn't want to take chances on other brands.

Do you have universals or customs? The having tips on the universals seems to make it a little harder to fit them back in the case.

Wanted to buy the pelican case as well but am also concerned with scratching. I might try to cut out some of the hard foam from the aegis and substitute with a softer foam for less pressure when in a closed position.

Dignis case looks really sexy. Unfortunately, I don't have enough gear to fill it up. :frowning2:

@Ethan Groover - any advice on positioning UIEMs in the Aegis or even modding them to accommodate the extra height? It seems that my concern with clearance is shared by a few other people.

Oh yes, they do RUMBLE, but only when the track calls for it. I can now hear the sub-basssss of my music and it adds a lot of depth but is not overpowering at all.

I'm just thankful that you like them, lol. I hate giving advice and folks not liking it after they spend that money, lol. :wink:.

I am thinking long and hard about betting one of those cool Dingus cases Twister shared. They are probably the nicest ones I've seen. I'm using my Tumi 'Murse' that I have had. it works GREAT and I use it for my phone and everyone else I need to carry with me. The compartment for the AK380cu AND amp fits perfectly. Oh, it's also a Tumi and built like a tank and looks awesome. I use a rollator to walk (walker with wheels) so I need to have a 'Murse' (man purse) as it's just so much easier to carry stuff and I'm 58 and don't care what people think, lol... :wink:.

Yes they rumble. I DO wish they could figure out a Phantom WITH a DD 'sub bass' built in. THAT would be cool.

May 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #13,401 of 40,613
Great impressions, thanks for sharing!
When you said "I demo'd a Chord Mojo and I really liked it. Adds sparkle to the treble and cleans up the mid-range a bit", was this referring to pairing the Mojo with the Bravado specifically? Interested to hear about that combination :)

I edited my original post.

Yes, it was the Bravado + Mojo. I would say it adds more presence to the trebles and improves the extension while bringing the mids forward a little. It basically makes the Bravado more balanced and cleaner sounding and refined. Detail improves and the whole sound picture becomes more clear. The Bravado scales very nicely with amplification. Mojo improves it a lot imo (although it was already almost perfect).

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #13,402 of 40,613
I'm just thankful that you like them, lol. I hate giving advice and folks not liking it after they spend that money, lol. :wink:.

I am thinking long and hard about betting one of those cool Dingus cases Twister shared. They are probably the nicest ones I've seen. I'm using my Tumi 'Murse' that I have had. it works GREAT and I use it for my phone and everyone else I need to carry with me. The compartment for the AK380cu AND amp fits perfectly. Oh, it's also a Tumi and built like a tank and looks awesome. I use a rollator to walk (walker with wheels) so I need to have a 'Murse' (man purse) as it's just so much easier to carry stuff and I'm 58 and don't care what people think, lol... :wink:.

Yes they rumble. I DO wish they could figure out a Phantom WITH a DD 'sub bass' built in. THAT would be cool.

Dingus cases? You mean the Dignis Hako?

... don't hesitate.

A Phantom with a DD sub bass (like LX?)? Well nice thoughts but then the complementary difference to the LX wouldn't be the same :)
I really have to say I love the Phantoms bass exactly as it is. That's why i ordered a custom :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #13,403 of 40,613
Dingus cases? You mean the Dignis Hako?

... don't hesitate.

A Phantom with a DD sub bass (like LX?)? Well nice thoughts but then the complementary difference to the LX wouldn't be the same :)
I really have to say I love the Phantoms bass exactly as it is. That's why i ordered a custom :)

Yes, Dignis Hako. Sorry, with the MS, I don't always remember the exact names. Teh fact that I didn't go back to see the specific name and came up with Dingus is close enough for me :wink:.

I love the bass in the Phantom as you know. I just feel that is could use a tad more quantity in the sub bass. I have heard it run out of steam in the lowest regions on a couple of recordings I have used on my high end DAC/AMP. I know how it sounds on my 2 channel rig adn the BAs just have physical limitations. Nothing wrong with wanting a bit more of something at times.

May 12, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #13,404 of 40,613
Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #13,405 of 40,613
May 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #13,406 of 40,613
May 12, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #13,407 of 40,613
I've had the Dignis for more than a year- still love it. Holds everything, well-built, adjustable. Don't know that I would want to walk around with it slung over my shoulder, but when we were getting ready to evacuate during the fires of last fall in Southern California, my stuff was all in there nice and cosy and placed in a to-go grab bag.

May 12, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #13,408 of 40,613
I have channel imbalance for ESR and i been trying to reach Empire ears for 2 weeks now and no response. I don't know what to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back