Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #13,216 of 40,613
I really like the sound of CA Andromeda and Focal Utopia, will I like the the EE Phantom?

It depends. The Phantom to me is much warmer. Focal tunes their gear and tips the high end giving the sense of more openness etc... It's their sound signature. I also found the Andromeda to be tipped a bit in the lower highs if I recall correctly, but I haven't spent much time with them to be totally sure, so some slack if you will.

I feel the Phantom, right now, is the most 'reference' turned IEM. That's on purpose. If you listen to live music and let them burn in for over 100 hours and listen for a month, you will love them. They will give you most of what's on a recording. It took me awhile to get used to teh BA bass, but once I did, I realized how fast it can be and how accurate it is. It does give you the correct quantity. So many want and are used to the tipped up quantity of bass in headphones and IEM's (manufactures give you what you buy), but that's not reference or what true live music sounds like. If you go to heavily amped rock shows etc.., it may not be what you want. That's why they have teh Legend X. Let those burn in and the bass goes down a few DB and they tighten up greatly I was told. That may be closer to the Utopia sound. Headphones are just different than speakers or IEM's to me.

I own and love the ZMF Ori's (selling them as I don't listen to headphones anymore and I have lesser ones for playing around) due to their tonality. That's my ear though. YMMV....

Oh, I do have a friend (just remembered) who has Utopia's and LOVES teh Phantom's. He said that he can only listen to Utopia's for an hour or so as he can get fatigued depending on what he's listening to and he can keep the Phantom in for hours (he has the CIEM's like I do). Not sure if that helps or not.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #13,217 of 40,613
My rule of thumb is, if I find myself saying "that sounds really good!" it's too loud. I also find that, like salt, if I use less (sound), my brain and ears adjust and I don't need as much.

The problem with me is that my gear is TOTL, so I'll start at a reasonable volume but Hugo2 just makes IEMs sound amazing so I will gradually increase it. Then I'll go to the bathroom and come back and be like holy crap that is way too loud. I think taking a break every once in awhile just for a few minutes is a great way to see how loud you are listening. Hard to resist increasing volume with the TOTL setups though. When I've been listening too loud I get a sort of ringing that comes in and leaves like a plane or car going by, it's high pitched lasts a few seconds and then fades. This is when I give my ears a break, doesn't happen very often though.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #13,218 of 40,613
It depends. The Phantom to me is much warmer. Focal tunes their gear and tips the high end giving the sense of more openness etc... It's their sound signature. I also found the Andromeda to be tipped a bit in the lower highs if I recall correctly, but I haven't spent much time with them to be totally sure, so some slack if you will.

I feel the Phantom, right now, is the most 'reference' turned IEM. That's on purpose. If you listen to live music and let them burn in for over 100 hours and listen for a month, you will love them. They will give you most of what's on a recording. It took me awhile to get used to teh BA bass, but once I did, I realized how fast it can be and how accurate it is. It does give you the correct quantity. So many want and are used to the tipped up quantity of bass in headphones and IEM's (manufactures give you what you buy), but that's not reference or what true live music sounds like. If you go to heavily amped rock shows etc.., it may not be what you want. That's why they have teh Legend X. Let those burn in and the bass goes down a few DB and they tighten up greatly I was told. That may be closer to the Utopia sound. Headphones are just different than speakers or IEM's to me.

I own and love the ZMF Ori's (selling them as I don't listen to headphones anymore and I have lesser ones for playing around) due to their tonality. That's my ear though. YMMV....

Oh, I do have a friend (just remembered) who has Utopia's and LOVES teh Phantom's. He said that he can only listen to Utopia's for an hour or so as he can get fatigued depending on what he's listening to and he can keep the Phantom in for hours (he has the CIEM's like I do). Not sure if that helps or not.
i actually like the amount of bass on the phantoms for rock/metal. Not too crazy but not too light. Just about perfect. Maybe slightly more impact will be better, but as it is its perfectly fine

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #13,219 of 40,613
The problem with me is that my gear is TOTL, so I'll start at a reasonable volume but Hugo2 just makes IEMs sound amazing so I will gradually increase it. Then I'll go to the bathroom and come back and be like holy crap that is way too loud. I think taking a break every once in awhile just for a few minutes is a great way to see how loud you are listening. Hard to resist increasing volume with the TOTL setups though. When I've been listening too loud I get a sort of ringing that comes in and leaves like a plane or car going by, it's high pitched lasts a few seconds and then fades. This is when I give my ears a break, doesn't happen very often though.

I for one am a low volume listener, I have noticed that in meetups I listen 10 to 25% lower volumes with same setups than most.

This being said even so, you’re right about taking pauses you gradually become accustomed to higher volumes, and yes TOTL gear usually means lower distorsion pushing the volume is sneakier that way. Plus when highly musical, smooth engaging gear (I am looking at you VE8) can entice you to push the volume... while brighter gear will keep me very conservative about volume as it will (to my ears) sound harsh.

On the flipside transparency and clarity of TOTL gear, no matter which signature, makes it easier NOT to push the volume to get a full, clear, open sound :) I especially enjoy this with the Phantom, clarity and transparency is such that I don’t feel the need to push the volume (granted they are highly sensitive, compared to the VE8 I listen 10% lower volume). Also I like that bass kicks great at normal volume :metal:

Of course also depends on what kind of music you listen to, I tend to push volume more with Rock, Metal than other genres :p

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #13,220 of 40,613
I for one am a low volume listener, I have noticed that in meetups I listen 10 to 25% lower volumes with same setups than most.

This being said even so, you’re right about taking pauses you gradually become accustomed to higher volumes, and yes TOTL gear usually means lower distorsion pushing the volume is sneakier that way. Plus when highly musical, smooth engaging gear (I am looking at you VE8) can entice you to push the volume... while brighter gear will keep me very conservative about volume as it will (to my ears) sound harsh.

On the flipside transparency and clarity of TOTL gear, no matter which signature, makes it easier NOT to push the volume to get a full, clear, open sound :) I especially enjoy this with the Phantom, clarity and transparency is such that I don’t feel the need to push the volume (granted they are highly sensitive, compared to the VE8 I listen 10% lower volume). Also I like that bass kicks great at normal volume :metal:

Of course also depends on what kind of music you listen to, I tend to push volume more with Rock, Metal than other genres :p

Exactly, I'm 90% metal/hard rock and 10% synthwave so I'm cranking all the time.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #13,221 of 40,613
I really like the sound of CA Andromeda and Focal Utopia, will I like the the EE Phantom?

If you’re looking for an IEM to compliment them, then the Phantom would be an awesome pick. But, if you want an IEM with a similar sound, the Bravado would probably be best.

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #13,222 of 40,613
They are here, going to be a long day month end stuff until late tonight initial reactions CIEM version tighter out of the box, Smashing pumpkins Cherub Rock first song that came on and the Brvados slay Rock IMO, Second song Squib Cakes TOP, damn nice with that genre as well. And yes that is the Beatles playing but quickly hit next as that was almost done once i opened the package. Oh well, back to work but a teaser is in order.
0430180934_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #13,223 of 40,613
They are here, going to be a long day month end stuff until late tonight initial reactions CIEM version tighter out of the box, Smashing pumpkins Cherub Rock first song that came on and the Brvados slay Rock IMO, Second song Squib Cakes TOP, damn nice with that genre as well. And yes that is the Beatles playing but quickly hit next as that was almost done once i opened the package. Oh well, back to work but a teaser is in order.
Congrats! I'll be sending my Bravado back this week to get a loose connector fixed and hopefully will have it back soon. Can't wait to hear it again. :)

May 1, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #13,227 of 40,613

This absolutely helps! Thx.

Now that I think of it, I relly like guitar sound, which usually lives in mids, lower treble area, maybe that's why I love these phones.

Maybe getting the phantom is not a bad idea as it will give me different experience for the listening session.

I'm not a big fan of u-shaped headphones anymore, so have not done any digging on the legend x, the phantom looks like a better fit for me compared to that, and I also save money.

May 1, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #13,229 of 40,613
This absolutely helps! Thx.

Now that I think of it, I relly like guitar sound, which usually lives in mids, lower treble area, maybe that's why I love these phones.

Maybe getting the phantom is not a bad idea as it will give me different experience for the listening session.

I'm not a big fan of u-shaped headphones anymore, so have not done any digging on the legend x, the phantom looks like a better fit for me compared to that, and I also save money.

I personally would get it (I already did). It will be interesting to see how often you go to them. Let us know. Also share pics of what you get, lol. I love it when folks share pics of their IEM's.

May 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #13,230 of 40,613
re. Bravado, Vantage with Sony ZX300, ares 2 se and Dita truth spc 4.4 balanced.

Bravado punchier, great tactile and visceral bass, musical and well balanced mids and sparkly tho not bright treble (think a much better balanced/tuned CFA Polaris, but with similar level of technicalities and without the thin lower mids) going balanced made the bass more taut, better controlled, revealing more deets in mids and treble tho still more bass, both quantitative and qualitively than similar priced BAs.

Vantage, LUSH smooth and liquid like a chocolate foudue. the iem version of the AQ Nighthawk and along the lines of large driver DD hybrids like Aurisonics or Sony xba z5s BUT better with control, technicalities and coherence. less foward than the bravados, sounds like a pair of warm floorstanders in a carpeted room. nice sense of depth though, for better or worse, is imposed onto all recordings. ares2 and balanced via dita kept it from becoming veiled or muddy but its more earthy than airy. Think audeze pre fazor lcd 2.1 but more elevated bass.

imho, assuming that the dual dds are to increase bass weight, i would personally prefer the X series were designed around a single DD like the Bravado, because in terms of tonal balance, Bravado is close to my personal ideal, just less refinement /detail compared to its siblings.

had they paired the phantom* with 1DD (phantom X, perhaps) EE would have a "no brainer" reference on their hands.

*i realise most phantom owners already see the phantom as near perfect, and while by no means bass light, the bass on the X series, even the "entry" model has a visceral, timbral detail that i have yet to experience amongst the current crop of ToTL BA i have auditioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back