Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 29, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #13,201 of 40,539
I've got it in my right ear. Doesn't go away but the brain makes it louder or softer/more or less apparent. Sometimes I hear it more than others. By all means, turn your music down. I got mine from a lifetime of listening to loud music, but it never bothered me until my HMO stuck me in a tube that banged magnets around my head really loudly for about 45 minutes. They didn't find anything wrong with me, but after that pleasant experience I started noticing the tinnitus. Of course they couldn't do anything about THAT. :) I have co-workers twenty years younger than me (early 50's) who got theirs from the military (guns and aircraft) and they have to live with theirs. We commiserate.
Also, be aware that loud music can knock down your ability to hear higher tones (trebles and such). I had a hearing checkup a few years ago and the graph they created (with me pushing the button every time I heard a tone) shows a really nice falloff in the right ear and less in the left.

So all you boys and girls, be aware that your ears don't last forever, and judicious use of the volume knob is called for.
I've had it for many years; thankfully, a reasonably low level high pitch buzzing that never goes away. Don't panic, just go to your doctor, it may very well be temporary. But keep the volume level down, as someone said, below 85 dbl to not further damage or create permanent damage to your hearing. I bought a small decibel meter to give me an a non scientific measure of how loud I play my music. As I've said, I've had tinnitus for such a long time, and depending on the degree, your brain actually adapts to it and you can live a normal life and still enjoy your music. Good luck.
If it’s just come on or have you had it for a while? If it’s just recent then rest your ears for 10-14 days and it will more than likely go away. Your ears are like a muscle, ie if you run 20km and the following day you’re stiff but the muscles loosen up over the coming days well your hearing should do the same.
Then try and keep to <85db. I DJ’d techno for 10 years in clubs where they seem to take pleasure in making your monitor the loudest speaker in the house and unajustable. I use to get tinnitus all the time as a result, but it was fortunately always temporary. Obviously everyone’s hearing is different and if it persists then get it checked out. i dont know what your ears have been exposed to, but I think my point is, don’t necessarily panic, just give your ears a rest and then take the hint they’ve given you and turn it down a bit when you go back to listening... not always easy with iem’s this good :wink:

It is a recent development, within the last week or so. BTW, thanks for you guys' reponses. Boy, do i hope it does go away. I've laid off the IEMs for some days now since it started. I'm optimistic that the ringing will go away. I actually feel the ringing has went away in my right ear, but it's still there in my left. So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I'm definitely going to look into a decibal meter. Do you have any recommendations?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #13,203 of 40,539
Thanks for you guys' reponses. Boy, do i hope it does go away. I've laid off the IEMs for some days now since it started. I'm optimistic that the ringing will go away. I actually feel the ringing has went away in my right ear, but it's still there in my left. So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I'm definitely going to look into a decibal meter. Do you have any recommendations?

I have looked into this quite a bit as I’m using iems for long periods for work and normal db meters wont give you a reliable reading. The measurements need to be made in a recreated atficial ear canal. I have however found a company in the uk called LimitEar.com. They have years of experience in broadcast but they designed a limiter (initially working with sennheiser) which will work with any iem. You just supply them with the impedance, sensitivity and frequency range and they will set it up specifically for use with your iem. It cost £129. There are other “brick wall” limiters out there but this is designed to used with both audiophile and performers. I haven’t ordered yet because I haven’t settled on my chosen iem yet as I’ve issues with the tuning of my phantoms which are specific to a sensitivity I have in my hearing around 4-6khz. Their web address is
https://www.limitear.com/store/
And the model is hdm pro :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #13,204 of 40,539
Mine is not a ringing. It's like an electric carrier wave. Keep the volume down and keep your fingers crossed. :)
Mine is not a ringing either, technically. It sounds like the sound that the old tube televisions made when you turned them on. It's weird. But my fingers are definitely crossed!!!

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #13,206 of 40,539
I have looked into this quite a bit as I’m using iems for long periods for work and normal db meters wont give you a reliable reading. The measurements need to be made in a recreated atficial ear canal. I have however found a company in the uk called LimitEar.com. They have years of experience in broadcast but they designed a limiter (initially working with sennheiser) which will work with any iem. You just supply them with the impedance, sensitivity and frequency range and they will set it up specifically for use with your iem. It cost £129. There are other “brick wall” limiters out there but this is designed to used with both audiophile and performers. I haven’t ordered yet because I haven’t settled on my chosen iem yet as I’ve issues with the tuning of my phantoms which are specific to a sensitivity I have in my hearing around 4-6khz. Their web address is
https://www.limitear.com/store/
And the model is hdm pro :)

I'm definitely going to look into it. It would be great if the daps themselves had some way of indicating what db level they were at as the volume is increased/decreased. I know it would change depending on the IEM. But perhaps they could have a server that has different types of IEMs/headphone defaults, one that updates every so often as newer models come out. Then, a consumer could select what IEM/headphone they have or at least one that matched the same specifications. This is especially the case since damage to the ears is usually permanent and since we only have one pair of them. lol

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #13,207 of 40,539

It is a recent development, within the last week or so. BTW, thanks for you guys' reponses. Boy, do i hope it does go away. I've laid off the IEMs for some days now since it started. I'm optimistic that the ringing will go away. I actually feel the ringing has went away in my right ear, but it's still there in my left. So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I'm definitely going to look into a decibal meter. Do you have any recommendations?
Yeah, mine is like the sound of a flourescent light bulb hum. As far as meters, this one has worked well for me. Got it on Amazon. It can lock in on lowest or highest level reading, or just give you a moving reading. And it has a back light for reading in a dark environment. This definately won't be as accurate as the limiter mentioned above, but I was more interested in making sure I was at least in the ball park.
IMG_E4073.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #13,208 of 40,539
I'm definitely going to look into it. It would be great if the daps themselves had some way of indicating what db level they were at as the volume is increased/decreased. I know it would change depending on the IEM. But perhaps they could have a server that has different types of IEMs/headphone defaults, one that updates every so often as newer models come out. Then, a consumer could select what IEM/headphone they have or at least one that matched the same specifications. This is especially the case since damage to the ears is usually permanent and since we only have one pair of them. lol

This would be great but there are so many variables at play, that would make it a serious challenge one which only one of the bigger companys like sony or pioneer could take on. That said DAPs are such small potatoes selling in tiny numbers that i doubt they'd consider it. A good rule of thumb given to me by a couple of different audiologists is, the right volume for each individual is the lowest volume where one can here all of the music. Not much fun but might save your hearing. As i say unfortunately there is no reliable way of using an spl meter to get a measurement from an iem without recreating the ear canal, so id save your money and look at a limiter that or build a lifesize plastic head. Sadly the latter is beyond the sculpting skills i gained in O level art.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #13,209 of 40,539
My rule of thumb is, if I find myself saying "that sounds really good!" it's too loud. I also find that, like salt, if I use less (sound), my brain and ears adjust and I don't need as much.

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #13,210 of 40,539
I think imagining on my ESR is messed up. It's not centered, its favouring more right side, not by much but like 2 'O' clock maybe. First i thought it was gear. Then recently i bought Shanling M3s and noticed on there as well. So i figured its my ears... Then yesterday we had a local audiophile connect and few of them there confirmed that the imagining is messed up. Now i'm using the Left/Right balance to adjust the imagining

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #13,211 of 40,539
I think imagining on my ESR is messed up. It's not centered, its favouring more right side, not by much but like 2 'O' clock maybe. First i thought it was gear. Then recently i bought Shanling M3s and noticed on there as well. So i figured its my ears... Then yesterday we had a local audiophile connect and few of them there confirmed that the imagining is messed up. Now i'm using the Left/Right balance to adjust the imagining

Try to see if any of the sound bores are blocked by ear wax or debris.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #13,212 of 40,539
Try to see if any of the sound bores are blocked by ear wax or debris.

I cleaned but nothing changed. I noticed it the day I got it but i thought it was my ears.. Then when others tried they saw the same thing.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #13,213 of 40,539
I cleaned but nothing changed. I noticed it the day I got it but i thought it was my ears.. Then when others tried they saw the same thing.

Ahh, it seems like you have channel imbalance, then. Try contacting @Ethan Groover for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back