Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #12,706 of 40,559
Got in my first listen, very nice, fit good too (I was worried about that, my one other ciem experience didn't go well). Burn in time!
So glad. I know how worried I were. Same thing here. First timer and they just sat right in like a glove.

Very happy to hear surgery went well for you (as well as it could, in my opinion/assumption). Will keep praying for you during your hopefully fast recovery!

Ur the best Mo! Look forward to getting to know u.

Glad to hear it went well! I wish you a speedy recovery :)

Thanks Ethan. Appreciate it. Brenda loved the Bravado while waiting for about 5 hours or so I guess lol. She’ll bring the Phantom for me in the morning. Can’t sleep tonight so wish they were here lol.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #12,707 of 40,559
Hi @Neilsoto30 and welcome to the thread :)

I couldn't help smiling at this line: "All I have is my Zeus xr adel universals and a Fiio x7 mk II with an ares ii+ cable".
This must be one of the most humble and unassuming "all I have is.." comments on Head-Fi.
There's probably hundreds of members here who'd sell body parts to only have that set-up :D

I remember starting out with a Colorfly C3 DAP, C&C BH2 Amp and Audeo Phonak PF112 IEM's, and having my mind blown.
And it's only got better since then. It's a hell of a journey :)

I'm very happy for you though. I heard the Zeus XR at CanJam last year (before the two new EE ranges had been released) and thought it was the best IEM I'd ever heard.
I'm still thinking daily about it some 9 months later; that's quite an impression! :D

Thanks a ton for the cordial welcome; it's certainly appreciated. I was just trying to underscore the fact that I'm a little inexperienced at this point. My first foray into high-end audio came with the Shure Se530 about ten years ago. Then, I never kept up with it until recently when I bought the XR's. I love music. I'm a budding musician myself, so I truly appreciate and enjoy the hobby. And I certainly know this it's an expensive one that I know I can't afford to keep up with, at least compared to many guys around here. :) I was definitely impressed with the Zeus, as I went into buying them without having heard them. The only issue, I would say, is that I'd like more bass. It's the only reason I'd like to upgrade to the Legends. Anywho, nice to meet you all, and I love the hospitality.

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #12,708 of 40,559
Got in my first listen, very nice, fit good too (I was worried about that, my one other ciem experience didn't go well). Burn in time!

I'll wait for your gushing adoration to twist the knife in my heart yet deeper for not picking these up at Socal Camjam.......tried them and couldn't pull myself away. CONGRATS!

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #12,709 of 40,559
Great website to pick them up on lol. So much fun customizing them.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #12,710 of 40,559
am i the only Zeus owner here who finds its bass adequate ? hell , i even turn it down a little on my WM1A now and then

speaking of bass , does Phantom have more bass than Zeus ?

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #12,711 of 40,559
am i the only Zeus owner here who finds its bass adequate ? hell , i even turn it down a little on my WM1A now and then

Yes, it does. When you hear its signature as a whole, the Phantom’s bass is perfectly in-line with the midrange and treble, and you’ll consider it adequate too. Mid-bass impact is less forward compared to vocals and instruments, but there is a full-ness that comes from the low-end. The Zeus sacrifices this for an airier stage, while the Phantom relies on it for the organicity of its timbre, and the solidity of its stage. Also, the main draw of the Phantom’s bass is its sub-bass extension. It’s not the textured and rumbly bass that the Weapon IX drivers are known for, but there’s a bellowing gutturalness that infuses a lot of physicality into the ambience of the track. Instruments sound more rounded and complete because of this, and it tip-toes the line brilliantly between a bass heard, and a bass felt.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #12,712 of 40,559

proedros I also found the Zeus bass adequate. I think it is wonderfully layered and detailed, it just isn't going to rumble the fillings out of your molars.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #12,713 of 40,559
Yes! At long last doc! Finally a good fit. Gone are your acs ordeals :wink:

I admit I’m now in the camp that would like more sub and mid bass.
While I do have some albums where I’m absolutely content about how the Zeus delivers the impact, I gotta say most don’t.
But I’ve only realized this after getting the AAW Q uiems during last black friday for 42€. The Q has just 1DD. They are definately warm. They sure lacked the depth and height and were just wide, so it was impossible to render a 3D sound stage (to me the Zeus is still king of echolocation). The mids were still forward but not as intimate and good as the Zeus (duh). But otherwise the bass rendering was such fun to revisit all my stuff. Bobblehead enducing, head banging, toe tapping. Yet on the albums were the Zeus was plenty adequate, the Q went over the top but never to the point were I just had to skip to another music, I was still enjoying it while knowing it was too colored.
Did end up giving them away to my sister though. The fit issues I had with the Qs were atrocious regardless of the tip rolling. Utterly frustrating when you enjoy the music so much and they keep losing seal because my ears ousted em out with jaw motions.

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #12,714 of 40,559
Quick question, does anyone know the impedance and sensitivity specification for the EE Phantoms because i cant find the figures anywhere on the EE site.

thanks in advance, Rob:)

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #12,715 of 40,559
Quick question, does anyone know the impedance and sensitivity specification for the EE Phantoms because i cant find the figures anywhere on the EE site.

thanks in advance, Rob:)

Approximately 12ohms, they're subjectively very sensitive, though I can't state a figure. Quite hiss prone, high-end Campfire BA levels.

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #12,716 of 40,559
Also, the main draw of the Phantom’s bass is its sub-bass extension. It’s not the textured and rumbly bass that the Weapon IX drivers are known for, but there’s a bellowing gutturalness that infuses a lot of physicality into the ambience of the track. Instruments sound more rounded and complete because of this, and it tip-toes the line brilliantly between a bass heard, and a bass felt.

Stop, stop! You're killing me :D
Can't.. stop.. drooling.. :p

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #12,717 of 40,559
Perhaps you are too busy, in such case i volunteer to listen to your Phantom....free of charge,

Heh, this is the kind of unselfish altruism that warms the heart and makes me glad to be a part of this community :D

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #12,718 of 40,559
I was definitely impressed with the Zeus, as I went into buying them without having heard them. The only issue, I would say, is that I'd like more bass. It's the only reason I'd like to upgrade to the Legends. Anywho, nice to meet you all, and I love the hospitality.

You're most welcome! I had a brief listen to the Zeus XR and had the same feeling as you.
They totally blew me away in every aspect except that I felt there would probably be tracks/genres on which I would long for a more weighty low end :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #12,719 of 40,559
Approximately 12ohms, they're subjectively very sensitive, though I can't state a figure. Quite hiss prone, high-end Campfire BA levels.

thanks for the info. The reason i ask is i'm using the Phantoms, for work (film editing) as well just listening to music and although i believe i'm listening below the 85db limit i am getting some residual sensitivity to high pitch frequencies as tested out with some regularity with by 2 small children.

I've been recommended a limiter product the HDM Pro U, made by Limitear who are based here in the UK (https://www.limitear.com/store/). I believe they designed this initially as an OEM device to work with Sennheiser, but its now available to work with any iems, but they set them up to work with your specific make and model's impedance/ sensitivity.

I'm sometimes working for 4-6 hour sessions, so i'm keen to find a solution i can rely on. I will reserve judgement for music listening and as to whether it has a detrimental effect on sound quality.

Oh and yes agree the phantoms are way more sensitive than any headphone/ iem i've used before, so much so i've had to scrap using my dragon fly red with my iphone in favour my mojo dac, because i cant set the volume low enough. Its less of an issue at home with Hugo2 although i'm still on using a minute fraction of the available volume. i cant i've noticed much hiss, where as i did with the CA andromedas :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #12,720 of 40,559
There is the new iFi xDsD or the micro dsd black label with the iem match built-in. No hiss with Zeus or Zeus R.
But I thought the new lineups were less prone to hissing. Or I thought I had read that from the first impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back