Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 5, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #10,561 of 40,559
Well, I'm very glad to announce that I'll be attending the Empire launch event in Singapore this coming Friday. You can expect thorough impressions of both EP and X line-ups (including comparisons with the Zeus-XR), extensive photo coverage, as well as any miscellaneous info I can squeeze out of both the Empire and Effect Audio guys while I'm there - all encased within the structural framework of a THL article. It looks like it's gonna be a crap ton of work, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tremendously excited. :D

Please compare Zeus-XR against Phantom and come up with 1-2 things that the Zeus-XR does well over the Phantom and vice versa other than winning the war on driver count. Thanks.

Although I can listen to the Phantom anytime when I walk past e earphone, I ask for the Legend X every single time. :imp:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #10,562 of 40,559
Well, I'm very glad to announce that I'll be attending the Empire launch event in Singapore this coming Friday. You can expect thorough impressions of both EP and X line-ups (including comparisons with the Zeus-XR), extensive photo coverage, as well as any miscellaneous info I can squeeze out of both the Empire and Effect Audio guys while I'm there - all encased within the structural framework of a THL article. It looks like it's gonna be a crap ton of work, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tremendously excited. :D
I'll be there too!! See you there :dt880smile:

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #10,563 of 40,559
I have to agree with olddude for the presentation between Ares II (SE 3.5 mm) Ares II+ (balanced 2.5 mm) even though they are connected to CIEM Spartan IV and DP-X1, Fiio 5Xiii and AP200 (since I could not afford Zeus and SP1000). However, Ares II+ needs to be broken in little bit more time to time since I just got them 4 days ago. Ares II+ has very nice treble and midrange with airy soundstage (even bigger than Ares II to my ears) but there is very little low bass according to my mid-tier system. For now I like very much the SQ of Ares II in my system and will wait for the excitement of the Ares II+ in a couple weeks.
Notes: AP200 has only SE 3.5mm output.
I will get either the Bit Opus 2 or Opus 3 to add to my current portable systems.
I wouldn't recommend the Opus 2 for Zeus. It hisses quite a lot. Dunno about Opus 3 though. Zeus with AK70MKII, and WM1A sounds nice IMO. A little hiss, but unnoticeable when playing. :) For Spartan, I think the Opus 2 is OK. YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #10,565 of 40,559
Anyone can not or does not want to buy a $ 1k cable and The choice of cable depends on the criteria of each.
For mart share:
The choice of a cable depand of my use (outside), the budget (300 to 350 $) and the pair of iem or ciem. (Zeus Xr adel)
I chose the superbax Linum, because it is flexible, end, the returns are good, the right price and available immediately, compared to a plussoundaudio who has a 6 to 8 week availability.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #10,566 of 40,559
That is fine. I respect your opinion but I still believe the changes in sound like audio lovers used to say “break-in cables and/or components.”
I still refer and quote how the audio experts put their opinions into words to explain why they use those words:

“Cables: Most all cable manufacturers agree that break-in is a result of changes in the conductor and/or dielectric. According to one manufacturer: "The insulation (or dielectric) will absorb energy from the conductor when a current is flowing (i.e. when music is playing). This energy-absorption causes the dielectric's molecules to re-arrange themselves from a random order into a uniform order. When the molecules have been rearranged, the dielectric will absorb less energy & consequently cause less distortion."

And this link:

https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/breaking-in-cables-and-components/
If the cables need break in, how do manufacturers make the quality control and adjust them to a specific signature without break in. As the signature is gonna change after break in.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #10,567 of 40,559
They use a reference cable that is 'broken in'. All components have minute differences in them. My friend who makes speakers and amps (very high end 2 channel audio) does very careful matching of components from his own hand built carbon fiber drivers to the cap he uses in his crossovers and amps to the tubes he uses in his amps. The more expensive gear has the most closely matched drivers and components. The less expensive speakers have the same drivers, but teh ones that didn't match up nearly perfectly for the other speakers/amps (but still VERY close tolerance). In very critical listening you can tell the differences. That said you are also taking about speakers north of 60k a pair and amps that are in the same region vs speakers in the 30k a pair range and mono blocks that are in the 15k a pair range.

I also agree that it sure seems like Jack and his design team have paired up the IEM's with cable that is premium and give the sound signature they want. Folks in audio always want to tinker or fine tune or even change what they hear, so it's very interesting to read these posts.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #10,568 of 40,559
Effect Audio special edition cable for VE8 paired well with Zeus-XR. A significant upgrade from the Empire Ear stock cable. Much more detailed perceived and improved the treble extension. It also slightly increases the bass presence, compared to the EE stock cable where the bass is totally non-existence. Zeus-XR does scale well with a decent copper cable. Really look forward when the Ares II arrives. The dealer will contact me asap when the Ares II is back on stock, but I have to return the Empire Ear stock cable ... so no AB comparison. :crying_cat_face:
IMG_20180206_082301.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #10,570 of 40,559
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #10,572 of 40,559
Actually, as we speak my ll+ 2.5 is heading Eastward and a ll 2.5 is heading Westward in a Head-Fi trade of "epic proportions," Touchdown for both should be Wednesday afternoon. I'm not saying this is the cause of the stock market dropping by 1000+ points, but... you can be the judge.

My original ll 3.5 is inconsolable, but, as I told it, we have to do what is good for the team, and there is no "I" in cable.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #10,573 of 40,559
Not to terrorize anyone, but Leonidas was very appealing with Zeus XR, when I borrowed SubGuy's.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #10,574 of 40,559
Not to terrorize anyone, but Leonidas was very appealing with Zeus XR, when I borrowed SubGuy's.

I tried paring the Zeus-XR with Leonidas Black Edition. It significant bought up the bass and make it punchy. It also adds a great treble extension. The way the wires bundle in the Leonidas Black Edition is significantly different from a normal Leonidas.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back