Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #9,346 of 40,613
With the SP1000SS you are going to get a lot of detail and a lot of upper treble. I found that a copper cable works a bit better than did the silver plated copper cable (for my tastes). You may feel differently, but the SS is pumping out a LOT of detail and the XR can deliver it. If you are still demo'ing see if you can try both cables. I also got a Uni, so can change tone with tips (Comply Isolation's give the best fullness and my new Final Audio silicone E's give the best transparency). Also, I find myself switching from X to R depending on what I'm listening to. Lots of choices when it comes to sound signature. :)

I ordered my XR custom with Ares II cable. I may look into PW No. 5 for a balanced setup. 1960s 2wire copper cable for $1000 is a bit out of my comfort zone atm.
the Zeus XRA I am demoing is also on a Ares II 3.5 cable.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #9,348 of 40,613
I hope the CIEM Spartan IV Adel would sound like the tier of $1K (it actually costs little over $1K though!).
It does, dont worry.
I suggest also getting a cable like the pw audio no5 or the effect audio ares 2+ for ergonomics if u wear glasses

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #9,349 of 40,613
I hope the CIEM Spartan IV Adel would sound like the tier of $1K (it actually costs little over $1K though!).

It does, and its quite amazing. Mine is out for minor fit adjustments, but its very highly resolving, balanced, and I can't wait to get it back.

I found it to be a clear upgrade over my old Jupiters and even preferred them to my U12 (but these had a vastly different tuning). I can't say I've tried too many summit tier IEMs but I can feel like it compete or at least come close.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #9,351 of 40,613
From my reading over the pages, I realized that Deezel has repeated himself a million times about Adel vs Non-Adel version, really appreciate it.

Besides from that, I found that most recommendations for cable pairing for the Zeus-XR are Areas II, PW No.5, Zen, 1960s 2wire and Effect Horus. Any experienced cable roller have more insight/comparison into these cables? Which is warmest among them?

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #9,352 of 40,613
From my reading over the pages, I realized that Deezel has repeated himself a million times about Adel vs Non-Adel version, really appreciate it.

Besides from that, I found that most recommendations for cable pairing for the Zeus-XR are Areas II, PW No.5, Zen, 1960s 2wire and Effect Horus. Any experienced cable roller have more insight/comparison into these cables? Which is warmest among them?
warmest is rhe 1960s 2 wire

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #9,354 of 40,613
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #9,357 of 40,613
I wonder what the new EE model is going to be named. :) There were a lot of good names suggested on the Zeus giveaway thread a few months ago.
It will be Jörmungandr because "Zeus" was too easy to pronounce. :D

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #9,359 of 40,613
It will be Jörmungandr because "Zeus" was too easy to pronounce. :D
To save costs, you will also need to assemble it yourself using a complicated instruction manual :D

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #9,360 of 40,613

From warm to bright:
1960 2-wire > no 5 > Zen > Ares II > Horus

2-wire is a predominantly warm, smooth, natural sound, with a characterstic black background that gives it a romantic, intimate feel. Due to its emphatically warm sound it is not the most versatile, but pairs well with Zeus ADEL to give it warmth down low. PW no 5 has a warm tone with an accurate timbre. It sounds natural, but still provides a clean, articulate, and well-separated sound. Zen is perhaps the most tonally balanced of all, with a lightly warm yet clear and open sound. It has a smooth top-end, but is not overly warm. Works well for both instrument-based as electronic music. Ares II is an interesting mixture of warm, bright, and even somewhat dark sound. It has a lifted mid-bass, providing a warm tone and body to its instruments, with a slight lift in the lower treble, accentuating string instruments for instance. The following mid- to upper-treble is laidback, resulting in a darkish background. As with no 5, it provides an airy stage with good separation. Horus has a neutral tone with a lifted lower treble, and more linear mid- to upper treble. So it sounds more clean and upfront in its micro-detail compared to the other cables, although its timbre is not as natural.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back