Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 31, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #8,896 of 40,613
The last time Jack talked about the full metal wings, he said they were waiting to restock before they put it up on the site. You should have no problems ordering them directly though.
Thanks! Will keep that in mind.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #8,898 of 40,613
Yes indeed, only thing went one better and got meself the 4-wire. Match made in heaven.

I'm personally not a fan of the 4-wire-1960s pairing with the Zeus, because it accentuates the peaks in the Zeus's treble, and causes its upper midrange to take on a rather unnatural tone. But, if you're okay with that and you're looking for improved separation, soundstage expansion, clarity and cleanliness, then yes, the 4-wire 1960s is great. If, however, you'd like to keep both the Zeus's natural tonality AND take its technical performance to extreme heights, I'd hands down take the Han Sound Audio Venom any day of the friggin' week. I haven't posted impressions of that cable yet simply due to how busy I've been with other reviews, but it might well be the best cable I've ever heard. Stay tuned... :wink:

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #8,899 of 40,613
I'd hands down take the Han Sound Audio Venom any day of the friggin' week. I haven't posted impressions of that cable yet simply due to how busy I've been with other reviews, but it might well be the best cable I've ever heard. Stay tuned... :wink:

Better than Horus??

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #8,901 of 40,613
Putting aside its ergonomics and plug implementation, yes, the Venom is - to me - a better-sounding cable than the Horus with the correct pairing.

Interesting....and cheaper too I believe

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #8,902 of 40,613
Interesting....and cheaper too I believe

Yes, but it is important to keep in mind that due to its design, the Venom is considerably heavier, more microphonic, and stiff. You're also required to have a player with both single-ended and balanced outputs, because the Venom uses the SE out as a ground. Either that, or a bunch of adapters at your disposal for different players.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #8,903 of 40,613
Yes, but it is important to keep in mind that due to its design, the Venom is considerably heavier, more microphonic, and stiff. You're also required to have a player with both single-ended and balanced outputs, because the Venom uses the SE out as a ground. Either that, or a bunch of adapters at your disposal for different players.

I see....even if I'm using 4.4mm, does it still require the SE output as a ground? Coz I just saw on MS website that if using 4.4mm, shielding will be connected to 5th pole

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #8,904 of 40,613
I see....even if I'm using 4.4mm, does it still require the SE output as a ground? Coz I just saw on MS website that if using 4.4mm, shielding will be connected to 5th pole

This is an example of the adapter case. With Pentaconn connectors, you'll only be plugging it into the balanced 4.4mm jack, but you'll need a Y-adapter that converts the Venom's 3.5mm + 2.5mm combo jack into a single 4.4mm one.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #8,905 of 40,613
This is an example of the adapter case. With Pentaconn connectors, you'll only be plugging it into the balanced 4.4mm jack, but you'll need a Y-adapter that converts the Venom's 3.5mm + 2.5mm combo jack into a single 4.4mm one.

That's not my understanding from MS website, it's as if you don't need any adapter for 4.4mm since the ground can be connected to the 5th pole, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, really look forward to your impression of Venom :slight_smile:

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #8,906 of 40,613
Putting aside its ergonomics and plug implementation, yes, the Venom is - to me - a better-sounding cable than the Horus with the correct pairing.
One of my favorite cables with the Zeus is the Ares II as it really seems to smooth out what I consider to be the rough spots in the signature and it wont break the bank.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #8,907 of 40,613
That's not my understanding from MS website, it's as if you don't need any adapter for 4.4mm since the ground can be connected to the 5th pole, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, really look forward to your impression of Venom :slight_smile:

Oh, my apologies, you're talking about directly terminating the wire in a 4.4mm configuration. Yes, that would be the case. :D

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #8,908 of 40,613
I'm personally not a fan of the 4-wire-1960s pairing with the Zeus, because it accentuates the peaks in the Zeus's treble, and causes its upper midrange to take on a rather unnatural tone. But, if you're okay with that and you're looking for improved separation, soundstage expansion, clarity and cleanliness, then yes, the 4-wire 1960s is great. If, however, you'd like to keep both the Zeus's natural tonality AND take its technical performance to extreme heights, I'd hands down take the Han Sound Audio Venom any day of the friggin' week. I haven't posted impressions of that cable yet simply due to how busy I've been with other reviews, but it might well be the best cable I've ever heard. Stay tuned... :wink:

this is very intriguing, need to check out this cable - any comparisons with the pwaudio no5 cable ?

also everyone here says that the 2-wire 1960s is a better match for Zeus than the 4-wire (plus it's 1000$ cheaper , so double win there)

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #8,909 of 40,613
this is very intriguing, need to check out this cable - any comparisons with the pwaudio no5 cable ?

also everyone here says that the 2-wire 1960s is a better match for Zeus than the 4-wire (plus it's 1000$ cheaper , so double win there)

Unfortunately not; you'll have to wait for my next MS visit for that comparison, which would be mid-December. :D

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #8,910 of 40,613
nvm, i just saw that han cable costs like 1200 euros so yeah i'll pass - clearly out of my budget

zeus XR sounds mighty fine with my trusty ol' whiplash hybrid v3 cable (and i also have NT6+pwaudio no5 for when outside)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back