Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 21, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #8,551 of 40,591
well pw5 sounds already very nice with my NT6 so i will simply listen to it and let it burn-in

will probably turn all my cables into 4.4 too

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #8,552 of 40,591
I definitely lose patience with burn in periods that long I thought burning Dita Dream was going to kill me. However the payoff was so good.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #8,555 of 40,591
well my pw audio no5 4.4 cable will be going back to MS as it is apparently a faulty one and i will need to have it replaced

the good thing about zeus though is that it sounds great even in SE , great synergy with wm1a and zero hiss mind you

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #8,556 of 40,591
the good thing about zeus though is that it sounds great even in SE , great synergy with wm1a and zero hiss mind you
I will ignore this...
I am not looking...
I haven't read this...
Resist temptation....
giphy.gif

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #8,557 of 40,591
I will ignore this...
I am not looking...
I haven't read this...
Resist temptation....
giphy.gif

axaxxaaxxaaxaax man your gifs are amazing , keep them coming (and save up for something like zeus XR , you know you want it)

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #8,558 of 40,591
axaxxaaxxaaxaax man your gifs are amazing , keep them coming (and save up for something like zeus XR , you know you want it)
Humor is the best medication in the world and I swear by it! :D

After having used the U6 for a bit and learned of the benefits of APEX/ADEL, I think I will soon need to send a message to Jack enquiring about the Athena ADEL. I am curious to see if they can make the stem of the CIEMs a bit shorter, or otherwise I will have a look at what the universal fit is like. It is a bit annoying because I love using IEMs, but I seem to have both pneumatic pressure issues as well as physical pressure issues when (C)IEMs go quite deep. Very frustrating, especially because I rely on them so much for my ADHD.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8,559 of 40,591
Humor is the best medication in the world and I swear by it! :D

After having used the U6 for a bit and learned of the benefits of APEX/ADEL, I think I will soon need to send a message to Jack enquiring about the Athena ADEL. I am curious to see if they can make the stem of the CIEMs a bit shorter, or otherwise I will have a look at what the universal fit is like. It is a bit annoying because I love using IEMs, but I seem to have both pneumatic pressure issues as well as physical pressure issues when (C)IEMs go quite deep. Very frustrating, especially because I rely on them so much for my ADHD.

save up , go for zeus XR and be done (for a while at least , you know how this hobby is)

seriously though unless you are extra loaded with cash , XR is a life-saver as you get 2 great signatures/ciems in one shell

i was up until 5 am yesterday listening to music , i don't know what will happen when my 4.4 cables come

btw when i am home zeus XR takes all the listening time , NT6 is now used only for outdoor use only as i am not taking zeus out in the jungle (as axl rose once said)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,560 of 40,591
save up , go for zeus XR and be done (for a while at least , you know how this hobby is)

seriously though unless you are extra loaded with cash , XR is a life-saver as you get 2 great signatures/ciems in one shell

i was up until 5 am yesterday listening to music , i don't know what will happen when my 4.4 cables come

btw when i am home zeus XR takes all the listening time , NT6 is now used only for outdoor use only as i am not taking zeus out in the jungle (as axl rose once said)
I wish the Zeus XRA were an option, but they are well beyond my projected (puppy) budget. :wink:

Did send @Jack Vang a message earlier today and will see what he says. I think that because I want ADEL the Athena will work very well, especially when paired with a good cable. (I have become quite addicted to cables and can't wait to review the Eros II next week! :D )

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #8,561 of 40,591
I wish the Zeus XRA were an option, but they are well beyond my projected (puppy) budget. :wink:

Did send @Jack Vang a message earlier today and will see what he says. I think that because I want ADEL the Athena will work very well, especially when paired with a good cable. (I have become quite addicted to cables and can't wait to review the Eros II next week! :D )
I don't think you absolutely need the "best".
Just take what you can afford and still live comfortably with. (also if you are married or have a significant other and wish to stay married)

But honestly I think you will be completely fine with price of Athena and what you get out of her. Jackpot told me they listened to one version of Zeus, and felt it wasn't a huge jump, it's just subtle differences.

Besides, a new flagship is probably coming out soon for Empire Ears.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #8,562 of 40,591
A new flagship? lOL...I just lost my Noble's, DAC adn cords on an airplane and they are gone. I have MS and deal with cognitive issues and have lost a couple of nice IEM's so far, but it's the only way for me to travel as I need my music. I am a 2 channel guy with Vandersteen Quatro's and top end Ayre gear. My home headphone system is an Ayre QX5/20 with ZMF Ori's. I could possibly sell them for what I paid if the CIEM's were close. Either way I need a new pair. I was talking with a guy Nic in PM's. I didn't realize that he was the reviewer for so many of these high end CIEM's, lol. I trust him, especially after reading his reviews and how he does it. He's been the best reading for me to start to understand this portable world. I have to thank him for that.

I'm on this thread as the Zeus IV came in 2nd in his reviews and it's the sound signature I'd love to get if I can afford them. It's the MOST I'd be able to spend on CIEM's as I need a new DAP or DAC./amp as I left my Audioquest Red. I called and spoke with DJ about Apollo's and Spartans. I can afford either of them. It's so hard to buy at this price range without listening. I have been active in 2 channel for years and years. I have auditioned so much gear and always keep up on things and am the one who helps others whittle things down. Shoes on the other foot for me now. I am open to anyone's CIEM's, but I'm intrigued by EE my first contact with DJ was so positive and honest that I am focusing on them right now. I need it all in a CIEM. I have thought about what's most important. .....

Sound stage
tonality
imaging
strong, realistic, tight bass (or flabby if that's what's on the recording)
Jazz, Rock, vocals are 90% of what I listen to.

NO FATIGUING is very important too. Vandersteen's are time and phase correct. I hate smearing in music. I hear it in so much of hte high end 2 channel gear and it upsets me. I also get upset with speaker companies who tip up the treble 1-4db like Magico, Wilson and B&W (sorry if you own them, but for ME and my ear it just is fatiguing)

I won't have a shot at hearing any of these models, but would love to know what some of you feel about what models you'd purchase if you could only afford up to the 2100 of the Zeus. Keep in mind that it's not even close to my main listening and I'll use either my iPhone 6s Plus with Audioquest Red (or other DAC as I'm open) or a Fiio 7mk2 or Onkyo/Pioneer as I'd love to use balance mode if I was able to. I havce a ton of High res recordings on my server that are mostly 24/192 and all are well recorded (server adn music was used for a few years at shows for some major manufacturer's so it has to be well recorded.

If this is the wrong thread for these questions, please let me know. Feel free to link any reviews you guys have on your suggestions. Thanks.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #8,563 of 40,591
A new flagship? lOL...I just lost my Noble's, DAC adn cords on an airplane and they are gone. I have MS and deal with cognitive issues and have lost a couple of nice IEM's so far, but it's the only way for me to travel as I need my music. I am a 2 channel guy with Vandersteen Quatro's and top end Ayre gear. My home headphone system is an Ayre QX5/20 with ZMF Ori's. I could possibly sell them for what I paid if the CIEM's were close. Either way I need a new pair. I was talking with a guy Nic in PM's. I didn't realize that he was the reviewer for so many of these high end CIEM's, lol. I trust him, especially after reading his reviews and how he does it. He's been the best reading for me to start to understand this portable world. I have to thank him for that.

I'm on this thread as the Zeus IV came in 2nd in his reviews and it's the sound signature I'd love to get if I can afford them. It's the MOST I'd be able to spend on CIEM's as I need a new DAP or DAC./amp as I left my Audioquest Red. I called and spoke with DJ about Apollo's and Spartans. I can afford either of them. It's so hard to buy at this price range without listening. I have been active in 2 channel for years and years. I have auditioned so much gear and always keep up on things and am the one who helps others whittle things down. Shoes on the other foot for me now. I am open to anyone's CIEM's, but I'm intrigued by EE my first contact with DJ was so positive and honest that I am focusing on them right now. I need it all in a CIEM. I have thought about what's most important. .....

Sound stage
tonality
imaging

NO FATIGUING is very important too. Vandersteen's are time and phase correct. I hate smearing in music. I hear it in so much of hte high end 2 channel gear and it upsets me. I also get upset with speaker companies who tip up the treble 1-4db like Magico, Wilson and B&W (sorry if you own them, but for ME and my ear it just is fatiguing)

I won't have a shot at hearing any of these models, but would love to know what some of you feel about what models you'd purchase if you could only afford up to the 2100 of the Zeus. Keep in mind that it's not even close to my main listening and I'll use either my iPhone 6s Plus with Audioquest Red (or other DAC as I'm open) or a Fiio 7mk2 or Onkyo/Pioneer as I'd love to use balance mode if I was able to. I havce a ton of High res recordings on my server that are mostly 24/192 and all are well recorded (server adn music was used for a few years at shows for some major manufacturer's so it has to be well recorded.

If this is the wrong thread for these questions, please let me know. Feel free to link any reviews you guys have on your suggestions. Thanks.
I honestly think you if you want to get either of those CIEMs, they should run well on an iPhone 6S tbh, I don't think you even need a dap unless for storage space like SD Cards.

I haven't heard any of those three. But hopefully others can help!

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #8,564 of 40,591
I don't think you absolutely need the "best".
Just take what you can afford and still live comfortably with. (also if you are married or have a significant other and wish to stay married)

But honestly I think you will be completely fine with price of Athena and what you get out of her. Jackpot told me they listened to one version of Zeus, and felt it wasn't a huge jump, it's just subtle differences.

Besides, a new flagship is probably coming out soon for Empire Ears.

Empire will not be releasing any new flagships anytime soon, and I say this with 95% confidence. Their future products will most likely consist of mid-tier products, with either the Savage 9 or the Proto-X becoming the priciest of the new arrivals.

Sound stage
tonality
imaging

I haven't heard the Apollo in ages, but the few who have claim it has the second-best soundstage throughout the entirety of EE's line-up, with the top dog being the Zeus. The Spartan will pretty much tick all your other boxes, even if its vocal presentation won't be as engaging or powerful as the Zeus's. I would recommend the Athena, but if smearing is a big no-no, then I would count it out. Another IEM worth checking out is the VE8 for your case, but in Singapore, that IEM costs more than the Zeus, so the Spartan (or even the Effect Audio x EE collaboration, Merlin, based on the Spartan) would be your most ideal choice. If you need further impressions of any of these IEMs, please let me know; I'll be more than happy to help :D

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #8,565 of 40,591
Empire will not be releasing any new flagships anytime soon, and I say this with 95% confidence. Their future products will most likely consist of mid-tier products, with either the Savage 9 or the Proto-X becoming the priciest of the new arrivals.

I haven't heard the Apollo in ages, but the few who have claim it has the second-best soundstage throughout the entirety of EE's line-up, with the top dog being the Zeus. The Spartan will pretty much tick all your other boxes, even if its vocal presentation won't be as engaging or powerful as the Zeus's. I would recommend the Athena, but if smearing is a big no-no, then I would count it out. Another IEM worth checking out is the VE8 for your case, but in Singapore, that IEM costs more than the Zeus, so the Spartan (or even the Effect Audio x EE collaboration, Merlin, based on the Spartan) would be your most ideal choice. If you need further impressions of any of these IEMs, please let me know; I'll be more than happy to help :D
ah ok! Well that's good then. That means any of the EE lineup is good to pick.

Plus it's good to hear more on spartan, Also I read up pinkypower's review on Spartan, it sounds like a really promising IEM I would like.

Hey Deezel, can I also ask for your impressions on Athena?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back