Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 21, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #8,253 of 40,577
The Zeus XR eagle has landed :L3000:

I just put them in my eager ears - first impressions to follow soon, i am pairing them with a Whiplash Twag V3 cable (8-con) and the Sony ZX2 in TRRS (ppseudo-balanced mode)

also the fit is very good (and much deeper than my athenas as i requested) so we are one headache less

Great job @Jack Vang , again thanx for everything , i owe you big time :beerchug:

one question (although i should probably be able to tell by the sound differences) - which switch position is the XIV and which is the R ?

second question - what type of cables you pair your Zeus XR with ?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #8,254 of 40,577

I just put them in my eager ears - first impressions to follow soon, i am pairing them with a Whiplash Twag V3 cable (8-con) and the Sony ZX2 in TRRS (ppseudo-balanced mode)

also the fit is very good (and much deeper than my athenas as i requested) so we are one headache less

Great job @Jack Vang , again thanx for everything , i owe you big time :beerchug:

one question (although i should probably be able to tell by the sound differences) - which switch position is the XIV and which is the R ?

1 - down is XIV, up is R
2 - flipping between Effect Audio Ares II+ and their Leonidas. Pretty sure I'm going to settle on the Ares II+

Hope you enjoy them - awesome set of IEMs!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #8,255 of 40,577

Where are the customary first impression photos?! :D

1) What @Jackpot77 said.
2) Effect Audio Lionheart, but a 2-wire 1960s may or may not be coming within the next month :wink:

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #8,256 of 40,577
will try to upload some pics later, but the artwork is nothing extraordinary, just an ordinary tranluscent smoke shell done wonderfully by jack&co - i am a person who focuses into sound only

i will also have the sony wm1a tomorrow , very curious how it will sound as well

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #8,257 of 40,577
For cables, PW no 5 gives a warm lush sound or 1960 2 wires for a full, uniquely textured organic sound. The 1960 4 wires can be too transparent that it sounds piercing sharp sometimes.
Personally I use hansound redcore which sounds clean, fast and extended.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #8,259 of 40,577
I have the Zeus XRA with red module, and whenever there is wind, the CIEM are unusable as the winds blows into the ears and I don't hear the music. Is there any solution to this problem ?

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #8,260 of 40,577
I have the Zeus XRA with red module, and whenever there is wind, the CIEM are unusable as the winds blows into the ears and I don't hear the music. Is there any solution to this problem ?

The only solution I can think of would be to use 64Audio's apex modules. Their exhaust ports are on the bottom of the module, so wind noise is greatly reduced.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #8,261 of 40,577
Seems to be the day for getting ciems. My Cerberus landed this morning as well. Not had any sort of chance to listen to them, just put them in my ears. Quick and nasty photos below :-

Who let the dog out?

Thanks Jack and the team again.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,262 of 40,577
First/Intiial listening impressions from my first day with Zeus XR (1 hour of use so far)

It is as good as i expected and i am happy with what i am hearing - i still need more time to see which cable(s) works best and pinpoint the sonic differences between the 2 options (XIV/R) although i can tell some already , great to have 2 sonic signatures in one shell

also very anxious to get my sony WM1A tomorrow , as it should also be an improvement/upgrade over my ZX2 (or at least this is the feedback i got from people who owned both zx2 and wm1a)

i also have a thirst to try IDSD Micro Black Label again , as i have a gut feeluing that Zeus likes good sources and scales very well with superior sources

this is TOTL ciem , no doubt about it - i really like what i am hearing and i can stay put for now

Great job @Jack Vang , the land of Zeus salutes you

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #8,263 of 40,577
First/Intiial listening impressions from my first day with Zeus XR (1 hour of use so far)

It is as good as i expected and i am happy with what i am hearing - i still need more time to see which cable(s) works best and pinpoint the sonic differences between the 2 options (XIV/R) although i can tell some already , great to have 2 sonic signatures in one shell

also very anxious to get my sony WM1A tomorrow , as it should also be an improvement/upgrade over my ZX2 (or at least this is the feedback i got from people who owned both zx2 and wm1a)

i also have a thirst to try IDSD Micro Black Label again , as i have a gut feeluing that Zeus likes good sources and scales very well with superior sources

this is TOTL ciem , no doubt about it - i really like what i am hearing and i can stay put for now

You from the land of Zeus, why not get Zeus himself to sing in your ears instead, that would be awesome, congrats with your Zeus CIEM:ksc75smile:

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #8,264 of 40,577
well this is summer and all Greek islands are packed with young and sexy women from all over the world - so zeus is busy there , singing to them along with Dionysus and Apollo

thankfully we have Jack to fill the void :darthsmile:

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #8,265 of 40,577
Seems to be the day for getting ciems. My Cerberus landed this morning as well. Not had any sort of chance to listen to them, just put them in my ears. Quick and nasty photos below :-

Who let the dog out?

Thanks Jack and the team again.

I see you've gone with the classic EarWerkz-style faceplate, nice! Would love to hear impressions of the Cerberus, it's probably one of the least prominent IEMs in the Olympus line-up but I reckon it's a pretty underrated gem. Enjoy! :D

The funny thing about the Zeus is that it's an absolutely fantastic IEM, and what I would call a mostly "correct" IEM, that doesn't really wow you at first listen. Unlike IEMs like the A18 or the Aether that strike you at the very first note and don't really get significantly better from there, it takes a few tracks and comparisons with other IEMs to truly appreciate it and grasp how brilliantly it does, well, mostly everything pretty much. It just sounds... right, and sometimes that's something you can easily take for granted.

At the end of the day, what I'm saying is, you still have quite a ways to go, and if you like the Zeus now, it's not gonna take long for you to absolutely love it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back