Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #8,221 of 40,559
I've seen the DX200 referenced a few times in this thread and plan to order one today. Any additional input regarding hiss when paired with Zeus? Balance vs SE? I need a DAP that supports Tidal and this appears to be the best option and the price is more than reasonable when compared to the competition. That said, I really do not want to end up with a level of hiss I can not tolerate. I listen to a lot of classical which can amplify hiss at times. Within reason I'm not overly concerned about price. SQ and Tidal support are the priorities but I don't think I can stomach dishing out $3,500 for the SP1000. I think I've research all of the contenders but am open to suggestions.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #8,222 of 40,559
I've seen the DX200 referenced a few times in this thread and plan to order one today. Any additional input regarding hiss when paired with Zeus? Balance vs SE? I need a DAP that supports Tidal and this appears to be the best option and the price is more than reasonable when compared to the competition. That said, I really do not want to end up with a level of hiss I can not tolerate. I listen to a lot of classical which can amplify hiss at times. Within reason I'm not overly concerned about price. SQ and Tidal support are the priorities but I don't think I can stomach dishing out $3,500 for the SP1000. I think I've research all of the contenders but am open to suggestions.

https://twister6.com/2017/03/10/ibasso-dx200/3/

https://twister6.com/2017/05/27/ibasso-amp2-module-for-dx200/

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #8,223 of 40,559
Thanks EagleWings. The Twister6 review is one of the reasons this DAP is high on my list but I was hoping for detail beyond "noticeable hissing". That could mean it's unbearable and a huge distraction or the background is not completely black. I assume it's some where in between but would like perspective from others. I did not read the amp 2 review since I was not interested in that module being SE only (I believe).

"Zeus XRA (14BA) – a very expanded soundstage (in all 3 dimensions). The sound is neutral, revealing, transparent, leaning more toward analytical quality and yet still having some degree of musical smoothness. Even so bass is close to neutral, it still packs a nice punch and a quality sub-bass rumble. Neutral revealing mids, and well controlled treble sparkle. Noticeable hissing."

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #8,224 of 40,559
P_20170818_142613.jpg

:)

What player is that btw?

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #8,225 of 40,559
Thanks EagleWings. The Twister6 review is one of the reasons this DAP is high on my list but I was hoping for detail beyond "noticeable hissing". That could mean it's unbearable and a huge distraction or the background is not completely black. I assume it's some where in between but would like perspective from others. I did not read the amp 2 review since I was not interested in that module being SE only (I believe).

"Zeus XRA (14BA) – a very expanded soundstage (in all 3 dimensions). The sound is neutral, revealing, transparent, leaning more toward analytical quality and yet still having some degree of musical smoothness. Even so bass is close to neutral, it still packs a nice punch and a quality sub-bass rumble. Neutral revealing mids, and well controlled treble sparkle. Noticeable hissing."

Something tells me that you would take the leap and buy the SP1000 eventually. :)

Btw, Cowon Plenue S has been reported to have very little hiss and pairs well with the Zeus if you are looking for something in the $1000-$1500 range.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #8,226 of 40,559
according to @Cagin , sony wm1a has zero hiss with zeus

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #8,227 of 40,559
Ah yes. The Sony DAPs too. I tested the Zeus with 1Z on Single Ended and there was just a very feeble hiss.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #8,228 of 40,559

no hissing, as in almost dead quiet, mild hissing as in not as noticeable when music is playing though you can still hear it during playback when volume is down to zero, and noticeable hissing which is audible in quieter passages of the song and in general adds some audible background noise floor during the playback.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #8,229 of 40,559
no hissing, as in almost dead quiet, mild hissing as in not as noticeable when music is playing though you can still hear it during playback when volume is down to zero, and noticeable hissing which is audible in quieter passages of the song and in general adds some audible background noise floor during the playback.
Well that kills the DX200 for me but I'd rather know now then later. Thank you.

EagleWings - Cowon Plenue S does not support Tidal which is a must. I have some local hi-res files but am highly dependent on Tidal (and love it). Regarding the SP1000, I'm on my mac 80% of the time paired w/ Hugo 2 or Woo WA8. I wouldn't do the SP1000 justice using it purely as a fully mobile set up and not using it as a DAC too. I don't really need a DAP, but want one. My iPhone SE and Mojo do well but I'm tired of cables (but not so tired I'm willing to drop $3,500).

Proedros - Good call on the Sony. That is a solid DAP which I bought and returned from Amazon for my Androemedas a while back. It was a strong pairing with the Andos but I later found I was trying to force the Andros to work for me. They're good IEM's, just not my preferred signature. I may look at Sony again for Zeus.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #8,230 of 40,559
Well that kills the DX200 for me but I'd rather know now then later. Thank you.

EagleWings - Cowon Plenue S does not support Tidal which is a must. I have some local hi-res files but am highly dependent on Tidal (and love it). Regarding the SP1000, I'm on my mac 80% of the time paired w/ Hugo 2 or Woo WA8. I wouldn't do the SP1000 justice using it purely as a fully mobile set up and not using it as a DAC too. I don't really need a DAP, but want one. My iPhone SE and Mojo do well but I'm tired of cables (but not so tired I'm willing to drop $3,500).

Proedros - Good call on the Sony. That is a solid DAP which I bought and returned from Amazon for my Androemedas a while back. It was a strong pairing with the Andos but I later found I was trying to force the Andros to work for me. They're good IEM's, just not my preferred signature. I may look at Sony again for Zeus.

Too bad streaming is one of your main requirements, otherwise I would also recommend Plenue 2. Btw, if Tidal is high up on your list, why not look at A&K daps? Those support Tidal and usually are very quiet with Zeus. You can get used AK120ii probably around $500 (based on feedback from @PinkyPowers :wink:).

Oh, and totally forgot - look into Opus#3, it supports side-loading of apk files so you can stream, and it's quiet with Zeus XRA.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #8,231 of 40,559
Too bad streaming is one of your main requirements, otherwise I would also recommend Plenue 2. Btw, if Tidal is high up on your list, why not look at A&K daps? Those support Tidal and usually are very quiet with Zeus. You can get used AK120ii probably around $500 (based on feedback from @PinkyPowers :wink:).

Oh, and totally forgot - look into Opus#3, it supports side-loading of apk files so you can stream, and it's quiet with Zeus XRA.
Thanks. I read your review of the Opus 3 a while back but did not recall a streaming option, side load or not. I'll re-read it.

Regarding the entry to mid A&K's, I guess the DAP space is interesting right now. You can get a DX200 with dual higher end DAC chips without spending much more than you would for a single chip DAP from A&K which makes them seem less appealing. I also get that their are compromises you have to make when going truly mobile but I am loving the Hugo 2 and want my mobile solution to be in the same ballpark at least.

(sent you a PM on a related topic a few mins ago)

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #8,233 of 40,559
Just to let you all know we're doing another giveaway and this time it's for a custom Zeus-XIV! It will be only for Facebook and Instagram users. If anyone's interested here's the rules:

20882606_1975970915973453_6436048476736363297_n_zpsnmwo0zdi.jpg

1. Like this post and our page!
Facebook.com/EmpireEars
Instagram.com/EmpireEars
2. Upload a selfie with your current in-ears (and/or gear), tag 3 friends, and tell us why you need Zeus-XIV in your life with the hashtag #EmpireEarsGiveaway
3. Fingers crossed! We'll randomly select a winner via Riffle Raffle on 9/15/17!

The winner will receive one pair of custom molded Zeus-XIV in-ear monitors! All customizations on us!

Good luck! =)

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #8,234 of 40,559
Just to let you all know we're doing another giveaway and this time it's for a custom Zeus-XIV! It will be only for Facebook and Instagram users. If anyone's interested here's the rules:

20882606_1975970915973453_6436048476736363297_n_zpsnmwo0zdi.jpg

1. Like this post and our page!
Facebook.com/EmpireEars
Instagram.com/EmpireEars
2. Upload a selfie with your current in-ears (and/or gear), tag 3 friends, and tell us why you need Zeus-XIV in your life with the hashtag #EmpireEarsGiveaway
3. Fingers crossed! We'll randomly select a winner via Riffle Raffle on 9/15/17!

The winner will receive one pair of custom molded Zeus-XIV in-ear monitors! All customizations on us!

Good luck! =)

Oh dear....its one of those times again eh. :wink:

Fingers crossed I might win this time~ (As if I have any luck on lottery in the first place xD)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #8,235 of 40,559
not gonna enroll as i should have my custom Zeus XR on Monday , but kudos for the gesture

and congrats for Zeus XIV comng 2nd in @flinkenick 's TOTL shootout , a well deserved accolade

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back