Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #6,721 of 40,582

Appreciate your opinion, but mine differs (other than the price as it is damn expensive). With my chain of 380+amp and pw audio 1960's cable and Zeus XR Adel the Zeus is very musical and engaging, I would not call it analytical, especially on the X setting. It is plenty versatile across genres also.

I have not heard the Solar though.

I have the similar set except for the cable. Really need comparison between pwa 1960's and TOTL effect audio cable.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6,723 of 40,582
Mar 12, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #6,725 of 40,582
Ok so let's say I'm back after a hiatus :rolling_eyes:.

So attended canjam totally unprepared. Was only armed with my trusty iPhone 6s Plus with crappy Spotify. Well who cares if the source is bad right :smiling_imp:. A great IEM can still be heard and recognised easily albeit terrible source :yum:. Had a mojo but it's battery was dead so it stays in the bag.

So finally had the chance to meet jack! Was a fan of his since earwerkz! Supra to legend to Zeus! His sound signature always leaves a longing impression on me. As some might know I love female vocals and my music preference and taste mainly focus on beautiful thick lush and enveloping mids. That explains the conversion of legend to zeus.

Obviously, after jack told me that he had new models of his to try I immediately made plans to attend the show to try the new items and obviously to shake his hands hahaha, ( told ya'll I'm a fanboy lol).

Ok so I started out with the prototype X.

This iem is rather similar to how Zeus sounds like. Beautiful forward mids and sparkling yet controlled treble. However, the standout to this model is its BASSSSSSSSS!!! The bass is like wow! Low hitting and sub bass rumbles like a dynamic driver. The bass notes are thick with deliciously timed decay. It's hits with precision and oh so beautiful rumble. I have not heard Such bass from any of jacks line yet. For those who heard omega which technically was supposed to have seriously good bass, the new prototype X bass is another level, trust me haha.

The second difference on the prototype X is that it's soundstage is vastly different from Zeus. It's definelty gotten warmer to produce that Low sub rumble and hence its alittle narrower as compared to zeus. However, it seems that the depth of the soundstage has improved to accommodate the lower bass hits. Warm but not too congested.

Now, obviously with electronics, the addition of something will always require a compromise. So in the case of the prototype X the obvious difference between it and the Zeus is the reduction in clarity in the mids. Vocals sounds less razor clean. I would say female vocals lost the sharp razor accuracy of the Zeus. It's still damn right awesome sounding but you sorta lost the dreamy raspy and natural vocals that was so yummy and captivating in zeus. However, guitar riffs and all is still beautiful, just that I felt the female vocals took a slight hit.

As spoken with jack, this prototype is only 70% ready so can't wait to see what improvements he will make to it!

Oh a point to add, the prototype does not contain the adel module, so we can only dream :drooling_face:.

Moving on to the next model, it is named Prototype H.

This iem is tuned to be very different from Zeus. It's bass is fuller and harder hitting but yet does not have that Low rumble that the prototype x had. However, it's mids were impressively clean and the sound is definelty more musical thick and lush. It sorts of immerse you within the notes. Very very musical and enjoyable. I can foresee this model to appeal to most new comers who just want a all rounder yet awesome sounding iem.

However, the negative point of this model was that it's treble is a little way more aggressive that I would have liked. I suffered from some ear ache due to sibilance. Take note that I am seriously affected by sibilance lol. I could not handle w500 or w900 from the AAW series due to painful sibilance hahaha. But all said, I was still very impressed by this prototype.

Take note that all of my sound impression was taken via listening through iphone on Spotify. I'm kinda embarrassed that I had to use Spotify but the entire demo experience of the new empire ears prototype still sounded great to me.

Can't wait for the full release which I heard is coming soon!!

Great job jack and all!!!

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #6,726 of 40,582
Quick comparison between adel and apex
Shout out to Vlad of 64audio for providing me with the m15 module free of charge.
Imo, I feel that the apex modules are superior in sq and technical capabilities.the adel modules make u lose too much microdetailing. I only noticed this when I was switching between the m15 and b1 modules. However,I feel that the adel modules are better at relieving fatigue. This is not to say that the apex modules do not relieve fatigue but the adel modules just do a better job.
Comparisons
B1 Vs m15
M15 has wider soundsatge ,clearer bass, better microdetailing and better isolation
Less bass than the m20, s1, g1 modules.
S1 Vs m20
Much wider sound stage, better bass and microdetailing. Better isolation too. Reflects what is supposed to be the original tuning of the iem.
G1 Vs m20
G1 has better punch and rumble but m20 has tighter bass. G1 is airier but m20 has wider soundstage
Overall, I feel that the modules are complementary to each other, with the apex modules offering better isolation and sq for outdoor listening / monitoring but the adel is better for relaxed listening/ listening indoors. The only thing left for 64 to do is to replicate the effect of the g1 module and we r all set to go

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #6,727 of 40,582
Ok so let's say I'm back after a hiatus :rolling_eyes:.

So attended canjam totally unprepared. Was only armed with my trusty iPhone 6s Plus with crappy Spotify. Well who cares if the source is bad right :smiling_imp:. A great IEM can still be heard and recognised easily albeit terrible source :yum:. Had a mojo but it's battery was dead so it stays in the bag.

So finally had the chance to meet jack! Was a fan of his since earwerkz! Supra to legend to Zeus! His sound signature always leaves a longing impression on me. As some might know I love female vocals and my music preference and taste mainly focus on beautiful thick lush and enveloping mids. That explains the conversion of legend to zeus.

Obviously, after jack told me that he had new models of his to try I immediately made plans to attend the show to try the new items and obviously to shake his hands hahaha, ( told ya'll I'm a fanboy lol).

Ok so I started out with the prototype X.

This iem is rather similar to how Zeus sounds like. Beautiful forward mids and sparkling yet controlled treble. However, the standout to this model is its BASSSSSSSSS!!! The bass is like wow! Low hitting and sub bass rumbles like a dynamic driver. The bass notes are thick with deliciously timed decay. It's hits with precision and oh so beautiful rumble. I have not heard Such bass from any of jacks line yet. For those who heard omega which technically was supposed to have seriously good bass, the new prototype X bass is another level, trust me haha.

The second difference on the prototype X is that it's soundstage is vastly different from Zeus. It's definelty gotten warmer to produce that Low sub rumble and hence its alittle narrower as compared to zeus. However, it seems that the depth of the soundstage has improved to accommodate the lower bass hits. Warm but not too congested.

Now, obviously with electronics, the addition of something will always require a compromise. So in the case of the prototype X the obvious difference between it and the Zeus is the reduction in clarity in the mids. Vocals sounds less razor clean. I would say female vocals lost the sharp razor accuracy of the Zeus. It's still damn right awesome sounding but you sorta lost the dreamy raspy and natural vocals that was so yummy and captivating in zeus. However, guitar riffs and all is still beautiful, just that I felt the female vocals took a slight hit.

As spoken with jack, this prototype is only 70% ready so can't wait to see what improvements he will make to it!

Oh a point to add, the prototype does not contain the adel module, so we can only dream :drooling_face:.

Moving on to the next model, it is named Prototype H.

This iem is tuned to be very different from Zeus. It's bass is fuller and harder hitting but yet does not have that Low rumble that the prototype x had. However, it's mids were impressively clean and the sound is definelty more musical thick and lush. It sorts of immerse you within the notes. Very very musical and enjoyable. I can foresee this model to appeal to most new comers who just want a all rounder yet awesome sounding iem.

However, the negative point of this model was that it's treble is a little way more aggressive that I would have liked. I suffered from some ear ache due to sibilance. Take note that I am seriously affected by sibilance lol. I could not handle w500 or w900 from the AAW series due to painful sibilance hahaha. But all said, I was still very impressed by this prototype.

Take note that all of my sound impression was taken via listening through iphone on Spotify. I'm kinda embarrassed that I had to use Spotify but the entire demo experience of the new empire ears prototype still sounded great to me.

Can't wait for the full release which I heard is coming soon!!

Great job jack and all!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with your findings. I have the w500 ahmorph but do not find it sibilant. I feel that the proto H treble was much more aggressive. It's really good in the rest of the aspects tho

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #6,728 of 40,582
  In which direction the Athena differs from Zeus?

Here is an excerpt from my Athena Review comparing the Zeus ADEL in both VII and R configurations to the Athena ADEL:

ZEUS XRA

All comparisons done with MAM fully open with stock cable on both IEMs.

Zeus-Reference

The Zeus-R ADEL is much brighter than the Athena ADEL. The mids are less forward and there is significantly less bass. It is also less warm than the Athena ADEL. The Zeus-R is more resolving and as such, there is more details.

The treble is much clearer but less tamed than the Athena. There is much more sparkle and details. The mids are not as smooth as the mids on the Athena ADEL, but they are more natural sounding and transparent than the warmer sounding Athena. There is less slam and authority in the bass and rumble in the sub-bass. Soundstage on the Zeus is slightly more open than the Athena.

Zeus-XIV

The Zeus-XIV ADEL is still brighter than the Athena, however now, the mids are elevated and the bass has more authority. The Athena ADEL is still warmer sounding than the Zeus-XIV and there is more bass on the Athena.

The treble is identical to that of the Zeus-R. However, the mids are more forward and smoother but is not as warm and sweet-sounding than the Athena. Vocals on the Athena are more prominent and sweet. Bass still does not has as much authority than the Athena and the sub-bass still has less rumble. The bass is more controlled on the Zeus and is tighter.

I hope this helps!

Here are some impressions from CanJam!

Proto H

The thing that hits me the most on Proto H is how deep and well developed the bass impact and decay is. Rumble and texture is very well articulated. Mids were sweet and forward sounding. I did find the treble to be a little harsh but and uncontrolled. The overall sound signature is very rich and full, similar to the Savage series and the Athena.

Proto X

One of the IEMs of the whole show that impressed me the most. These have a massive soundstage and is very 3D. Bass has authority and rumble, the mids are full and very rich, the treble extends very well but is not sibilant, overall a very versatile and well rounded sound. It has a very natural tonality and while it is not of a reference tuning, it is very well balanced with the treble, mids and bass all complementing each other. Very impressive indeed.

I got to talk to Jack and Dean and I have to say that they are people who are very passionate about their craft. They have some exciting stuff coming up so do stay tuned!

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #6,729 of 40,582
To all those who have heard the "other" iems at CanJam Singapore please refer to them as Proto H and Proto X and PLEASE do not refer to their configuration or specifications if you are aware. Sound impressions are welcome however =)

Day 2! Let's go!

Both prototypes were amazing, Jack, but you know which one's my favorite. 
biggrin.gif

Btw guys, Empire Ears aren't really resting on their laurels, at all. They have some awesome things brewing in their labs, and one in particular has the potential to surpass the Zeus XIV in my books. A bigger but tighter low end and some pretty lush and detailed mids are some of its key strengths. I'm surely looking forward to hearing (or buying) the finished product, Jack!

Oh and, it was great meeting you! 
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #6,731 of 40,582
Both prototypes were amazing, Jack, but you know which one's my favorite. :D

Btw guys, Empire Ears aren't really resting on their laurels, at all. They have some awesome things brewing in their labs, and one in particular has the potential to surpass the Zeus XIV in my books. A bigger but tighter low end and some pretty lush and detailed mids are some of its key strengths. I'm surely looking forward to hearing (or buying) the finished product, Jack!

Oh and, it was great meeting you! :smile:

I'm all in

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #6,734 of 40,582
So unfortunate that I couldn't attend to the CanJam this year...I must've missed a hell lot. =(

But from what I can read so far, it seems like Proto X is gonna be the next big hit eh...wish I could give it a listen...could be the next flagship masterpiece since Zeus-R... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #6,735 of 40,582
  So unfortunate that I couldn't attend to the CanJam this year...I must've missed a hell lot. =(

But from what I can read so far, it seems like Proto X is gonna be the next big hit eh...wish I could give it a listen...could be the next flagship masterpiece since Zeus-R... 
biggrin.gif

I can't reveal too much except the sound but let's just say that you have a lot to look forward to 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back