Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,921 of 40,577
For the PWaudio no.5 which iem connector type and termination do i pick for my ciem athena?

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,922 of 40,577
For the PWaudio no.5 which iem connector type and termination do i pick for my ciem athena?
2-pin 0.78mm and able to be used with recessed sockets.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #4,923 of 40,577

For most CIEMs (exceptions being the latest JH Audio CIEMs, UE CIEMs, Unique Melody CIEMs, and FitEar CIEMs, among others) you're gonna have a 0.78mm 2-pin connection on the IEM end.

As far as termination goes, that depends on your source:

1) If it's a phone or a standard single-ended connection, it's probably gonna be 3.5mm TRS.
2) If you're using an AK's balanced out or a balanced out from a DAP with a similar jack: 2.5mm TRRS.
3) If you're using a HIFIMAN's balanced out or a balanced out from a DAP with a similar jack: 3.5mm TRRS.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #4,924 of 40,577

For most CIEMs (exceptions being the latest JH Audio CIEMs, UE CIEMs, Unique Melody CIEMs, and FitEar CIEMs, among others) you're gonna have a 0.78mm 2-pin connection on the IEM end.

1) If it's a phone or a standard single-ended connection, it's probably gonna be 3.5mm TRS.
2) If you're using an AK's balanced out or a balanced out from a DAP with a similar jack: 2.5mm TRRS.
3) If you're using a HIFIMAN's balanced out or a balanced out from a DAP with a similar jack: 3.5mm TRRS.

sony zx2 /wm1a/wm1z
cowon plenue series

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4,926 of 40,577

So if i am using my fiio dac then its the 3.5mm trrs?

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,928 of 40,577
No, you'd be using the single-ended 3.5mm TRS. If I'm not wrong, all Fiio DAPs have single-ended outputs. I'm assuming you mean Fiio players and not their DACs.

Yeah the fiio x5 2nd gen i am using and possibly the cayin i5 i might buy.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4,930 of 40,577
Hello Everyone,

I was just curious, but what do you all recommend for a desktop DAC / Amp combo (that is on the smaller side) that would pair well with my Savage 5 universals (or any sensitive IEMs)? My budget would be around $600 or less. I want it to have absolutely zero hiss like some of the higher-end DAPs, as my CEntrance Mini-M8 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 just don't cut it and hiss like crazy with my Savage 5's. I haven't been brave enough to plug them into my Mjolnir 2, but I think it probably has too much power to have no hiss with IEMs or I would just use it.

So far I am looking at the:

1.) Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module (Not small, no 3.5mm connection, but no battery which is a big plus.)

2.) Chord Mojo (Small, with an amazing DAC, but requires charging, and isn't balanced.)

Tl;dr - Recommend me the best semi-portable DAC / Amp that has zero hiss with even the most sensitive IEMs. No hiss is the most important factor.

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #4,931 of 40,577
  Hello Everyone,

I was just curious, but what do you all recommend for a desktop DAC / Amp combo (that is on the smaller side) that would pair well with my Savage 5 universals (or any sensitive IEMs)? My budget would be around $600 or less. I want it to have absolutely zero hiss like some of the higher-end DAPs, as my CEntrance Mini-M8 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 just don't cut it and hiss like crazy with my Savage 5's. I haven't been brave enough to plug them into my Mjolnir 2, but I think it probably has too much power to have no hiss with IEMs or I would just use it.

So far I am looking at the:

1.) Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module (Not small, no 3.5mm connection, but no battery which is a big plus.)

2.) Chord Mojo (Small, with an amazing DAC, but requires charging, and isn't balanced.)

Tl;dr - Recommend me the best semi-portable DAC / Amp that has zero hiss with even the most sensitive IEMs. No hiss is the most important factor.

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
ksc75smile.gif

If you're keen on the Mojo, but you need a balanced connection, you can send it to Ryuzoh in Japan for a mod that turns one of the 3.5mm single-ended ports into a 2.5mm balanced port.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #4,932 of 40,577

If you're keen on the Mojo, but you need a balanced connection, you can send it to Ryuzoh in Japan for a mod that turns one of the 3.5mm single-ended ports into a 2.5mm balanced port.

That thing is insanely pricey though. I mean the mod cost as much as a second Mojo, from what I recall. But if one really want the best out of a balanced output, it's certainly one of the best choice from what I read so far on the article.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #4,933 of 40,577
My current daily IEMs died on the left side :frowning2: so I had to pull my Supra II's (kickstarter edition with Linum Bax) out of cold storage.
Wow, the tuning reminds me why I loved them so much previously. So balanced across the spectrum. Details are there in spades for a 2 BA IEM. The mids are a little veiled (very slight lacking in terms of clarity) but still very much musical. Because my daily's were DD, coming back to BA instantly gave gratification for quicker paced songs.
Separation is also very good for the limited soundstage, however the treble extension is quite impressive.

Jack, you've really started on a high and just soared to the stars from this.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #4,934 of 40,577
  ... my CEntrance Mini-M8 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 just don't cut it and hiss like crazy with my Savage 5's. 

I was considering a Mini-M8 but ypur comments about hiss have me concerned. I have 64 Audio A6, pretty sensitive...do you think this is just poor synergy with savage 5 or a more general problem with the Mini-M8 noise floor with iem's, even at low gain?

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #4,935 of 40,577
My current daily IEMs died on the left side :frowning2: so I had to pull my Supra II's (kickstarter edition with Linum Bax) out of cold storage.
Wow, the tuning reminds me why I loved them so much previously. So balanced across the spectrum. Details are there in spades for a 2 BA IEM. The mids are a little veiled (very slight lacking in terms of clarity) but still very much musical. Because my daily's were DD, coming back to BA instantly gave gratification for quicker paced songs.
Separation is also very good for the limited soundstage, however the treble extension is quite impressive.

Jack, you've really started on a high and just soared to the stars from this.

Now you're making me even more excited in getting the Supra-ADEL. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back