Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 10, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #39,481 of 40,629
Yeah, Jack is being really cool about the whole thing. I wouldn’t sweat it no matter what side you’re on.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #39,482 of 40,629
I know I will get hate from this but I had the exact same problem with Odin and even after my Raven purchase I’m walking away thinking, “this brand while making amazing sound are cheaply made”. The shells are so razor thin and quality is questionable. I’m avoiding EE moving forward. Sorry for EE fans but this is just my own experience and impressions.

Nov 10, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #39,483 of 40,629
I know I will get hate from this but I had the exact same problem with Odin and even after my Raven purchase I’m walking away thinking, “this brand while making amazing sound are cheaply made”. The shells are so razor thin and quality is questionable. I’m avoiding EE moving forward. Sorry for EE fans but this is just my own experience and impressions.
Don't apologise. You're as entitled to your view which has been formed by your experiences as anyone else.

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #39,484 of 40,629
Valid point, I'm just lucky to not have any of my Empire stuff explode like the Death Star, but I've seen enough to make me have pause for concern. I have a few Olympus models I sold have issues with their second owner. That's not to say that it's user error induced though.

All said and done Ravengate seems to be more of a one off with launch issues and I'm surprised Jack still has hair left after all this. I just want to hear one!

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #39,485 of 40,629
S
Valid point, I'm just lucky to not have any of my Empire stuff explode like the Death Star, but I've seen enough to make me have pause for concern. I have a few Olympus models I sold have issues with their second owner. That's not to say that it's user error induced though.

All said and done Ravengate seems to be more of a one off with launch issues and I'm surprised Jack still has hair left after all this. I just want to hear one!
I Feel for Jack as well 😅 he really does make awesome stuff love the Odin n raven sound so much

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #39,486 of 40,629
I wonder if now with the release of the Ravens, will Empire Ears consider bringing up the durability of their iems so that we may have a true built to last end game IEM (kind of like the shure se846 that could handle some rough handling without a sweat). If they could place their current tuning + generational improvements to a full metal shell that would really make them a blind buy for me. I don't know if there are concerns around the BC driver being attenuated by a different shell material. Either way being able to take them out daily without worrying about them cracking would be very relieving.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #39,487 of 40,629
I wonder if now with the release of the Ravens, will Empire Ears consider bringing up the durability of their iems so that we may have a true built to last end game IEM (kind of like the shure se846 that could handle some rough handling without a sweat). If they could place their current tuning + generational improvements to a full metal shell that would really make them a blind buy for me. I don't know if there are concerns around the BC driver being attenuated by a different shell material. Either way being able to take them out daily without worrying about them cracking would be very relieving.

I sure wouldn’t mind a metal IEM from EE.

That being said, I have had a metal IEM fail on me so the sum of the parts doesn’t always guarantee longevity. This cracking IEM incident was troubling but mostly over-blown, and is being remedied in a manner that should definitely meet or exceed utopian standards. Plus, there are people here still using some of the earliest iterations produced by EE. So I’d say they have been overwhelmingly well executed since inception.

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #39,488 of 40,629
I sure wouldn’t mind a metal IEM from EE.

That being said, I have had a metal IEM fail on me so the sum of the parts doesn’t always guarantee longevity. This cracking IEM incident was troubling but mostly over-blown, and is being remedied in a manner that should definitely meet or exceed utopian standards. Plus, there are people here still using some of the earliest iterations produced by EE. So I’d say they have been overwhelmingly well executed since inception.
Well said I still have my Zeus XIV. :L3000::L3000:

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #39,489 of 40,629
I still have my Zeus XR and it's gotta be 6+ years old. If you want bulletproof IEMs, buy an 846 or such that sounds like crap (my personal opinion). Or get yourself Apple ear buds that seem to be unbreakable.

According to what Jack wrote, just a very mild change in the shell and insides made for a difference in sound.

I carried cameras around for 30 years with lots of glass lenses and a whole lot of little parts and never busted one. Being careful with our toys keeps them working.

If you are blind, it just means that you have to be more careful, but that is really on you. I'm not trying to be mean, but that is the reality.

I'm always amazed at people who buy $3K IEMs ands sleep with them in their ears. That is NOT being careful with them.

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #39,491 of 40,629
While I have been among the ones not happy to see the Raven to show a fragile design (which is being fixed).
As owner of Legend X (twice) and Odin, I can say that they were not fragile. I used the Odin outside, with less care for it than I do for my most expensive IEMs.
At the opposite, I exploded one Bird and it was 100% my fault, cause the bird looks fragile and probably not as resilient as EE ones. As long as we can normally use such expensive devices without worrying too much, I am happy. Our phones are technically more fragiles and will not survive any kind of falls without severe damages.

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #39,492 of 40,629
While I have been among the ones not happy to see the Raven to show a fragile design (which is being fixed).
As owner of Legend X (twice) and Odin, I can say that they were not fragile. I used the Odin outside, with less care for it than I do for my most expensive IEMs.
At the opposite, I exploded one Bird and it was 100% my fault, cause the bird looks fragile and probably not as resilient as EE ones. As long as we can normally use such expensive devices without worrying too much, I am happy. Our phones are technically more fragiles and will not survive any kind of falls without severe damages.
How did you explode the bird if you don’t mind me asking

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #39,493 of 40,629
I still have my Zeus XR and it's gotta be 6+ years old. If you want bulletproof IEMs, buy an 846 or such that sounds like crap (my personal opinion). Or get yourself Apple ear buds that seem to be unbreakable.

According to what Jack wrote, just a very mild change in the shell and insides made for a difference in sound.

I carried cameras around for 30 years with lots of glass lenses and a whole lot of little parts and never busted one. Being careful with our toys keeps them working.

If you are blind, it just means that you have to be more careful, but that is really on you. I'm not trying to be mean, but that is the reality.

I'm always amazed at people who buy $3K IEMs ands sleep with them in their ears. That is NOT being careful with them.
I agree for most of the part. However, there is one more option out there. Buy Fir Rn6 or Xn6 . Those are tanks

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #39,494 of 40,629
I agree for most of the part. However, there is one more option out there. Buy Fir Rn6 or Xn6 . Those are tanks
Their kinetic bass tech still has some gap between the BC + dual W9+ drivers EE uses for its bass. I feel if the EE team can engineer a metal IEM with similar level of thump and visercal (physical) senation that would be a industry lead for me.

Really just want to daily drive this IEM and use it wherever I go, so that I don't need a secondary one if I'm travelling or just out during the day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back