Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 12, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #39,256 of 40,730
The last sentence there makes me think it might not be a legitimate web site

Empire Ears lists three distributors in EU. I don’t think this is any of them

https://empireears.com/pages/dealers
The last sentence is a standard term for IEMs here in the EU at least. I’ve seen it on all sites. Returns for IEMs are generally not accepted due to hygiene reasons. Of course you can return them if they are defective.

I never said he’s an authorized dealer. But he does get his Ravens from the German distributor, like everyone else. So the source is the same.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #39,258 of 40,730
Find a used Odin. I did. Get one with the Stormbreaker. I already had that cable so bought a cable-less Odin and saved a few bucks.

The first thing I did was put my 1960 on it and it was really nice. But over a couple of days I began to feel it didn't have enough sparkle. Tried the Stormbreaker and there it was.

And, clearly, the two cables are not the same.

well i am a CIEM guy ever since i got my first custom in 2016 , no more Unis for me

i may buy a uni Odin to hear how it sounds before committing to a custom one (which is a huge investment seeing the hit you take if you decide to sell a custom iem here) but i must first find the 2K needed for odin

no hurry , NT6 and Zeus XR are very nice and they kinda complement each other

but yeah Odin is my desired buy for quite some time now

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #39,259 of 40,730
Well, from what I know, more glue spread out in the region tends to prevent issues in the direct area of the socket. So, with more glue… instead of stress being directed to the area immediately around the socket, it’s distributed over a larger surface area, essentially reinforcing its overall strength or rigidity. The approximately 1mm shell thickness is pretty standard and typical for this type of resin.

It could come down to unevenly distributed glue, not enough glue etc.

It’s just one possibility so I don’t want it taken as gospel since Jack will surely explain any findings. Those of which could express any singular or number of concerns leading to these failures.
This....

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #39,260 of 40,730
As it stands, my unit is perfectly fine so I'm not sure sending them back for a 'fix' would serve any purpose. If they are really doing a shell change that would be a pretty big undertaking to do that while maintaining the same sound signature, especially considering the BCD. At canjam Nyc this year they had two prototype IEMs where the only difference was shell thickness (iirc). The difference in sound between the two was not subtle and many people had a distinct preference one way or the other. I wouldn't want to risk altering the sound on mine.

This would be my main concern, the unit I listened to at Canjam London sounded exceptionally good and I would be hesitant to pick one up if the sound properties changed due to a change in shell thickness. I would have to hear it first. The reports from NYC regarding the prototypes state that the 2 IEMs with varying shell thicknesses sounded markedly different. As it stands I think those that have shown defects are more the exception rather than the rule as more people are starting to come forward who have cable rolled with no issues.

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #39,261 of 40,730
This would be my main concern, the unit I listened to at Canjam London sounded exceptionally good and I would be hesitant to pick one up if the sound properties changed due to a change in shell thickness. I would have to hear it first. The reports from NYC regarding the prototypes state that the 2 IEMs with varying shell thicknesses sounded markedly different. As it stands I think those that have shown defects are more the exception rather than the rule as more people are starting to come forward who have cable rolled with no issues.
With shell thickness, the sound changes. It could be a simple, more support for the socket. Jack will let everyone know once he has fully determined what needs to happen.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #39,262 of 40,730
I still don’t want to post links here for obvious reasons. Google can give different results depending on what you/me were browsing in the last days.

What do you make of this description (it’s one of the sellers and I think you can figure out from where by looking at the screenshot) ?

Note: I have been following a lot of dealers in the EU (not just AudioEssence and in my opinion they are not an EU dealer but a Swiss dealer). This seller in the screenshot changed the description recently to include the words “Updated version with new headshell”. It says so also in the title of that page.

IMG_0022.jpeg
Why not send an email to EE and ask them if they are an official reseller of their IEMs?

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #39,264 of 40,730
I think this is what almost everyone is wondering. Last time Jack said they will wiggle and loosen the 2-pin connectors. Then someone else said that they are doing a re-shell but there was no official word on this. I’m also checking this thread once a day to see if there is any update. I’m hoping we’ll hear something official soon.

I also wonder. How will we know if they changed the shell even if they claim so ? There is no way but just to take their word on it.
EE is one of the most renowned and trusted brands in the industry with an exemplary track record and very loyal customer base.

What could they possibly gain from fraudulent behavior? They would lose trust and ultimately risk their reputation and business.

They decided to go the hard way as it's the most consequential one and I personally am fine with it. In fact I'm happy they do so.

Jack told me they will be able to give an estimate soon.

As for customers who have no problems with their units, they can just continue using them and choose to switch to the revised version any time during the warranty period.

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #39,266 of 40,730
I just heard from my dealer, who said he got an email from Jack last night. Apparently Jack & EE are still analyzing returned units and trying to decide what the next step forward is. It should be a strengthening of the shell in some way. So apparently more than just loosening the tight fitting 2-pin jack.

Sounds like EE still don't know exactly what they're gonna do, and they haven't even started on actually remedying any units yet.

Ughh. So it seems at this point it's still an indefinite amount of time before any more pre-orders are shipped.

I'll say it again... ughh. :unamused: How utterly disappointing.

Oct 12, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #39,267 of 40,730
feel sorry for those folks who addressed a lot about issues but never tried it. 😂 i just got it yesterday. 🐦‍⬛ sound phenomenal, jaw dropping when the bass hit on some certain track, feel likes im wearing 2 big subwoofer on my ears. Metal rock, pop, edm, hiphop/rap sound wondeful. For me, leave the issue for ee they take care, i just enjoy 🐦‍⬛ first :L3000:

Attachments

• IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2462.png
    IMG_2462.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #39,269 of 40,730
My heart always bleeds when I see/hear IEMs touching a hard surface, especially if they are as expensive as Raven.
I always baby them and only put them on a soft surface like a mousepad or pillow 😁👶🏻♥️
When Z banged the shells of monarch III on each other in his review I could have screamed 😫

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back