Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 6, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #39,197 of 40,678
Now imagine your new 3600$ raven breaking in your hands from barely taking out a two pin connector … let them do what they have to do. Enjoy your other stuff for now. Which I’m sure we all have plenty of ..Trust me you don’t want to go through that just be patient
Lol I have gone through quite a bit worse... I mean, quite a bit. It's annoying though, I get it.

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #39,198 of 40,678
I had a 2 pin connector pull out of a metal IEM. ssshhhhh*ttt happens.
Dude nahhh I’m the biggest raven fan here and even I know it is unacceptable and they need to take their time to fix it and whatever Iem you had that they should’ve done the same thing

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #39,201 of 40,678
Oct 7, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #39,203 of 40,678
My Raven story.

I’ve been on the road for several weeks, and my Ravens have been sitting in my UPS store box for a while, a tantalizing treat awaiting my return home. I was finally able to pick them up today. Huzzah - right?

I also saw my doctor who said I have an ear infection, so no sticking things in my ear holes. Cue sad trombone music.

I have to laugh because it really is hilarious. Feel free to have a good chuckle at my expense. Schadenfreude is good for the soul.
Speedy recovery for you so you can enjoy your new toys soon 🙏

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #39,204 of 40,678
I am not alone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/headfi.org/permalink/10161114369494736/?mibextid=S66gvF

Think twice when you get Empire Ears products.

My Odin and Odyssey both sent back twice for Shell remake.

After I received my Raven my odyssey broke again, I even did not use out of my house and without falling or any crashing.
My odyssey still in Empire Ears for service now

Every time need take near 6 weeks and cost a expensive shell remaking fee plus extra resin and relacque fee

IMG_4681.jpeg

Man I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have both the Odin and the Odyssey. The Odin fresh out of the box had a misaligned/detaching faceplates on both units, meaning there were irregular sharp edges on the seams. Sent them in for service after providing images to support and very clearly explaining the issue. Had to pay shipping and service fees. Weeks later I get them back and at first glance they were fixed, but no, one still has issues on the seam and it's more pronounced than when I sent it.

The Odyssey was absolutely perfect out of the box, but after just over a month it also started showing the same faceplate issues.

Was hopeful that this new design on the Raven would improve things, but clearly they didn't think it through at all. You'd imagine at $3.5K per pair Empire could afford to do some stress/wear analysis and find a way to attach the faceplates such that glue and crossed fingers aren't primary structural components.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #39,205 of 40,678
A bit off topic from the Raven but i just got my Bravado MKII. The bass is a bit out there, kind of funny how intense it is at times but i just love them. The word "fun" comes to mind. Hard to even go back to my Thieaudio Oracle MKII now :)

Attachments

• IMG-5726.jpg
    IMG-5726.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #39,206 of 40,678
Man I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have both the Odin and the Odyssey. The Odin fresh out of the box had a misaligned/detaching faceplates on both units, meaning there were irregular sharp edges on the seams. Sent them in for service after providing images to support and very clearly explaining the issue. Had to pay shipping and service fees. Weeks later I get them back and at first glance they were fixed, but no, one still has issues on the seam and it's more pronounced than when I sent it.

The Odyssey was absolutely perfect out of the box, but after just over a month it also started showing the same faceplate issues.

Was hopeful that this new design on the Raven would improve things, but clearly they didn't think it through at all. You'd imagine at $3.5K per pair Empire could afford to do some stress/wear analysis and find a way to attach the faceplates such that glue and crossed fingers aren't primary structural components.
Honestly, I’ve never had issues with Odyssey shell itself. Driver failures, but that’s to be expected what a handmade product since it’s not as precise of a process.

As to why with the shells issue, its a materials science question. That’s beyond my scope of knowledge.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #39,207 of 40,678
I didn't bother to go, I just bought my Odin and it's an hour and a half drive in LA traffic to the site.

And my guess is no one is cable rolling the Raven at that table except for EE folks.

congrats , one day i may buy one too (when money comes in or my zeus xr / hidition nt six breaks)

how is Odin compare to zus , is it a sonic upgrade ? please share your impressions

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #39,208 of 40,678
Well, EE seems to make two types of IEMs (I'm generalizing): one type is all-immersive bass-centric and one type is more of a reference style.

The Zeus is certainly the latter, and I found it more "true" as a reference IEM than was my UERM. Even with the 1960 it was just transparent.

The Odin has more thump and thud, but it also has that transparency. I wish it had 3% more treble at the very top sometimes, but that really depends on how the music was mastered and mixed. For the most part it's perfect. I'm using the stock cable as the 1960 took away some of the treble (though the lower registers sounded glorious).

I really like it for the wideness of the notes and chords, it seems to handle lower and upper at the same time really well. Placement is wonderful. It doesn't have a giant soundstage (wide or tall), but is plenty big enough for my purposes. If you find yourself wishing your Zeus had more oomph, it will make you happy. Vocals are about the same as with the Zeus, just slightly more bottom end to them. They just sound "right."

My biggest concern with it is that I keep turning it up because it will go loud without fuzzing or sounding generally crappy, and I find I am listening at too loud a volume. I have to use some self control and keep that level down a bit.

It does need more power than does the Zeus to drive. On my AK1000 the Zeus at 50 sounds great and doesn't cause me concern for my ears. The Odin is at least at 75 and often 85.

I don't know if you ever tried the Phantom, but it tried to do the same things and, to my ears, failed. It had a great bass, but it seemed like everything was tuned to darker/warmer, and vocals didn't sound right. Trebles were really cut off as well.

The Odin just seems like a Zeus with body while still having a lot of transparency. I'm certainly happy with it.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #39,209 of 40,678
Well, EE seems to make two types of IEMs (I'm generalizing): one type is all-immersive bass-centric and one type is more of a reference style.

The Zeus is certainly the latter, and I found it more "true" as a reference IEM than was my UERM. Even with the 1960 it was just transparent.

The Odin has more thump and thud, but it also has that transparency. I wish it had 3% more treble at the very top sometimes, but that really depends on how the music was mastered and mixed. For the most part it's perfect. I'm using the stock cable as the 1960 took away some of the treble (though the lower registers sounded glorious).

I really like it for the wideness of the notes and chords, it seems to handle lower and upper at the same time really well. Placement is wonderful. It doesn't have a giant soundstage (wide or tall), but is plenty big enough for my purposes. If you find yourself wishing your Zeus had more oomph, it will make you happy. Vocals are about the same as with the Zeus, just slightly more bottom end to them. They just sound "right."

My biggest concern with it is that I keep turning it up because it will go loud without fuzzing or sounding generally crappy, and I find I am listening at too loud a volume. I have to use some self control and keep that level down a bit.

It does need more power than does the Zeus to drive. On my AK1000 the Zeus at 50 sounds great and doesn't cause me concern for my ears. The Odin is at least at 75 and often 85.

I don't know if you ever tried the Phantom, but it tried to do the same things and, to my ears, failed. It had a great bass, but it seemed like everything was tuned to darker/warmer, and vocals didn't sound right. Trebles were really cut off as well.

The Odin just seems like a Zeus with body while still having a lot of transparency. I'm certainly happy with it.

lovely impressions , Odin has been on my radar for some years now as i like a precise/reference/analytical sound
a18s is also one i would love to try but the 3K price also makes it a wishful dreaming

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #39,210 of 40,678
Find a used Odin. I did. Get one with the Stormbreaker. I already had that cable so bought a cable-less Odin and saved a few bucks.

The first thing I did was put my 1960 on it and it was really nice. But over a couple of days I began to feel it didn't have enough sparkle. Tried the Stormbreaker and there it was.

And, clearly, the two cables are not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back