Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #38,792 of 40,604
Which was my entire point of my post... Thank you.

It shouldn't matter if it is a $100 product. The same thing the Cayin buyers are dealing with. Re-read my post or don't I could care less. My post was very clear about your right to purchase a product or not and following manufacturers directions or not. Whatever, a waste of my energy.
No one has EVER made excuses for Cayin or supported a troubled product. Especially not someone who likes to throw stones in the glass house.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #38,793 of 40,604
(Not implying anyone or anything) Please watch this video if you haven’t seen it about Raven’s cable and pins

Wonder how many Ravens Jack broke while filming the video 😂

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #38,794 of 40,604
Unbelievable...

After all that fuzz regarding Raven I was quite happy that EVO seemed more durable but guess what I just discovered after close examination...
I always babyed my EVOs as it is soooo much money for me.

I did not drop them once and this is the outcome of always carefully using them.

I am owning EVO for 4 months and need to send them back for the second time now.
On the first unit one driver was dead on arrival and now this.

I'm glad that @TomKorn handled the last RMA process like a champ and I did not have to pay anything.

Really curious how this one will turn out.... Hoping for the best.

Can the constant vibration of bone conduction cause the shell to crack?
The cracks are really subtle and seem to start from the inside and it's pretty hard to detect them (with all the reflection going on) when you are not looking closely.
It's really weird seeing this happen and I am still in shock about this discovery 🤯

😢

edit:

I made a few pictures with my macro lens and reached out to Tom and Empire Ears and got immediate response which is relieving!
Apparantly it is not the shell that is cracked but it looks like a problem with the lacquer which can happen on rare occassions and therefore the faceplate is coming off.
I got assured that this is an easy fix and will be done within one day.
Guess I am just not that lucky but as long as it is handled as professional as now there are no hard feelings from my side
Thank you @TomKorn and @Jack Vang for taking care of me that quick, really appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_142222.jpg
    IMG_20230926_142222.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230926_142302.jpg
    IMG_20230926_142302.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230926_142407.jpg
    IMG_20230926_142407.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #38,795 of 40,604
Alright, this is stressful. Ouch. Ordering a super expensive launch unit which will be singled out in the future as “the one which breaks”. Or not. I feel like dealing with a focal utopia and the endless “the driver dies” or not discussion. It makes me 😓🥵😱🤮.

Meanwhile, I try to relax and enjoy my toy which was too expensive for me in the first place.

I love the Raven sound. The ongoing discussion makes me wish I hadn’t bought anything.
IMG_3581.jpeg

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #38,796 of 40,604
Alright, this is stressful. Ouch. Ordering a super expensive launch unit which will be singled out in the future as “the one which breaks”. Or not. I feel like dealing with a focal utopia and the endless “the driver dies” or not discussion. It makes me 😓🥵😱🤮.

Meanwhile, I try to relax and enjoy my toy which was too expensive for me in the first place.

I love the Raven sound. The ongoing discussion makes me wish I hadn’t bought anything.
I love the sound too. I even gave it a five star review. I thought it was a game changer….until..😔🪦💔

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #38,797 of 40,604
Somehow I feel it’s time for action. When Focal realised there is an issue with the Utopia driver, they extended the warranty from 24 to 60 months. I doubt that the company liked doing this, but they managed to give their customers (who bought a headphone as expensive as the Raven) peace of mind for a long time.

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #38,798 of 40,604
Somehow I feel it’s time for action. When Focal realised there is an issue with the Utopia driver, they extended the warranty from 24 to 60 months. I doubt that the company liked doing this, but they managed to give their customers (who bought a headphone as expensive as the Raven) peace of mind for a long time.

The newly released Cayin N30 DAP is having some issues where some DAPs produce loud static or noise with certain gear. Its hardware related and Cayin have a fix for it, but they’ve already announced they’ll cover this issue with warranty up until Sept 2028 (for 5 years), I’d expect to see some sort of similar warranty offering from Empire Ears regarding the Raven too. I’m still really puzzled as to why .75 sockets are used with a .78 cable, 64 audio CIEMs use .75 sockets and for this reason I never cable rolled my A12t. It takes a lot of pressure and force to remove and insert .78 cables on those sockets that it made me very uncomfortable. For an IEM as large as Raven that isn’t made from metal, I’m not surprised IEMs are shattering with this socket/cable combination.

Thankfully EE isn’t some small company that will let this go ignored… but I’d definitely want some sort of extended warranty on the shells if it were me. If you’re buying an IEM the price of Raven I’m willing to bet you know how to remove a 2 pin cable safely, the fact there’s a video showcasing how to for this IEM makes me believe that they had some sort of idea this could be a problem.

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #38,800 of 40,604
Unbelievable...

After all that fuzz regarding Raven I was quite happy that EVO seemed more durable but guess what I just discovered after close examination...
I always babyed my EVOs as it is soooo much money for me.

I did not drop them once and this is the outcome of always carefully using them.

I am owning EVO for 4 months and need to send them back for the second time now.
On the first unit one driver was dead on arrival and now this.

I'm glad that @TomKorn handled the last RMA process like a champ and I did not have to pay anything.

Really curious how this one will turn out.... Hoping for the best.

Can the constant vibration of bone conduction cause the shell to crack?
The cracks are really subtle and seem to start from the inside and it's pretty hard to detect them (with all the reflection going on) when you are not looking closely.
It's really weird seeing this happen and I am still in shock about this discovery 🤯

😢
I would almost guarantee that saw stress or pressure to help that along. We're running into cases being thinner for weight and size so also less durable or EE just uses thinner cases than some. I've had similar things with my old Spartans but while I don't remember putting pressure on them, I'm absolutely certain that's the cause. I popped the cap and used a bit of epoxy. Functionally goof as new and look OK.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #38,801 of 40,604
This is a good point.

Silver lining is for EA cables, they have a modular system, so any ‘damage’ from wriggling can be easily replaced. The beauty of ConX system.

If one has a pricey PW cable…I hope it doesn’t get damaged from wriggling.
It wasn't their IEM in my case, but EE's 4.4 mm -> 3.5mm adapter absolutely ravaged one of my PW connectors. EE didn't care, blamed PW (blaming their partners definitely a theme!), really soured me on their service and brand.

Seeing their response here just confirms that avoiding them going forward is a good call for me. I don't want to constantly worry my TOTL is going to break and damage my other gear!

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #38,803 of 40,604
The newly released Cayin N30 DAP is having some issues where some DAPs produce loud static or noise with certain gear. Its hardware related and Cayin have a fix for it, but they’ve already announced they’ll cover this issue with warranty up until Sept 2028 (for 5 years), I’d expect to see some sort of similar warranty offering from Empire Ears regarding the Raven too. I’m still really puzzled as to why .75 sockets are used with a .78 cable, 64 audio CIEMs use .75 sockets and for this reason I never cable rolled my A12t. It takes a lot of pressure and force to remove and insert .78 cables on those sockets that it made me very uncomfortable. For an IEM as large as Raven that isn’t made from metal, I’m not surprised IEMs are shattering with this socket/cable combination.

Thankfully EE isn’t some small company that will let this go ignored… but I’d definitely want some sort of extended warranty on the shells if it were me. If you’re buying an IEM the price of Raven I’m willing to bet you know how to remove a 2 pin cable safely, the fact there’s a video showcasing how to for this IEM makes me believe that they had some sort of idea this could be a problem.
I’m telling you the way mine broke was crazy. I literally went to take it out extra carefully and with the smallest amount of pressure, it shattered like a brittle eggshell

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #38,805 of 40,604
How does 4.4 mm > 3.5 mm adapter "ravage" a connector?
You'd have to ask EE for the mechanism lol, but the end result was that it produced long angular and longitudinal gashes on the PW 4.4 mm connector it mated to, so much so it can require rotation and fiddling now to get signal to go through at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back