Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 30, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #38,389 of 40,713
Many of you check this review out yet? Interesting take, I don’t recall reading anyone here mentioning the mid dip issue in a similar way here:

sounds like tip swapping is going to be required here, just like with legend evo and odyssey. Very sensitive to proper insertion depth.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #38,390 of 40,713
This review video is very concerning for those interesting to buy without having the possibility to test first. The weird rendering of voices - if true - is a major issue for me, since I use my IEMs for lots of video / learning platforms and audiobooks as well. It is at the center of my listening. And Andrew is usually accurate and reliable.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #38,391 of 40,713
This review video is very concerning for those interesting to buy without having the possibility to test first. The weird rendering of voices - if true - is a major issue for me, since I use my IEMs for lots of video / learning platforms and audiobooks as well. It is at the center of my listening. And Andrew is usually accurate and reliable.
I would suggest trying to demo them, I heard no such issues with voices when I tested them with my Cayin N7 / C9 combo and spiral dots.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #38,392 of 40,713
I haven't watched any of his reviews before this one, generally if someone sells the product it doesn't resonate with me. Strong statement saying he can't recommend it without offering much other detail. For those of you that place any weight on his opinion, what does he recommend for contrast, aside from U12t?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #38,393 of 40,713
I listened to the Raven and I didn’t notice any issues with voices. The whole experience was positive for me. I was using the SP3K and SednaEarfit Lights.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #38,394 of 40,713
Andrew is a very strong and, in my opinion, honest reviewer. That said this was a particularly pointed review, without much detail (other than pointing out what he considers a flaw). As always, reviews are just one data point, whether or not you agree with them. Trust your own ears.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #38,395 of 40,713
This is interesting. If iam good remember, on high school teacher tould us, that if someone tould you, that hears 3dB difference, its not possible. And this look like +3-4db up and -3-4dB down. Question is, if someone can listen this dip without seeing freq. char. But for me personaly iam ok with this. Maybe iam old deaf man. But i like to listen raven and if its good i like to order it. :wink:

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #38,396 of 40,713
wait, people who are looking at raven iem is after reference level sound right?

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #38,398 of 40,713
if that is the case, it's about the music you listen to and if raven fits in your set up (synergy). Personally, i will look at other options.

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #38,399 of 40,713
if that is the case, it's about the music you listen to and if raven fits in your set up (synergy). Personally, i will look at other options.
That's the problem with the Headphones.com approach. I enjoy his videos and have no reason to suspect him of anything, but he and Precog do definitely judge IEMs according to a set standard profile. And that profile seems to hover around the U12T profile, more or less. But there is nothing more objectively correct about that profile than another one might develop as a target. You have to understand what they are looking for in order to put their critiques in context.

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #38,400 of 40,713
That's the problem with the Headphones.com approach. I enjoy his videos and have no reason to suspect him of anything, but he and Precog do definitely judge IEMs according to a set standard profile. And that profile seems to hover around the U12T profile, more or less. But there is nothing more objectively correct about that profile than another one might develop as a target. You have to understand what they are looking for in order to put their critiques in context.
Which is hilarious, because U12T sucks balls. They’re bright, have almost no bass response, are very fatiguing after more than an hour of listening…

Also worth noting that their measurement rig cannot properly measure an IEM with bone conduction. In fact there are zero rigs that can do this consistently, though there is a lot of work being put into making one right now so we should see something in the next few years.

Lastly, Resolve blasted EE’s Odin for being extremely colored when for a lot of people Odin is basically reference quality neutral…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back