Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 19, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,616 of 40,611
Both L3 and L3Pro have single ended (3.5mm) and balanced (2.5mm) HO outputs, Line Out (dac output to use with external amp), Digital Out (to use as a transport to drive your external dac/amp), and you can use it as usb dac.  The output is "quiet" keeping the hiss down to zero, but the output power is on a lower side since it's designed for IEMs/CIEMs, though you can still drive some less demanding full size.  The only thing it's missing a touch swiping, you can only tap on a touch screen, though can use hw transport control buttons for scrolling in addition to touch keys.

Not really sure what do you mean by active input?

L3 indeed has a great synergy with Zeus/R.

As in I can plug my computer/phone into the L3 and then the L3 into my desktop setup

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #3,619 of 40,611
I'm not sold on L3, to be honest. With default EQ, it lacks high end for my taste. With Jazz EQ, it's too sharp. All other EQ sound bad to me. Prefer other DAPs in this price range...

I was just talking to my pal lenroot77 about something very similar. A big reason why this hobby is so amazng is the differences in taste what I love another may loath. But either which way it pairs very well to the EE super sensitive Line up

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,620 of 40,611
You tried Fiio x7 yet? You might like it.

Yup, I was one of the early reviewers. Back when it was using beta firmware. With AM1. Didn't care much for the GUI, although they seem to have improved it. Sound was pretty good, but I'd rather they just stick in one of the better amps and be done with it. Not sold on amp modularity...

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,621 of 40,611
Yup, I was one of the early reviewers. Back when it was using beta firmware. With AM1. Didn't care much for the GUI, although they seem to have improved it. Sound was pretty good, but I'd rather they just stick in one of the better amps and be done with it. Not sold on amp modularity...

The other amps are much nicer than am1. I use am3 (balanced) and am2 (sounds the same to me) and really like it's sq.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #3,622 of 40,611
Please how do you use Mojo with your IEM/CIEM?

I tried Hugo only via USB to computer and when I tried it with quality IEM there was hiss not a lot but it is there and to be honest I probably prefer even my iPhone becuase of this, it without hiss and sound is very fine too, strange.

err I use Mojo with all my CIEMs. any hiss pretty much is a non issue for me once a track is played at a reasonable (not loud) volume

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #3,623 of 40,611
Speaking of hiss, it's worth mentioning that I remember when the Zeus was first launched, I got a fair amount of hiss out of my Hugo. But Dean's tweeked a few things and while there is a slight hiss between songs, it's nothing like it used to be. Like a few of the other users have said, once the song starts it's a non-issue. I was really pleased to notice how much that hiss had been reduced on the most current models tho.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3,624 of 40,611
With all my testing, hiss is (obviously) associated with the source, the iems (in this case Zeus) is just very high resolution/clarity/detail monster... So it has to be very sensitive... Im far from an engineer... But everything about it is on point so that the sound is on point.

So far to me, mojo has proven to have the least possible hiss (inaudible when music is played, even at lowest volume).

Ifi Iematch takes care of all the hiss on all sources I ran through for the Zeus XR review (just a few days away).
But it hinders the performance, the sound takes a good hit, making the Ifi iematch a returned item for me

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #3,626 of 40,611
Hi, I am in the market for one of Empire Ear's universal IEMs, can anyone with extensive experience with the Spartan/Hermes/Athena please compare and contrast their sound signatures? Thanks.

there have been a few people who have given their impressions before. Would be nice if someone could index a section at beginning of thread so others can easily find them. Really like how they do it on the Mojo thread that the second post has links to impressions and other tips.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #3,627 of 40,611
The time has come for my second round with Empire Ears...

There'll be a total of 4 chapters to write on this.

Chapter 1: Empire Supra

Chapter 2: Empire Cerberus

Chapter 3: Empire Zeus R

Chapter 4: Empire x Effect Audio - ARTHUR

On my way now to my friend's place to try them out...

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #3,630 of 40,611
The time has come for my second round with Empire Ears...

There'll be a total of 4 chapters to write on this.

Chapter 1: Empire Supra

Chapter 2: Empire Cerberus

Chapter 3: Empire Zeus R

Chapter 4: Empire x Effect Audio - ARTHUR

On my way now to my friend's place to try them out...

ditch supra , and write about spartan/ athena instead 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back