Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #36,136 of 40,591
I don't quite understand why Empire Ears ODIN has such an admiring attitude. They are not perfect in my opinion. For me, ODIN has a rather tiring upper middle, so I can’t listen to them for a long time. Therefore, in the end, I took the Legend EVO. This is just my opinion and maybe it will help someone in choosing. In any case, everyone has different preferences.
I disagree, I can listen to Odin all day. I have both Odin and EVO and enjoy both but I can say for certain that Odin is the more technically adept of the two and the one that is likely to be more widely adopted / praised due to its relatively more neutral tuning. YMMV and all that.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #36,137 of 40,591
I disagree, I can listen to Odin all day. I have both Odin and EVO and enjoy both but I can say for certain that Odin is the more technically adept of the two and the one that is likely to be more widely adopted / praised due to its relatively more neutral tuning. YMMV and all that.
It will depend on what technicalities you value.

Evo dwarfs Odin on Staging size. And give it the right source and EVO can be balanced pretty well if that is what you wish.

I actually had a chance to relisten Odin and EVO recently and i was really underwhelmed by Odin. Where as EVO sounded grander to me.

Saying that there are quite a few things that Odin does better than EVO.

So as you say. Its a YMMV thing.

Poblem with odin. That there is Anima out at the same price and within similar price and its is running circles around it as far at technical performance is concerned

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #36,138 of 40,591
It will depend on what technicalities you value.

Evo dwarfs Odin on Staging size. And give it the right source and EVO can be balanced pretty well if that is what you wish.

I actually had a chance to relisten Odin and EVO recently and i was really underwhelmed by Odin. Where as EVO sounded grander to me.

Saying that there are quite a few things that Odin does better than EVO.

So as you say. Its a YMMV thing.

Poblem with odin. That there is Anima out at the same price and within similar price and its is running circles around it as far at technical performance is concerned

Hmm I disagree, Staging size sounds fairly similar to me… EVO’s bass seems to sprawl the bottom of the stage out more but Odin has more headroom by a wide margin. They are both in the same ballpark in terms of technicalities but imaging, layering and detail retrieval all go to Odin and it’s quite obvious to my ears.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #36,140 of 40,591
Hello Empire Ears community:)

I have a huge decision regarding and eventual trigger on the Odin....

I got my LX since 2 years and I am more than happy about this guilty pleasure..

I got also the Mest MK2 and dunu sa6, I wish to upgrade the mest mk2 but wondering if the price difference between mk2 and the Odin will be justified and if I will have the waouh effect.

Is someone had/have both and tell me if it's worth to upgrade for a 3k usd Odin instead of keep my 1k usd mest .

Thank you for your honest feedbacks
I got the MEST V1 shortly before the Odin came out. Even though the price tag on the Odin was significantly higher that what I would be willing to pay it, it left a big enough impression that I eventually ended up getting one.

I really tried settling with the MEST telling myself it was a quadbrid and the difference was very small. Then I got Odin and the MEST just didn't cut it.

Haven't heard the V2, but all indications is that the price bump really isn't worth what is essentially a side grade to the MEST.

If you have the funds to get Odin, try it head to head with MEST. Then decided on which one to keep. Otherwise demo, don't let a stranger and an audiophile forum make a decision for you.

I don't quite understand why Empire Ears ODIN has such an admiring attitude. They are not perfect in my opinion. For me, ODIN has a rather tiring upper middle, so I can’t listen to them for a long time. Therefore, in the end, I took the Legend EVO. This is just my opinion and maybe it will help someone in choosing. In any case, everyone has different preferences.
😑More or less anwsered your own question there.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #36,141 of 40,591
Hmm I disagree, Staging size sounds fairly similar to me… EVO’s bass seems to sprawl the bottom of the stage out more but Odin has more headroom by a wide margin. They are both in the same ballpark in terms of technicalities but imaging, layering and detail retrieval all go to Odin and it’s quite obvious to my ears.
Interesting. It probably comes down to synergy with the rest of the chain. I will try to check Odin out again, next time im around in Harrods.
Its probably the fact that EVO is more up my alley in terms of tuning that bias. And the fact that i actually did own EVO. But i did spend considerable time with Odin on various occasions as i did consider buying it before EVO was released.
EVOs dealbreaker was its treble tuning. I think Odin does it better for sure.

Regardless, these days there are few options. That id take over Odin or EVO at the same price range.

One thing both EVO and Odin still stang out with to this date, is the bass. Still love how W9s present the bass.

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #36,142 of 40,591
Coincidentally, I have been rotating between Odin and Evo the whole day. I'd say that my preference leans towards Odin.

Odin to me is clearly the more technically capable IEM with more focused mids, better treble extension and great bass. I love the upper mids personally and the clarity it brings. Out of the 1ZM2 and DMP, there is zero harshness to my ears.

Evo on the other hand has that deep bass and BCD effect which does give the impression of larger staging. It is overall a softer sounding IEM and more diffused vs the Odin's more focused presentation and I believe this owing to the BCD.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #36,144 of 40,591
Coincidentally, I have been rotating between Odin and Evo the whole day. I'd say that my preference leans towards Odin.

Odin to me is clearly the more technically capable IEM with more focused mids, better treble extension and great bass. I love the upper mids personally and the clarity it brings. Out of the 1ZM2 and DMP, there is zero harshness to my ears.

Evo on the other hand has that deep bass and BCD effect which does give the impression of larger staging. It is overall a softer sounding IEM and more diffused vs the Odin's more focused presentation and I believe this owing to the BCD.
I agree with a lot of that. Odin will have present more detail, better treble extension for sure. I just found EVOs Stage a bit bigger thats all. I dont own both of them so you, having them back to back, will clearly see the difference.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #36,145 of 40,591
Hi, new Odin owner here. Coming from ThieAudio Legacy 3 which I’ve used with TRN BT20 (old model), but it wasn’t a good match with the low impedance of Odin.

Looking for impressions on other IEM Bluetooth dongles with the Odin or similar sensitive IEM’s.

TRN BT20s Pro
TRN BT30
FiiO UTWS5

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #36,146 of 40,591
Looking for impressions on other IEM Bluetooth dongles with the Odin or similar sensitive IEM’s.
BT dongle is a huge bottleneck in SQ imo. I had utws5 + Um Mest mk2 before and found my AKG N400 TWS doesnt sound that far off.

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #36,147 of 40,591
Interesting. It probably comes down to synergy with the rest of the chain. I will try to check Odin out again, next time im around in Harrods.
Its probably the fact that EVO is more up my alley in terms of tuning that bias. And the fact that i actually did own EVO. But i did spend considerable time with Odin on various occasions as i did consider buying it before EVO was released.
EVOs dealbreaker was its treble tuning. I think Odin does it better for sure.

Regardless, these days there are few options. That id take over Odin or EVO at the same price range.

One thing both EVO and Odin still stang out with to this date, is the bass. Still love how W9s present the bass.
Reading all of this, as a potential buyer who lives in a city where auditioning TOTL IEMs isn’t possible, it still sounds like Odin is worth a listen (at a CanJam maybe?). The price is high for a blind buy; however, it seems (from earlier comments on the thread) that EE may be about to release something akin to Odin Mk2, at which point we ought to start to see more OG Odins appear in Head-Fi classified.

I own LX but have atypical ear anatomy that won’t allow deep insertion of tips/ direct contact between IEM shells and my skull so have avoided Evo and other BCD IEMS like MEST Mk2. LX (uni) works using Azla Xelastic tips that confrom to my concha’s and sit over the entire external opening of the ear canal. I get my treble and detail “satisfaction” from 64 Audio U12T.

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #36,148 of 40,591
Hey Folks,

Question regarding the customer service/after sales service...

I have the opportunity to buy some Odin founder's edition ( bought in August 2020). Of course the warranty is expired.

What is the risk for me to buy such Odin if one driver will break or something else ? Would be easy to repair with EE in America ???

Thanks for the answer

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #36,149 of 40,591
Hey Folks,

Question regarding the customer service/after sales service...

I have the opportunity to buy some Odin founder's edition ( bought in August 2020). Of course the warranty is expired.

What is the risk for me to buy such Odin if one driver will break or something else ? Would be easy to repair with EE in America ???

Thanks for the answer
In my experience, EE customer service is some of the best in the business. I would not be worried about that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back