Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #35,551 of 40,582
Hello guys. After almost 4 months with my Legend EVO I can say that I am completely in love with these earphones. What motivated me to write a new feedback is that I bought Fir Audio Xenon 6 and I noticed right away that the new Fir flagship model is so much better than the Legend EVO in almost everything. Better, more detailed bass, more open and airy presentation, sound resolution is on a completely different level, treble is something you can not compare with Legend EVO as well, honestly there was an incredible difference in sound quality for my ears. At first I was a little disappointed, I did not understand why there was that difference in sound quality, if price difference is not so big between these two models. And you know what? I did not give up! I felt that something had to be done, before I would decide to sell my Legend EVO. It became difficult to enjoy EVO after Xenon6, I felt that the sound was dark, muddy, and these earphones did not touch my heart anymore. I decided to order a new cable for the Legend EVO, I first wanted to order a PW Audio 1950 and I thought, hm, it might be wise to try a silver cable, and then my eyes fell on Effect Audio, I had no plans to waste many thousands for a flagship cable if it does not give good enough result and I ordered EA Cleopatra silver cable for 800 $. I did not expect much from it. but once the cable arrived to me, I tried the new cable with Xenon6 and the result was disappointing, I hardly heard any difference from the PW Audio original cable from Legend EVO. BUT!!! then I tried the Cleopatra + Legend EVO combination and I was shocked, I was completely confused by what I heard, Legend EVO was crystal clear, with a slight accent on treble, bass was a bit drier but incredibly better technically, goes deeper, beats harder, details and resolution almost reached the Xenon 6 level, the difference in sound I experienced for $ 800 is really a bargin purchase. I highly recommend trying silver cable with the Legend Evo and you get a completely different experience of these earphones! Sorry for a long read, but it must have been written, have a nice weekend everyone:wink:
similar experience here. I have tried a friend's silver cable (DrJuggle) and I was shocked, so I ordered a custom 12 cores pure silver cable... I hope will bring my EVO to the next level 🙂

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #35,552 of 40,582
And today’s love affair is:

Legend X + Ares II (stock cable) + Hiby RS6

7E4F7255-18DE-49EA-9F09-1A024A6BFED3.jpeg

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #35,553 of 40,582
Apr 25, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #35,554 of 40,582
Apr 25, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #35,555 of 40,582
Can anyone advise which of these cables would be best to try with the EVO? All these posts of fancy cables has got me curious.

https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/co...m-earphone-upgrade-cable-2-pin-2-5mm-balanced

https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/co...m-earphone-upgrade-cable-2-pin-2-5mm-balanced

Or if there is another particular cable that is actually in stock somewhere in the UK...
What are your sound preferences, like do you like warmer / more lush sounds or prefer certain aspects eg mids, treble to be enhanced? If you’re in the former camp, I can share my brief findings from an entirely amateur lens via pm

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #35,556 of 40,582
What are your sound preferences, like do you like warmer / more lush sounds or prefer certain aspects eg mids, treble to be enhanced? If you’re in the former camp, I can share my brief findings from an entirely amateur lens via pm

TBH, it isn't a preference for warmth vs mids, I just like the different tuning of different IEM's. I swap between my Odin and Evo and if there is a cable that will make a noticeable difference to the Evo, I want to try it! Some of the posts in this thread read like adverts for cable manufacturers so it is hard to pick something out. I can't imagine cables making some of the proclaimed differences mentioned so far.

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #35,557 of 40,582
TBH, it isn't a preference for warmth vs mids, I just like the different tuning of different IEM's. I swap between my Odin and Evo and if there is a cable that will make a noticeable difference to the Evo, I want to try it! Some of the posts in this thread read like adverts for cable manufacturers so it is hard to pick something out. I can't imagine cables making some of the proclaimed differences mentioned so far.
Maybe it’s just me but I heard distinct differences between say, PlusSound’s PPH8 and Tri-copper cables and their respective synergies with Evo. Perhaps someone can share his/her expert insights on cables which you will find helpful 😌

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #35,558 of 40,582
Can anyone advise which of these cables would be best to try with the EVO? All these posts of fancy cables has got me curious.

Or if there is another particular cable that is actually in stock somewhere in the UK...
Haven’t tried either of those cables and neither will be in stock at Hifiheadphones so you will have to wait either way unfortunately. I prefer the tonality and timbre of a copper based cable and find that silver messes with this too much with EVO. It really depends on what characteristics you are looking to amplify in EVO’s signature.

Of those two I would imagine that the leonidas would be the better pick as I’ve read it’s mellower. Myself and @metaljem77 find plussound’s tri-copper a very good pairing so that’s a pretty safe bet.

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #35,559 of 40,582
Maybe it’s just me but I heard distinct differences between say, PlusSound’s PPH8 and Tri-copper cables and their respective synergies with Evo. Perhaps someone can share his/her expert insights on cables which you will find helpful 😌
I wouldn’t mind hearing how the PPH stacks up against the tri-copper on EVO though?!

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #35,560 of 40,582
I wouldn’t mind hearing how the PPH stacks up against the tri-copper on EVO though?!
I’m treble-sensitive, along with higher mids if they are a little too enhanced (I don’t think “sibilant” would be right because that might suggest that Evo renders these frequencies badly/excessively sharp which I don’t think so when I can enjoy them with different cable pairings). Twister6 described various cable pairings quite well: https://www.google.com/amp/s/twister6.com/2021/09/22/empire-ears-legend-evo/amp/

Personally, PPH8 is an awesome cable, with wide soundstage and detail retrieval but I sold it eventually as I don’t think I enjoyed it much with my IEMs. I realised I’m very much a copper cable fan, save for Eletech’s Aeneid which is permanently paired to my Evo - the bass is delicious with the mids and treble all in the right proportion for my bass-heavy music. Taking price into consideration, I’d say the Tri-copper is the next best cable Evo pairing for me.

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #35,561 of 40,582
EVO and some PWA cables sound great both 1960 4 wire and my favorite First Time sound excellent. Also really liked the EA Centurion, the FT was my personal favorite and half the price.

I’d really like to hear the PWA Monile MKII ft 60s with the EVO, heard that’s a great pairing.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #35,562 of 40,582

PM @doctorjuggles . He made me a copper cable (Shaka Ultra) that sounds great with the EVO. He will tailor the cable to your sound preference.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #35,563 of 40,582
@nastypoker mentioned HifiHeadphones in the UK and this is a good place to start on a cable journey. I went there in person to the store in Sussex, Shoreham-by-sea, and I listened to the whole range of Effect Audio cables over about 2 hours. There were differences that I found between each cable and I found ones that I liked and then ones that just didn’t gel with my sound preferences. At that time the Horus was the TOTL, but of course things have moved on since then in the EA range. Well worth a visit if able, but best to check stock though and book an appointment beforehand.

Somewhere on here, probably in the EA thread, I did some impressions of a few of the cables I was able to try on that day.

Edit: Sorry @metaljem77 i think I tagged you into that reply in error 😃

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #35,564 of 40,582
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #35,565 of 40,582

I would choose Thor II, you can easily find a description of these two cables in google, and can understand that Thor II gives more "regular silver" sound, while Leonidas II is more neutral and soft cable, I think Thor II will fit better for Legend EVO, but that's just my opinion based on my own experience of cleopatra cable. I had to choose between cleopatra and leonidas and went for Cleo, Thor II was out of stock.

If I had to choose cable only for Legend EVO I would go for Thor II, if for both Legend EVO and Odin then I would choose Leonidas II, for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back