Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 27, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #35,582 of 40,559
Wraith didn't sell well (comparatively) due to its need for lots of power to the bass drivers - which led to easier-to-driver drivers in the LX. Apparently a very good IEM but not so much for portable use due to its power needs. It's not a "wrong" model, just ended up being a transition model to the newest bass monsters.
It was the electrostatic tweeters that demanded a ton of power. They only had the 1st generation Sonion e-stats then. The 2nd generation that everyone's using now is much easier to drive, which is why the ODIN never had the Wraith's issues.

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #35,583 of 40,559
Which DAP/Amp you guys have experienced to pair well with Wraith, also with regard to its power hunger?
Hugo2, Mojo1&2, AK SPKM. All have plenty of power for the Wraith.

I still love my Wraith and its sound. Just wish it came in a custom version.

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #35,584 of 40,559
I think the power requirements of Wraith turn people off. If they try it and don't have adequate power, they label it as sounding bad and sale it. This has potentially given Wraith a bad rap.
I use with A&K 380 and the power is ok, i listen at volume around 90/95 and sound very loud,to listen at the same level with UM Red Halo Fe i have to go to 125 around
so has no power problem

May 1, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #35,586 of 40,559
I use a Brise Audio YARONO LE paired with EVO

May 3, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #35,587 of 40,559
I'm listening to Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge with my EVO.... I've listened to this album I don't know how many times, with many different gears, so I know it by heart... I must say the way EVO reproduces it it's gorgeous, not completely tonally correct, bass lines are a little bit too much, maybe lacking the ultimate bit of air, but man... how much I'm enjoying what I hear :heart_eyes:... pure bliss.
I must also say, I don't understand why some people say this IEMs are not detailed or are slow/lacking microdynamics... I hear a very nice detail level, just the right amount without being analitical, and just the right amount without being boring.
and the stage... oh man, never heard in a IEM such a big and "reverberating" representation of the space, it seems to be in a club with Antonio right in front of me.
with a couple db less basses and some more air, would be just perfect for this kind of music.
right now the only music I'm not able to listen to with EVO is prog-metal and hard-rock, distorted guitar have way too many harmonics, but I hope my next cable will solve this.

20220503_182547.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #35,588 of 40,559
I'm listening to Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge with my EVO.... I've listened to this album I don't know how many times, with many different gears, so I know it by heart... I must say the way EVO reproduces it it's gorgeous, not completely tonally correct, bass lines are a little bit too much, maybe lacking the ultimate bit of air, but man... how much I'm enjoying what I hear :heart_eyes:... pure bliss.
I must also say, I don't understand why some people say this IEMs are not detailed or are slow/lacking microdynamics... I hear a very nice detail level, just the right amount without being analitical, and just the right amount without being boring.
and the stage... oh man, never heard in a IEM such a big and "reverberating" representation of the space, it seems to be in a club with Antonio right in front of me.
with a couple db less basses and some more air, would be just perfect for this kind of music.
right now the only music I'm not able to listen to with EVO is prog-metal and hard-rock, distorted guitar have way too many harmonics, but I hope my next cable will solve this.
Just waiting for the postman to deliver mine :L3000:
Thank you for your impressions, I'm a bit of a metal fan myself and wonder if you have a cable in mind for a replacement?

May 3, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #35,590 of 40,559

20220503_182547.jpg
I got a Shaka Ultra from @doctorjuggles and it really matched well, especially toning down those guitar harmonics.

May 3, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #35,591 of 40,559
@geordieman still evaluating... I have ordered a custom pure silver just to try, but I think the best could be a pure copper. I've also used an spc+graphene, not bad. and the stock cable is also not bad at all actually.... we'll see...
For LX, I ordered Eletech Socrates (delivery is hung up due to factory shutdowns in Shanghai) and considered Plussound Tri-Copper. Will provide impressions when possible/after receipt.

May 3, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #35,592 of 40,559

20220503_182547.jpg
I’m with you, but I also think that this is not a “mainstream” IEM but rather a niche one - but fans will love it, as I do. It’s also not that easy for me to find a cable that synergises well with it (unlike LX), such that the bass is not attenuated, whilst microdetails are finetuned. Took me a while to finally narrow down to 2 cables which worked best for me :)

May 3, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #35,593 of 40,559
@metaljem77 agree, EVO are definitely "niche". for EDM/ambient are IMHO unbeatable (and I bought them for this kind of music), but maybe you wouldn't expect them to be such good also on jazz acoustic guitar :blush: ... before writing my impressions in the post above I have A/B'ed a couple of times with my other IEMs because I couldn't believe what I was hearing... and to be specific, I couldn't believe that for this very specific album (I'm not generalizing of course) EVO were better in pure technicalities than my loved MEST MKII....
changing subject, do you mind comparing EVO and Jewel specifically for metal / hard-rock ?
Jewel could be my next purchase, with my current IEMs I have all boxes ticked apart the "prog-metal / hard-rock"

May 4, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #35,594 of 40,559
@metaljem77 agree, EVO are definitely "niche". for EDM/ambient are IMHO unbeatable (and I bought them for this kind of music), but maybe you wouldn't expect them to be such good also on jazz acoustic guitar :blush: ... before writing my impressions in the post above I have A/B'ed a couple of times with my other IEMs because I couldn't believe what I was hearing... and to be specific, I couldn't believe that for this very specific album (I'm not generalizing of course) EVO were better in pure technicalities than my loved MEST MKII....
changing subject, do you mind comparing EVO and Jewel specifically for metal / hard-rock ?
Jewel could be my next purchase, with my current IEMs I have all boxes ticked apart the "prog-metal / hard-rock"
Will you be auditioning Jewel before you buy it or is it a blind buy? I think I’m the last person to ask (amateur and unlearned) so I’ll give it a shot. I prefer EVO paired with my ideal cable(s) for metal/hard rock any day, this genre is simply fantastic when one can experience visceral thumps (which EVO excels in in my view). But don’t get me wrong, Jewel does a fine job for this genre and with the DD, I was prepared to pull the purchase trigger. I think if there was no DD, I’d prob not get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back