Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #35,059 of 40,713
Also, using Odin with a phone only is almost a sacrilege.😱 But seriously, get a "real" dongle like Canyins RU6 etc. and enjoy the full potential of your Odins. Or even better, get a decent DAP.😅😉👍
I have found the Audioquest Cobalt with their anti jitter dongle are an incredible value for sound and so simple to use. It’s my favorite dac/dongle for in the go.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #35,061 of 40,713
hmmm I Wouldn't say more versatile it is just a different approach. Evo is more energetic, Odin is more natural maybe but also has that bass. Maybe "in your face" but it is there. When you hve to get just one IEM to fit for every genre I would pick Odin. For rock this is tough, they work both in a different way.
In different way? And what's the difference?

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #35,063 of 40,713
To go back to your original question, "old style rock." What do you MEAN by that? Name names. If you are talking about the 1960s, keep in mind that the bass is not the lead instrument, the mix/mastering doesn't really include sub-bass, and that the sound is balanced with the bass being basically part of the rhythm section under the rest. So, Beatles/Stones style. Once you get to the 1970s/1980s, with harder rock and big hair, bass plays a larger part. So, Led Zeppelin/Motley Crew. Definitely a fuller sound. With EDM, bass is a large (huge) part of the sound. Modern Pop is also reliant on lots of bass.

So it really depends on what you are looking for and what you listen to. And keep in mind your source is also part of the sound sig, so getting a warm IEM and then pairing it with a warm DAP might not take you where you want to go. There are no exact answers and it really comes down to your preferences. It's a lot of money, so do your due diligence.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #35,064 of 40,713
60s, 70s, 80s rock starting with The Doors and Jimmi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, White Snake, ZZ Top e t.c., Rock n' Blues, and vocals like Agnes Obel.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #35,065 of 40,713
So you go from moderate bass to heavy bass. My Zeus handles Doors/Hendrix just fine, but it would not be the same for the rest. I've read that the Odin is like the Zeus but with more bass and an upper-mid treble bump that some don't like. My experience with the LX (short) was that it was too thick a sound for me. If you want bone-rattling bass, I guess the Evo would be your choice. If you want more detail and perhaps more clarity, still with appreciable bass, the Odin might do. You should consider taking a look/asking here at other IEMs (EE and others) to get a better idea of your choices. There may be some, possibly even at a lower price point, that would suit your needs better. Remember, the more you can describe the sound signature you are looking for, the better. And, as you have the SPK2T, which starts warm and then can get warmer, you need to be careful what you pair it with. I don't think you would want to pair the Evo with the SPK2T in Amp mode as the sound might get squishy.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #35,066 of 40,713
For versitility I would go for the Odin. The detail and layering is superb. As you already own the Nio, Legend X would out of my way. It is going in the same direction. When you want to feel the bass more with the bone conduction driver legend evo is an option. Mest mk1 or mk2 can also do the job at halt the price.
If full BA is your thing Vison Ears VE8 is amazing for rock.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #35,067 of 40,713
What's better for the old style rock and for vocals odin or evo?

I’ve got Evo and never heard Odin so bear that in mind.

I’m not a huge classic rock listener (but I did have Whole Lotta Love on today) but I’m into doom (metal)/psych/stoner rock which is heavily influenced by that music. Evo is the best IEM or headphone I’ve ever heard with this genre, and that’s mainly due to how the dynamic diver and the bone conductor handles the bass. It’s so full, textured and deep and I find it scintillating with this kind of music (but also equally deft at keeping up with fast paced metal too!)

For reference, I keep tabs on a monthly list of new releases in this sub-genre of music; on a site called Doom Charts. Today I’ve been listening to the latest releases by bands Restless Spirit and King Buffalo. Both sound really really good on Evo.

If anyone wants to check this out here’s a link:

https://doomcharts.com/2022/01/01/doom-charts-december-2021/

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #35,068 of 40,713
What's better for the old style rock and for vocals odin or evo?
not sure about the answer, as other have already said it will heavily depends on your library. but one thing I know for sure: you must listen to both before buying. both have this "peculiar" EE pinna gain, and if you are sensitive in that area, it will be a big (BIG) problem.

personally, I was going to buy Odin, had my card ready, but after having listened to both I decided for the EVO, basically for two reasons: 1. they fit better in my current IEM collection and 2. Odin is more linear in the bass region, and this in turn will enhance even more the pinna gain perception

for point 2. it is important to understand "where" in the fr you point your comfortable listening volume. if, say, you need a certain amount of bass to enjoy your music, and set the overall volume to reach that level, with EVO the mids and treble will be much lower than with Odin. something like:
graph.png

while if you set your listening level on the mids, you will get much (MUCH) more basses and lower treble with the EVO, something like this:
graph2.png

I'm not saying one or the other is wrong, it will depend on your taste and library. I have preferred the EVO because I want a full bass foundation when I listen to music, but I suffer a lot from too enhanced upper mids. but of course this also means that central mids are fairly recessed.
as usual YMMV, unfortunately with this kind of very "personal" tuning the only way is to listen for yourself, every ear is different.
all of the above is of course just IMHO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back