Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 14, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #35,041 of 40,729
you think RU6 can actually show full potential of Empire Ears?
I know that dongles like RU6, L&P W2 or Lotoo S2 are certainly better than nothing at all.

You might still not get 100% out of your precious IEMs but you get a lot more than from a 50 cent phone DAC.

That being said, it takes a dedicated source to unleash the full potential of something like the Odin but a decent dongle is a good start. You will be surprised about the differences.😉
If you can, test different gear and then decide what you like best.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #35,042 of 40,729
I know that dongles like RU6, L&P W2 or Lotoo S2 are certainly better than nothing at all.

You might still not get 100% out of your precious IEMs but you get a lot more than from a 50 cent phone DAC.

That being said, it takes a dedicated source to unleash the full potential of something like the Odin but a decent dongle is a good start. You will be surprised about the differences.😉
If you can, test different gear and then decide what you like best.
I agree. Also, source is (guesstimate) 20%-25% of the SQ in the chain compared to 70%+ the actual IEM. If the source gives you enough power to properly drive the IEM, and the synergy matches your sound preferences, going up the price range from dongle to flagship DAP is a journey of hard diminishing returns in the bigger picture. Also, if you value portability, then it doesn't make sense to look at bigger transportable or desktop amps (that of course can give the IEM far more power), because the point is moot if you need to move around with them.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #35,044 of 40,729
An Odin on an iPhone? Gee, maybe I'll try running some wired Apple earbuds off of my SP2KT. Or drive my Ferrari using low-octane gas.

Seriously, you spent $3.5K on an IEM. Get yourself a decent small DAP for around $1K and be able to fully enjoy your Odin. An iPhone just isn't going to do it. The Odin is much easier to drive than the Wraith, but there is still the need to feed it enough power to let it stretch (as you have discovered).

Synergy between source and IEM is important for sound quality. Power is important for some IEMs, but synergy is the most important consideration. Read up here on who is driving their Odins with what. You don't need to go to a TOTL DAP to be happy.

Many of us here do, of course. :)

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #35,045 of 40,729
buy a used chord mojo for 300 bucks and you will be literally shocked

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #35,047 of 40,729
So, it seems that quite a few here received their Genesis cable. Sounds great :L3000:. Should I wait some more, or drop a mail? I do not mind waiting a bit more, but I'd also like to know that my cable is in the works .... Thanks.
I admire your patience... it’s been quite a while. I would have reached out long ago.

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #35,048 of 40,729
An Odin on an iPhone? Gee, maybe I'll try running some wired Apple earbuds off of my SP2KT. Or drive my Ferrari using low-octane gas.

Seriously, you spent $3.5K on an IEM. Get yourself a decent small DAP for around $1K and be able to fully enjoy your Odin. An iPhone just isn't going to do it. The Odin is much easier to drive than the Wraith, but there is still the need to feed it enough power to let it stretch (as you have discovered).

Synergy between source and IEM is important for sound quality. Power is important for some IEMs, but synergy is the most important consideration. Read up here on who is driving their Odins with what. You don't need to go to a TOTL DAP to be happy.

Many of us here do, of course. :)
Actually Odins (and trailli and EVO) sound great off an iPhone running through a L&P w2. They sound a better out of my DX300, but the difference is a lot smaller than you would imagine. The w2 sounds a ton better than the apple headphone adapter. Odins also sound very good out of the lotoo paw s1, though I prefer the w2. Haven’t heard the paw s2 or the new cayin dongle, but the sound quality you can get out of them is pretty astounding.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #35,051 of 40,729
Actually Odins (and trailli and EVO) sound great off an iPhone running through a L&P w2. They sound a better out of my DX300, but the difference is a lot smaller than you would imagine. The w2 sounds a ton better than the apple headphone adapter. Odins also sound very good out of the lotoo paw s1, though I prefer the w2. Haven’t heard the paw s2 or the new cayin dongle, but the sound quality you can get out of them is pretty astounding.
I can also recommend A&K SE 200 and SR25 with 2,5mm connector. Really impressive and still very portable.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #35,053 of 40,729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back