Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #34,831 of 40,587
Thank you for your reply. I love bass hence my purchase of the LX, were the Odin to have less in this particular area would probably make it a no go for me. I guess I was hoping the Odin would have a similar tuning to the LX, just be 'better'.
Sounds like it's the EVO you want. The Odin is quite different. Great bass too, but much more forward in the mids.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #34,832 of 40,587
Thank you for your reply. I love bass hence my purchase of the LX, were the Odin to have less in this particular area would probably make it a no go for me. I guess I was hoping the Odin would have a similar tuning to the LX, just be 'better'.
+1 to EVO if you want a technically-proficient bass beast. It'll be much cleaner and tighter in the lows, but you won't get the same lush midrange as from LX. As @MatW noted, it's more upper-midrange forward and revealing. Odin is more subbass than midbass punch, and more about layering and microdetail (excellent, but not similar to OG LX).

You might want to also look into the new FiR XE6-it's somewhat an L-shape with excellent forward bass, thicker, warmer midrange with laid-back treble but nice sparkle. Closer to OG LX signature than Odin and EVO IMO, but with definitely less elevated bass within the overall signature.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #34,834 of 40,587
Things are heating up :thermometer_face:

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 19.37.13.png

"Regarding the alleged infringement of UM's bone conduction technology patent by a US brand product (sold by an agent in Hong Kong), UM has obtained evidence through legal means and will soon enter the litigation stage. We hereby kindly remind all relevant agents that a certain product of this brand is infringing, please handle it with caution. Don't be a promoter of tortious behavior and avoid being involved in it."
Outside from the Audio world, I never saw behavior like that from any company. first ConX now WX.

I think we should stop using X on the names and everyone will be alright. :p

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #34,836 of 40,587
Maybe use that undecipherable glyph that Prince used for his name. Of perhaps use names like Elon Musk did for his kid. Go WAAAAAY out there with the naming.
As Johnny Cash once sung, a boy named Sue was too way out there. 😁

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #34,838 of 40,587
Things are heating up :thermometer_face:

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 19.37.13.png

"Regarding the alleged infringement of UM's bone conduction technology patent by a US brand product (sold by an agent in Hong Kong), UM has obtained evidence through legal means and will soon enter the litigation stage. We hereby kindly remind all relevant agents that a certain product of this brand is infringing, please handle it with caution. Don't be a promoter of tortious behavior and avoid being involved in it."
The defamation counter suit is where it’ll get real spicy.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #34,839 of 40,587
Hi EE club, need some advice on what to buy, either to add/replace one of my current IEMS.

Have always been interested in the Odins, I'm a fan of technicalities and the faceplate just looks awesome. Currently there's Odins and EVOs available used in UK which is quite rare. I'm also a big fan of bass however...

I mostly listen to; EDM, Modern Pop, female vocals, movie soundtracks, very occasionally some rock/metal. I very rarely/never listen to orchestral/jazz.

My IEM experience is limited and currently only have ;
•CA Solaris (OG) - I love the gold faceplate, use these for the gym so stays in my gym bag, enjoy the bass. The fit with foam tips initially were problematic as was quite big , but now they seem fine. Would probably not listen to them for hours at the end. I bought these new as my first high end headphone/iem so have some bias attachment to it.
•Noble Katanas - Kind of plain looking, but technically impressive, small and comfortable fit, my "everyday carry iems" and carry them in my bag everywhere even if they are not used daily. Also really enjoy them for the soundstage and vocals although they seem to do well with everything I listen to.

If I go out commuting I'd likely carry the solaris more.

Given the above, do you think Odin or Evo would make more sense? Could either replace one of my current iems, or just make space for a third? :thinking:

I did also consider the Noble Sultans, but since I already own a Noble iem, thought I'd try an Empire Ears.
Honestly, try to find a secondhand LX and put it on a neutral source. If that’s not to your liking I’d say evaluate what was off-putting. If the bass presence was too much, go Odin. If the mid to treble detail was less than desired but you liked the bass, go EVO.

Above all suggestions, demo them first.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #34,841 of 40,587
Could someone please summarize the main differences in sound between the LX and Odin?
LX - the bass initially captivates you but after the honeymoon phase, you realize they are technically impressive elsewhere. Very smooth and easy to enjoy.

Odin - Detail and resolution monsters with a decent helping of that EE bass depth and texture. They command attention but reward you with rediscovering your library. Some say upper mids are too elevated but it’s a mixed bag and I personally never had that issue.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #34,842 of 40,587
SP2K-A100TB-PS100-EEOD-PWOR.jpeg

Some Odin love with my new toys -- the Aroma Audio A100TB+PS100 -- driving the SP2K. Not that either the Odin or SP2K needed the extra juice, and expectedly, though the net SQ gain was in all honesty only incremental; Trifonov on Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 was a breath airier, noise floor a half shade blacker... a tad tighter control on the bass, specks of micro-details here and there on Melody Gardot's Mira and Wayfaring Stranger (Live), there's no denying the overall refinement -- better instruments and space separation, and most notably polishing off the Odin's rough edges, especially the pushy mids and harsh-ish trebles, makes for less fatiguing and all around more enjoyable listening. Odin on weeds, if you will... I like it. 😎

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #34,843 of 40,587
SP2K-A100TB-PS100-EEOD-PWOR.jpeg
Some Odin love with my new toys -- the Aroma Audio A100TB+PS100 -- driving the SP2K. Not that either the Odin or SP2K needed the extra juice, and expectedly, though the net SQ gain was in all honesty only incremental; Trifonov on Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 was a breath airier, noise floor a half shade blacker... a tad tighter control on the bass, specks of micro-details here and there on Melody Gardot's Mira and Wayfaring Stranger (Live), there's no denying the overall refinement -- better instruments and space separation, and most notably polishing off the Odin's rough edges, especially the pushy mids and harsh-ish trebles, makes for less fatiguing and all around more enjoyable listening. Odin on weeds, if you will... I like it. 😎
😱 What a setup…. Cool looking customs, man.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #34,844 of 40,587
Nice.

What’s the hardware on the orphy?

All kinda custom stuff going on with that setup…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back