Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #33,391 of 40,724
Omg. There are already 2 evos on the classifies. Don't know if i should pick one up. If the mids are more recessed than LX i might hold off on these.
Not more recessed than OG, at all. Maybe less lower mids prominent. LX is true L-shape, meanwhile depending on tip, out-of-box EVO will give more forward upper mids which gives a higher technical performance and clarity for instruments. Bass compliments Traillii's nicely in the sense that it hits harder and more authentic from the DDs, meanwhile Traillii just subbass focuses more.

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #33,392 of 40,724
Appointment booked to demo the EVO tomorrow. Whether I like them or not is no big deal for me since they don't come in custom anyway and I have no desire to buy them until otherwise, I'm just curious to try them out and very excited at that.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #33,393 of 40,724
EVOmacro2Resize.jpg
EVOmacro3Full.jpg

Playing with new macro lens.. colors came out wild straight from the camera

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #33,394 of 40,724
Omg. There are already 2 evos on the classifies. Don't know if i should pick one up. If the mids are more recessed than LX i might hold off on these.

Not sure if this reflects on the SQ. Obviously, quite a lot have been sold and it makes sense to let go of one quickly in case it was only a tryout.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #33,395 of 40,724
Not sure if this reflects on the SQ. Obviously, quite a lot have been sold and it makes sense to let go of one quickly in case it was only a tryout.
…it doesn’t.

As I mentioned, my sale is due to fit.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #33,396 of 40,724
…it doesn’t.

As I mentioned, my sale is due to fit.

When I saw a picture of the EVO compared to the Odin size wise, I wondered if the larger size would pose a problem for some.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #33,397 of 40,724
its a fit issue for me personally. :relaxed:

it’s possible it won’t be an issue for others, but I have enough iems I love that also fit me well…so this will be someone else’s gain.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #33,398 of 40,724
The 100 hours is a fair comment - for the DDs, it won’t affect the BAs in the upper mids or the treble. So @aaf evo issues won’t be solved by burn in.

Not so fast, the upper mids/lower treble did settle in after 100+ hours, additionally I hear more of a w signature. The other thing, I've found very small movements, dialing in if you will, to get the most out of the Weapon X.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #33,399 of 40,724
Tube works excellently with Traillii, softening the edges ever so slightly for a more "euphoric" and "warm hug" type of listening. Solid State is also impressive, staging is wider than 3MAX, perhaps a touch less depth and bass dynamics particularly subbass might go to 3MAX. But I think "black background" + "punchier bass" are two things that Signature aimed to improve upon right? Haven't given a full listen with EVO yet.

(Feel free to PM me directly, don't want to hijack the thread, thank you).

I concur, even the little M3Pro is a nice pairing.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #33,400 of 40,724
Well, that's something. Switched 1960 4W (Traillii stock cable) onto EVO with SP2000 and noticed a much more W-balanced signature, with a touch more sparkle and richer mids. Some nice PRAT going on with overall smoother transients. Not sure if Genesis needs a burn-in or something but definitely enjoying this cable switch. I also noticed Genesis elevate upper mids on the Traillii versus stock on the other side. Curious what users notice with cable rolling. (Cable skeptics, my bad).

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #33,402 of 40,724
Well, that's something. Switched 1960 4W (Traillii stock cable) onto EVO with SP2000 and noticed a much more W-balanced signature, with a touch more sparkle and richer mids. Some nice PRAT going on with overall smoother transients. Not sure if Genesis needs a burn-in or something but definitely enjoying this cable switch. I also noticed Genesis elevate upper mids on the Traillii versus stock on the other side. Curious what users notice with cable rolling. (Cable skeptics, my bad).
It’s a thing. EVO responds to any nuance whether it be tips, sources or cables. I’ve heard it myself and based on many comments I’ve seen, others have as well.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #33,403 of 40,724
Seems like a few people are ultimately, “meh” about the upper mids of the EVO. So I played some tracks as recommended to see what others were hearing. A common theme I noticed was the correlation of instrument accuracy and overloaded electronic tracks, with respect to the upper high / low treble.

Dean tunes his high mid to low treble ranges to mimic instrument energy and accuracy. Typically a group of musicians will consciously balance that out themselves to avoid too much going on there. With electronic mixes I think sometimes less conscious efforts are exercised to avoid being too energetic in that area. After all, a lot of electronic music is energetic and mixed with crazy next level tech to capture and reproduce that vibrancy. I’m almost curious if they master their tracks assuming most listeners will be hearing it on typical muddy consumerish headphones. It would make sense as that would offer additional definition and clarity to please or wow most listeners. Just a thought and not a critique or criticism of anyones musical choices.

If anyone knows I’d like to hear it. The science of it all is pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #33,404 of 40,724
Seems like a few people are ultimately, “meh” about the upper mids of the EVO. So I played some tracks as recommended to see what others were hearing. A common theme I noticed was the correlation of instrument accuracy and overloaded electronic tracks, with respect to the upper high / low treble.

Dean tunes his high mid to low treble ranges to mimic instrument energy and accuracy. Typically a group of musicians will consciously balance that out themselves to avoid too much going on there. With electronic mixes I think sometimes less conscious efforts are exercised to avoid being too energetic in that area. After all, a lot of electronic music is energetic and mixed with crazy next level tech to capture and reproduce that vibrancy. I’m almost curious if they master their tracks assuming most listeners will be hearing it on typical muddy consumerish headphones. It would make sense as that would offer additional definition and clarity to please or wow most listeners. Just a thought and not a critique or criticism of anyones musical choices.
Not sure if that is a fair argument given a lot of these folks are using other summit-fi IEMs that are the antithesis of “muddy” and not hearing elevated, overloaded upper-mids, even on these same “non-audiophile” type tracks.

I want someone else with more cables to cable roll to confirm or deny, but I genuinely attribute initial “meh” impressions, myself included, to possibly the Genesis synergy, which kinda sucks but let’s see. I can even hear some of the BCD magic that I recall from Mason FS. I had literally 0 of that from stock cable. Thoroughly enjoying my listen🤷🏼‍♂️

Oct 12, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #33,405 of 40,724

If anyone knows I’d like to hear it. The science of it all is pretty interesting.

I am assuming this is directed towards me as I’m one of the only few that’s expressed some concern with upper mids and treble and given tracks to elaborate on my claims too.

I understand your theory about the way Evo is tuned and the way the music may be mastered. However, these are the two IEMs I am comparing. They are not drastically different in the upper mids to mid treble, they mainly differentiate in the upper treble.

The difference in what I perceive as quality in the highs of both is rather substantial. X has quite an upper mid range emphasis too but the rendition is silky smooth and free of any harshness. Now, I’m unsure if I find Evo harsh maybe because there’s less upper treble? I assumed the more elevated bass would help balance it out a bit, but it just comes off as harsh to me. 🤷🏽‍♂️ There’s no way for me to really know. I can only go based off what my ears tell me.
4F7A069D-DFC1-4F4B-954D-D0FAEEE347DE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back