Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #32,416 of 40,591
It's here!
1632228172569.png

IMG-20210921-WA0002.jpeg

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #32,419 of 40,591
I made a little unboxing video, but can't upload here unfortunately.

Curious to see what is included inside of the retail package. As far as I know, only a few official review samples were sent out and it was before retail package was available. So, I assume you got it because you are a retailer and probably can't post it due to being MoT? But can you at least let us know if the packaging box the same as Odin and other EE releases? And I assume, Final Type E eartips included, as well as launch edition Vishnu leather case and double-pocket mesh sleeve, right?

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #32,420 of 40,591
Curious to see what is included inside of the retail package. As far as I know, only a few official review samples were sent out and it was before retail package was available. So, I assume you got it because you are a retailer and probably can't post it due to being MoT? But can you at least let us know if the packaging box the same as Odin and other EE releases? And I assume, Final Type E eartips included, as well as launch edition Vishnu leather case and double-pocket mesh sleeve, right?
I don't want to speak for @TomKorn, but the video is posted on IG. From what I saw:
-the packaging is not the same 'tiered' box as more recent releases; it's a new design
-i didn't see a mesh sleeve
-couldn't tell what sorts of ear tips were included, but they looked like their typical final E tips
-the unit he unboxed is not a launch edition (i.e., it came with the metal puck case, not the Vishnu leather case)

To be clear, the box was labeled as "demo," and so it's not entirely clear if this reflects the full retail version.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #32,421 of 40,591
Absolutely. My Bifrost 2 + THX AAA 789 outperforms all of my DAPs. Recently, I purchased a Chord Hugo TT2 and it is spectacular with my IEMs.

Thanks. I’m definitely leaning towards keeping Bifrost 2 and adding an amp. Then I think I’ll use the Shanling as a portable device and move on the Hugo2.

The Topping A90 is great for both headphones and IEMs.

Thanks for this recommendation. I’d forgotten about this unit. From what I can tell it has the same footprint as the Bifrost as well so can happy stack those two. Seen a few good prices for some second hand ones too.

Got a couple of follows for you…

Does the A90 run hot at all? My old Ragnarok OG was an absolute killer for heat.

Is 4.4mm balanced headphone out still ok for IEMs, or is there too much power?

How is the stage width/depth of the A90?

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #32,422 of 40,591
Does the A90 run hot at all? My old Ragnarok OG was an absolute killer for heat.
No issues. I have it stacked with the D90.
Is 4.4mm balanced headphone out still ok for IEMs, or is there too much power?
It is excellent for IEMs. Dead silent. One of the main benefits of this device is its versatility.
How is the stage width/depth of the A90?
It does a great job all around imo, certainly for this price point.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #32,423 of 40,591
I'll upload some pictures later. I guess that I am still allowed to do... And yes, I believe that is the retail package.. They changed it.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #32,424 of 40,591
No issues. I have it stacked with the D90.

It is excellent for IEMs. Dead silent. One of the main benefits of this device is its versatility.

It does a great job all around imo, certainly for this price point.

Thanks, helps a lot!

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #32,425 of 40,591
Glad to see the review/demo units are shipping. Look forward to your first impressions, if you're allowed to post them here before general availability.
Would love to. But: MoT. Can't give my opinion anymore. 😔 I'll have to leave that to others. I will though post some impressions in my own blog. Of course, I am not allowed to link it here. 😂

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #32,426 of 40,591
Thanks, helps a lot!
I just plugged in my Andromeda MW10 to double check. As you know CA IEMs are notorious for hiss, but with the A90 there is absolutely zero hiss. Remarkable. It's probably a good idea to attenuate the incoming volume from the DAC, to have more room to manoeuvre on the volume dial.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #32,428 of 40,591
Sep 21, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #32,429 of 40,591
It's here! 1632228172569.png

Thx Tom!!! Let us know your impressions!

I don't know if I am allowed to post links to Instagram but here is the unboxing video from Tom / Audioessence: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUFd1d-FGr3/

Personally, I like the new box and interesting to see the IEM is now in the case. Love the cable + IEM combo though!

Enjoy all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back