Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #28,396 of 40,714
Hi folks,

Just received a pair of JVC Spiral Dots++ from Amazon JP and have gone on a tip rolling quest between these and the standard Final E Tips.

Initial impressions aren't great if I'm honest, for my tastes anyway. The midrange seems to be pushed forward with the bass taking a hit in its overall power. Treble seems to be a bit lighter and airier but all of these factors combined give it a more sterile sound signature with a seemingly smaller soundstage, taking away that 'fun' element to some extent that these earphones provide.

Admittedly this is the first time I have tip rolled and am finding it hard to differentiate between the two tips on certain songs...

I am assuming the seal is good as I've always had 12mm medium tips and nothing is making me think these don't seal properly.

I'll post further impressions once I get more time to A/B these tips!

What are all of your go to songs when tip rolling or A/B testing and what do you listen out for in those songs to differentiate tips or headphones? Looking for something a bit different to my current Deezer library :)

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #28,398 of 40,714
All this talk about tips makes me wonder what you guys are using on Odin? So far I have tried Sedna earfit lights (standard), FAudio Vocal tips, spiral dots ++, spinfit CP100, CP145, CP500 and CP155 and so far the best have been the CP155’s.
Also using CP155 :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #28,399 of 40,714
20210407_162351_HDR.jpg

I've just got a couple pairs of these in, the new Spiral Dot SF (stress free). As you can see it's quite a unique design, with a half height umbrella that puts less pressure on your inner ear as they go in.

So far I'm really liking them on the LX, and they're the only tips I've tried (among Sedna, original Spiral Dot, Spiral Dot++, SpinFit CP145 and Final E) that get me a good fit on the Bravado Mk II (and supposedly Odin given it uses the same larger shell with the longer nozzle as the B2).

Haven't directly compared to the original Spiral Dot yet, but the deeper fit with the SF definitely changes the sound profile slightly. Suggest trying your regular size and one size up, as these don't seal quite as quickly or thoroughly as the originals.

Spiral Dots definitely diffuse the sound slightly, which I find gentler and more appealing. Bass still hits hard but not as hard as Sedna or Final E, which are the gontonfor punchy, crispy sound. Rolling between Sedna and Spirals can give you two different but equally enjoyable presentations. Doesn't have to be either or, I like both (and can now add SF to the mix).

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #28,400 of 40,714
as a huge funk/groove fan (and connoisseur) , let me suggest some old-school feelgood funk dynamite albums , J is ok-ish but he is a 6 in my funk book (whereas the albums coming up are classics 9+ , in my personal judgement ofc :xf_cool: )

check them out , let me know what you think and how these albums sound on your Odin

Parliament - Funkentelechy (1977)
Chic - C'est chic (1978)
Change - The Glow of Love (1980)

Thanks for these recommendations. Chic is another favourite as is early Diana Ross. Any others? I need to explore artists I've never listened to before.

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #28,401 of 40,714
A cable I'm trying for the first time tonight on the LX, based on a post earlier by @subguy812 is the PW No.10 8 wire, it's not a bank breaker, and he's right it does sound really great!
Mine is not 8-wire, but I do like the sound and it is a fairly priced alternative.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #28,402 of 40,714
Thanks for these recommendations. Chic is another favourite as is early Diana Ross. Any others? I need to explore artists I've never listened to before.

Sister Sledge - We Are Family(1979) , which in essence is a Chic album (written by Nile & Bernard , and sung by the SS sisters)

Earth Wind And Fire
, is another Hall Of Fame funk band that grooves like a MF

start with Spirit (1976) and All'N'All (1977) and work your way chronologically up until 1983

Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975) , is another Munt Rushmore funk masterpiece

and try everything Bootsy Collins did between 1976-82

Young(er) people today think that bands like Daft Punk are geniuses when they are just smooth hyped copycats (6/10 max)

and to them i say - educate yourselves , go back to the real thing (like the artists/albums mentioned here) :xf_cool:

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #28,403 of 40,714
which models are those cables? if there is no model "name" - what materials and # of wires?
No model names. Best to PM @doctorjuggles directly.
The top one is a copper/silver mix; the bottom is pure silver. Both 8 wires. Very supple, not bulky at all. Amazing craftsmanship, as you can tell from the pics.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #28,404 of 40,714
Cool. Thanks!

I see 2 different cables. Right? or are there more than 2 different cables?
Can you provide details on # of wires and material for each?
How do they compare to the Stormbreaker when used with your LX? and compared to the Ares II that come stock with the LX?
Correct. Both are 4 wire, Type 4 Litz one being OCC and the other being SPC. I honestly don’t remember the specs other than that.

I prefer these to the stormbreaker on my LX.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #28,407 of 40,714
Apr 10, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #28,408 of 40,714
For those that likes Slipknot and have an LX.

Slipknot - All Out Life

Go for that on your LX loud, but on a safe level. You will hear the power of the W9 and the balance with mids and highs. Powerful but not overwhelming.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #28,410 of 40,714

I've just got a couple pairs of these in, the new Spiral Dot SF (stress free). As you can see it's quite a unique design, with a half height umbrella that puts less pressure on your inner ear as they go in.

So far I'm really liking them on the LX, and they're the only tips I've tried (among Sedna, original Spiral Dot, Spiral Dot++, SpinFit CP145 and Final E) that get me a good fit on the Bravado Mk II (and supposedly Odin given it uses the same larger shell with the longer nozzle as the B2).

Haven't directly compared to the original Spiral Dot yet, but the deeper fit with the SF definitely changes the sound profile slightly. Suggest trying your regular size and one size up, as these don't seal quite as quickly or thoroughly as the originals.

Spiral Dots definitely diffuse the sound slightly, which I find gentler and more appealing. Bass still hits hard but not as hard as Sedna or Final E, which are the gontonfor punchy, crispy sound. Rolling between Sedna and Spirals can give you two different but equally enjoyable presentations. Doesn't have to be either or, I like both (and can now add SF to the mix).
Those must be the circumcised tips!! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back