Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 11, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #26,596 of 40,577
I find I can fine-tune the bass response with the Legend X Universal by slightly adjusting depth/seal and thus get a perfect sound per musical selection. I find the highs and instrument placement delightful.

With this in mind, would you all reassure me that there is no need for me to even consider spending the exorbitant amount required for Odin as I have all I need for total eternal satisfaction with Legend X?

I and my wallet thank you in advance. :)
Ask yourself this, does the LX do justice to most of your music library? If so, what will you be gaining with a new IEM? And if not, what are you trying to fix?

This will help with the decision for any new IEM, Odin or otherwise.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #26,597 of 40,577
Ask yourself this, does the LX do justice to most of your music library? If so, what will you be gaining with a new IEM? And if not, what are you trying to fix?

This will help with the decision for any new IEM, Odin or otherwise.
You forgot to add that deleting Head fi account could help treat new toy syndrome drastically.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #26,598 of 40,577
You forgot to add that deleting Head fi account could help treat new toy syndrome drastically.
True, but where's the fun in that? Then you're all alone, just you and your music, and noone to show off your toys to (because you for sure ain't showing your wife!).

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #26,599 of 40,577
True, but where's the fun in that? Then you're all alone, just you and your music, and noone to show off your toys to (because you for sure ain't showing your wife!).
I actually do show off my new gear to my wife. But im sure you can imagine what reaction i get..

One thing i never boast about, is the price. That was one off mistake...

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #26,600 of 40,577
I actually do show off my new gear to my wife. But im sure you can imagine what reaction i get..

One thing i never boast about, is the price. That was one off mistake...
I tried bragging about how much I saved by buying used gear. Somehow that did not work either... :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #26,602 of 40,577
I find I can fine-tune the bass response with the Legend X Universal by slightly adjusting depth/seal and thus get a perfect sound per musical selection. I find the highs and instrument placement delightful.

With this in mind, would you all reassure me that there is no need for me to even consider spending the exorbitant amount required for Odin as I have all I need for total eternal satisfaction with Legend X?

I and my wallet thank you in advance. :)

Oh yeah if you’re asking if Odin will be a direct upgrade to your LX, then definitely not. They’re entirely different IEMs. I’ve actually tried to find a direct upgrade to LX and haven’t found one since it’s so unique in its high technicalities, yet rich and warm, dark signature-this journey consisted of the likes of Thummim, LXSE, and even Rhapsodio Sagga.

As Skullar perfectly summarized, Odin’s bass is less warm with more accuracy and control, and it does subbass very well but you don’t necessarily get the same warm visceral slam/boom of the LX.

Odin is more resolving (sometimes too resolving depending on the track quality) with a more balanced presentation versus LX’s L-shaped. The biggest different will likely be the soundstage depth where it can layer instruments and vocals very well on a 3D-like axis. Odin has a sharper (yet still smooth) attack on upper mids and lower treble.

So as others have noted, if LX near perfectly suits your genres and preferences, there really isn’t much like it out there. Odin will just be an entirely different experience that does not fit the same niche. Now...if you wanted a complimentary piece, then I plead the fifth 🙃

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #26,603 of 40,577
Oh yeah if you’re asking if Odin will be a direct upgrade to your LX, then definitely not. They’re entirely different IEMs. I’ve actually tried to find a direct upgrade to LX and haven’t found one since it’s so unique in its high technicalities, yet rich and warm, dark signature-this journey consisted of the likes of Thummim, LXSE, and even Rhapsodio Sagga.

As Skullar perfectly summarized, Odin’s bass is less warm with more accuracy and control, and it does subbass very well but you don’t necessarily get the same warm visceral slam/boom of the LX.

Odin is more resolving (sometimes too resolving depending on the track quality) with a more balanced presentation versus LX’s L-shaped. The biggest different will likely be the soundstage depth where it can layer instruments and vocals very well on a 3D-like axis. Odin has a sharper (yet still smooth) attack on upper mids and lower treble.

So as others have noted, if LX near perfectly suits your genres and preferences, there really isn’t much like it out there. Odin will just be an entirely different experience that does not fit the same niche. Now...if you wanted a complimentary piece, then I plead the fifth 🙃

Thank you. This is the response I was looking for. While I found the previous discussion illuminating, I choose to focus on this one to quell or at least delay my terminal case of new toy syndrome.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #26,604 of 40,577
What types of genres did you find that Odin best suited? And did you prefer the Legend X with some? I'm assuming you listened to Odin at Hifonix?
Honestly im the worst person to ask when it comes to genres. Im into many different genrew of electronic music ranging from hardstyle to psychill etc. And then some modern orchestrals like Hans Zimmer, klaus Badelt,

I think its more of a synergy thinh to be honest. Legend X is obviously monster with electronic music with its soundstage and bass. But it needs brighter source for classical/orchestral im my ears.
Odin can do electronic well too. But i think it might get shouty for some. And it also could sound a bit unnatural on some instruments on orchestral so i believe warmer/thicker sounding source would accompany it better.

I think owner should be able to tell better. I just had a chance to audition it in Harrods just before 2nd lockdown for around 45mins along with Hero.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #26,605 of 40,577
Hi Skullar,
When listening to music I spend most of the time with Classical orchestral as well as chamber music. Due to my impression ODIN does sound extremelly well with Classical music. Odin's high resolving and fine display properties enable him to perform soo good as a Classical player. However, my preferred EE iem for Classical music is Wraith. His prominent ability is to always have the overview of the music, like a conductor, and displays it in a relaxed way. I should mention the VE Erlkönig as an exceptional IEM with Classical music, too. Each of these 3 mentioned IEMs works so good with Classical and each in his own manner. Although I normally prefer a sound that is close to a live concert experience, nowadays I really enjoy changing between ODIN, WRAITH and ERLKÖNIG.
I think, you cannot go wrong when buying ODIN, cause he is a real allrounder.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #26,606 of 40,577
Additionally I want to mention that ODIN's sound could be experienced as thin, but I would not call it shouty. Nevertheless, a warmer/thicker sounding sources would be an advantageous combination.
I enjoy Odin driven by a rather analytical sounding SP2000.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #26,607 of 40,577
Hi Skullar,
When listening to music I spend most of the time with Classical orchestral as well as chamber music. Due to my impression ODIN does sound extremelly well with Classical music. Odin's high resolving and fine display properties enable him to perform soo good as a Classical player. However, my preferred EE iem for Classical music is Wraith. His prominent ability is to always have the overview of the music, like a conductor, and displays it in a relaxed way. I should mention the VE Erlkönig as an exceptional IEM with Classical music, too. Each of these 3 mentioned IEMs works so good with Classical and each in his own manner. Although I normally prefer a sound that is close to a live concert experience, nowadays I really enjoy changing between ODIN, WRAITH and ERLKÖNIG.
I think, you cannot go wrong when buying ODIN, cause he is a real allrounder.
I also love classical so i think that the iem with BA bass is really suitable for this genre music because the speed of bass is very important and i recognized that the BA driver is really better than Dynamic. So this is a reason that you love ERL and Wraith than Odin in musical. The Dynamic driver is better rumble, texture and dept, it could play well with all of genre but i believe that the BA driver has the best of speed.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #26,608 of 40,577
I enjoy Odin driven by a rather analytical sounding SP2000
When listening to music I spend most of the time with Classical orchestral as well as chamber music.
I personally love upper mid presence and prefer slightly thinner mids on iems so even with dx220 Odin did not sound shouty for me.
I just noticed some impressions mentioning that, and fully understand that might be a case for some.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #26,609 of 40,577
What types of genres did you find that Odin best suited? And did you prefer the Legend X with some? I'm assuming you listened to Odin at Hifonix?
I actually bought my Odins from Hifonix. Great service as usual.
I auditioned with:
R.E.M hd
Lou Reed hd
Bob Dylan latest hd
Miles Davis
Pearl Jam
My Bloody Valentine
Drive by Truckers

In each case the Odins beat my previous favourite the Laylas. My wife noticed when listening to the Odins I was tapping my feet and smiling.
Nearly two weeks later nothing disappoints me about them and I’m listening around 5 hours a day on average.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #26,610 of 40,577
I actually bought my Odins from Hifonix. Great service as usual.
I auditioned with:
R.E.M hd
Lou Reed hd
Bob Dylan latest hd
Miles Davis
Pearl Jam
My Bloody Valentine
Drive by Truckers

In each case the Odins beat my previous favourite the Laylas. My wife noticed when listening to the Odins I was tapping my feet and smiling.
Nearly two weeks later nothing disappoints me about them and I’m listening around 5 hours a day on average.
If I lived closer I'd love to audition them. I'll be sure to swing by if I'm ever up that way.... ruining my life in the process, not being able to pull myself away without buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back