Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #24,391 of 40,587
sounds like you guys view the hero as a side grade compared to the z1r and Solaris? Any impressions of how hero stacks up to the U12t in terms of resolution and bass?
I wouldn't label as a side-grade, but could see how you might see it that way.
I am still getting to know the Hero, but I'd say (thus far) it just has a different signature than the Solaris 2020. Side-grade vs up-grade vs down-grade will just depend on your preferences. For me personally, I intend to keep them both because the differences are sufficient enough to warrant having both.
I haven't done an A/B with the U12t, but I plan to.
My guess is that the U12t will best the Hero in terms of sheer resolution, but fall short on bass.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #24,392 of 40,587
Alright, so some very very early impressions (bare in mind that I do believe in DD burn in and changes in the sound sig from cable changes). Notes are more like moments that I have taken when listening over the past 2 hours. Note - Comparisons with Solaris SE and Z1R were with Stock cable and Azla Sedna Light tips.

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 16.10.44.pngScreenshot 2020-08-27 at 16.10.51.png
Nice job!

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #24,393 of 40,587
Yeah Female vocals sound spot on on these as well. Great separation from the rest of frequencies... how am I supposed to choose between the Z1R and these 😫😂 anyone wanna donate some money to my paypal? I’ll send some photos of my toes or something? Hahaha
Better idea, I will send you PP if you DON'T show your toes

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #24,395 of 40,587
No, I wasn't trying to alter the sound quality, because actually the loss in transparency coming from silicone tips is what I noticed using the Comply tips. Sorry if I used the term muddy incorrectly. It feels to me like the songs I listen to are less coherent as a whole.

Well for now I'm just using a cheap Creative amp running out of my laptop, but the comparison of the Comply tips to the silicone tips is using the same source, so I expect the same thing to occur (maybe less noticably) when I buy a better dac/amp. But anyway the only reason I was trying different tips was because I have a larger ear canal on the left side, and I can't get consistent seal/comfort on both sides. Plus they tend to worm their way out on both sides if I'm getting too enthusiastic with my music. So I figure getting a CIEM might be able to address both problems at once, but I really am just worried about losing the transparency because they just sound so beautiful with the Final Audio tips. Still, I'll have to move on from Zeus if I want a CIEM, so it might be a moot point in asking because I'll have to let go of the sound signature anyway. But thanks for the reply in any case.:ksc75smile:
The solution for you may very well be the Sedna tips. I do prefer the short lights, but for your issue the Xelastec is my guess as the fix. They are “sticky” and have multiple sizes. Get a few different ones initially and return what does not work. Many of the folks here in head-if like them. Good luck.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #24,397 of 40,587
The Odin has Landed! Have been on back to back conference calls since it was delivered earlier today, but am listening now and definitely liking what I hear so far. A big thanks to Andrew and the bloom audio team for being great to coordinate with (and the chocolate)! Now the fun begins :ksc75smile:
DB16117C-B692-4D6D-AF50-DA66944C2B97.jpeg
DFAAD647-4FB3-4BCD-AE54-928E14AD7A51.jpeg

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #24,399 of 40,587
Damn, it seems @Andrew DiMarcangelo reserves the fancy chocolate for Odin. Lucky you!

Edit: I want some some feedback on the chocolate pronto.
It is the chocolate hierarchy caper. I think I got the premium chocolate with the Layla Aion. :ksc75smile:

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #24,401 of 40,587
@Tristy thanks for the impressions.
I am still working on mine (while letting the Hero burn in a bit), but a couple of your notes that resonated with me include:
-agreed there is a more mid-bass emphasis vs sub-bas
-agreed that the bass is well-controlled, almost restrained
-also agreed the solaris (I have the 2020, but had the SE) has more of a sub-bass focus/emphasis, and that the solaris is more holographic (but having said that, I find the stage on the Hero to be very very good)
-agreed that there is tremendous mid clarity

Regarding cable - do you recommend a silver-plated upgrade, or just a better all-copper cable? I could see how an upgraded all-copper cable might tame the treble just a bit, which would appeal to me personally. Thoughts?

Personally I’m not a fan of all copper cables, especially the Ares II / Alpha 4 (whatever Effect has named it now). To me they seem to attenuate the treble, make the signature quite warm and adds too much emphasis to the mid bass... now I cant say if these are attributes of all copper cables because I haven’t tried enough to come to that conclusion. I think SPC or a copper / silver alloy combination would pair the best with Hero tbh, still retaining the warmth of the copper but adding some more details and treble air. I’m quite curious how the PW audio Loki would pair with it tbh! But I only have it in MMCX.

Also, just to add that I do believe that cable burn in occurs. I have tested this with the ALO pure silver cable on both the Atlas and the Andromeda (both the same units with a new and well seasoned cable) and noticed that the seasoned cable was smoother than the new one on both IEMS so my criticisms of the Hero is likely to remedy itself with prolonged use.

Nice job!

Thank you! I’ll be sure to do more in-depth comparisons when I have some time.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #24,402 of 40,587
Personally I’m not a fan of all copper cables, especially the Ares II / Alpha 4 (whatever Effect has named it now). To me they seem to attenuate the treble, make the signature quite warm and adds too much emphasis to the mid bass... now I cant say if these are attributes of all copper cables because I haven’t tried enough to come to that conclusion. I think SPC or a copper / silver alloy combination would pair the best with Hero tbh, still retaining the warmth of the copper but adding some more details and treble air. I’m quite curious how the PW audio Loki would pair with it tbh! But I only have it in MMCX.

Also, just to add that I do believe that cable burn in occurs. I have tested this with the ALO pure silver cable on both the Atlas and the Andromeda (both the same units with a new and well seasoned cable) and noticed that the seasoned cable was smoother than the new one on both IEMS so my criticisms of the Hero is likely to remedy itself with prolonged use.

Thank you! I’ll be sure to do more in-depth comparisons when I have some time.
Thank you.
I'm considering a couple of all-copper cables, as well as a couple of silver/copper hybrids (not SPC)...leaning towards the latter for the Hero's.

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #24,403 of 40,587
Damn, it seems @Andrew DiMarcangelo reserves the fancy chocolate for Odin. Lucky you!

Edit: I want some some feedback on the chocolate pronto.
The chocolate is very tasty. Good amount of sweetness with fruity notes from the dark cocoa. The coffee beans add some nice depth to the flavor, and a smooth mouthfeel with some crunchiness from the coffee beans.

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #24,404 of 40,587
The chocolate is very tasty. Good amount of sweetness with fruity notes from the dark cocoa. The coffee beans add some nice depth to the flavor, and a smooth mouthfeel with some crunchiness from the coffee beans.

Ah fantastic, just what I was looking for.

The thread can be closed now.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #24,405 of 40,587
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back